starting strength gym
Page 3 of 321 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Attempting to start strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf123 View Post
    I realise my wrists bend, but they are not carrying anything or so it feels. If I want them to not bend I need a wider grip, but then my fingers are touching the rack.
    I have the exact same issue. Anybody have a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    I have the exact same issue. Anybody have a solution?
    I fixed it by putting my hands higher up on the bar, so my wrists are actually pushing into the bar with my clenched fists being in effect over the bar. Worked wonders for me.

I fixed it by putting my hands higher up on the bar, so my wrists are actually pushing into the bar with my clenched fists being in effect over the bar. Worked wonders for me.
    Thanks. I'll try that.

I should perhaps clarify - I'm still able to hold the bar with my fingers so I can squeze it. But the position is so high that I can't bend my wrists. You may experience you need to have the bar slighly higher on your back.

Since I joined a new gym 3 weeks ago, I had my first lesson with an instructor yesterday. He had very nice inputs on my squats and deadlifts, which immediately made sense.

It's a bit hard to list the entire workout, but technoique weight squats, deadlifts, benches (actually a full 3x5 100 kilo here) and presses were in abundance.

I was told to put a lot more focus on staying tight towards the bottom of the squat, which I'll incorporate over the next sessions.

Today's workout

400m on the treadmill

Squatting with revised technique 3x5 130 kilo - I'm having trouble going as deep with the new technique, but my back doesn't round. Will stay at this weight next time.
    Press 3x5 70 Kilo NEW PR. When I started I could push press 70 kilo 1 time, now I got a legitimate 3x5 press of that weight (jumping around the room)
    Power Cleans 5x3 60 kilos with presses on last 3. (technique round)

2x8 Pull ups and chin ups.

Had my fat percentage measured at 17% - how is this in the scheme of things?

Today's workout

400m on the treadmill

Squatting with revised technique 3x5 130 kilo - Weight seems more manageable, but I have a sense of falling forward out of the hole...
    Bench Press 101 kilo 1x4, 1x5, 1x3 - got caught under the bar on the first set, as I stupidly spent too long trying to touch the bar to my chest... Second set was solid.
    Deadlift 180 kilo plus locks near as dammit 400 pounds... 5 straight reps. I've never yelled as loud as I did when the I locked the 5th one. A giant landmark in my training, when I started february 1st, my goal was to deadlift 180 1 rep. Form was all over the place, but right now, that honestly doesn't matter.

2x8 Pull ups and chin ups. + 11 kilo
    2x8 dips +11 kilo

5x hill sprints

Had my fat percentage measured at 17% - how is this in the scheme of things?
    Depends on your goals. Most recommendations for general health would say 17% for a male is pretty decent. I see the number of 20% as a cutoff thrown around here on the board a lot. Anything higher than 20% and one is starting to get a bit fluffy.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    Depends on your goals. SNIP
    Strength...

starting strength coach development program
    Quick training today, due to business meeting and a 2 year old, who wasn't exactly quick out the door...

400m on the treadmill

Squat warm up sets to 2x5 105 Kilo
    Press warm up sets to 1x5 71.5 kilo PR
    Power Cleans warm up sets to 3x3 80 kilo, my form is beyond bad...
    Barbell rows 3x5 80 kilo first time I've tried these, didn't seem hard probably too low weight.

weighted dips, pull ups and chin ups + 11 kilo.

Will do 1x5 hill sprints tonight.

Page 3 of 321 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast