starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DKDC Gumpy Old Fart's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Life has sure changed. We moved to New York, I changed jobs, the kids are now in good schools, I have a real gym to work out in, there are a butt load of cyclists around, and I'm getting my head back together and out of my ass. I miss me so here I am where the old me was ready to get back to where I once belonged. I'm going to Hell this afternoon, Hell Barbell and back to square one of Starting Strength. Eat some humble pie. My shoulder problems we (my really friggin good VA doc who I think was active duty Army and hangs out in ERs and has a trauma background) think is about 10 years of untreated Thorasic Outlet Syndrome (pinching the nerve coming out of the spine) and some other junk going on. I'm working on following up with a Thorasic Surgeon but the chance to fix my shoulder problems and migraines at the same time is titilating! I tried snatches the other day and it sent me into three days of agony and oxycontin stupor. No more, sorry T-bone, until I get this figured out. Basic below shoulder strength workouts. So, I'm going to use this log and the new app which rocks and be a SS noob.

Been a while apparently since I logged (although my wife keeps giving me fiber pills the narcotics clog me up). In two days it will be four weeks post shoulder surgery. I had a SLAP tear repair, acromioplasty, and some clean up of the supra and infra scapular tendons. They are badly frayed but only one is torn 20% so the doc didn't tie it down just debridement. Long painful sessions of PT started this week. Can't lift a plate in certain positions and am trying to just ice and stay away from the oxycodone. Not trained since the winter b/c I was recovering from three herniated cervical disks. I read a lot of other experiences on the boards about SLAP repair and recovery and bought practical programming. So, when I can start back at the gym in a few months, I will need to go slow and steady. I'll be 49 in December which is probably when I'll get cleared to hit the gym and I think I qualify for full geezer status.

So after really hitting it hard and getting up to the four and five pound weights during physical therapy the last three months I'm finally going to get cleared to lift this week. ROM is normal on my right shoulder now (first time in 10 years or more) but they are both so tight I can't comfortably get into the low bar position. I need to keep at it though. SS 2nd edition says I should go high bar until it gets better so I'll start with that and an empty bar at first. Deads will be bumper plates, maybe 15s at first to see how the vertical stress is on the joint. The rest will have to be trial and error. Damn I miss squats! I'm on the bike trainer for an hour now with no shoulder pain. Therefore, I'm back and will post this week how the first lifting sessions go.

First day back at Hell Barbell last night. Following is planned workout with completed and notes.

SQ:
    45 2x5
    45 2x5
    50 1x3
    55 1x2
    60 1x1
    65 3x5
    Squats went well. Both shoulders really hurt but got under the bar and into low back position. Started out light but felt nice to go deep.

Deadlift: No boxes to start with just the bar so instead of progression I just amped it to start with 135 2x5 which felt good but back a bit stiff. Form was spot on!

Press: OK, the doc and PT said no overhead but they weren't in the gym. This has always been my weakest but right arm was really tight and strong while left shoulder felt loose, probably because of a small labral tear on that side. Did just bar for now and stopped when it tweaked a bit.
    45 2x5
    45 1x5

Post workout shoulders and legs were sore. Iced both and TENS unit used on right shoulder. Tiger balm on the legs/knees before bed. Not a lot of pain today but a good ache of the muscles waking up after a long nap.

Good! take it nice and slow.

Good B session tonight, felt strong but still dorky/painful shoulders.

SQ: 45 2x5, 45 1x5, 55 1x3, 65 1x2, 75 1x1, 95 3x5
    Bench: tried just bar 5x5, still have snaps in the right shoulder (20% torn infraspinatus), think I'll leave it out
    PC: didn't get a good set up and did hang cleans, ROM is much better though on the catch

Overall a good night, saw an old friend and felt at home again.

starting strength coach development program
    Shifted A session yesterday to today because of family stuff. Good workout but bailed on the presses b/c my left shoulder was hurting. Deads are coming along, just need to ease into them. Squats really good.

SQ: 45 2x5; 65 1x5; 85 1x3; 105 1x2; 125 1x1; 135 3x5
    DL: 135 2x5; 145 1x3 - back started to cramp, probably form issues since I'm going high really fast but in a power gym there aren't bumper plates!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12