starting strength gym
Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Geezer Novice Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Friday, 9/14/12

Phew! Found a power rack in Cleveland! So I could get my workout in. In the back of the second floor of this ginormous Life fit building (must be 200K sqft) were 3 lonely power racks. I had them to myself except for one guy doing chins on one, and one other guy who came in and must have squatted 250 or so. Big guy, but he did high back squats and didn't quite get down to parallel (how snide we SS folks can be, and so superior!)

Any way, no weigh in today.

SQs - added 5 - 85x5x3 (Starting to feel heavy for the first time)
    Press - added 2.5 - 55x5x3 (Feeling better)
    DL - added 10 - 105x5x1 (Not feeling heavy yet)
    Machine pull downs, pronated - added 10 - 160x5x3 (Was going to stay at 150lbs, but the machine didn't have that weight! 160 was heavy. Just barely made the sets.)

Feeling good that I got the work out in! I'm off to the Hospital now to get my Dad checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    Friday, 9/14/12

Phew! Found a power rack in Cleveland! So I could get my workout in. In the back of the second floor of this ginormous Life fit building (must be 200K sqft) were 3 lonely power racks. I had them to myself except for one guy doing chins on one, and one other guy who came in and must have squatted 250 or so. Big guy, but he did high back squats and didn't quite get down to parallel (how snide we SS folks can be, and so superior!)

Any way, no weigh in today.

SQs - added 5 - 85x5x3 (Starting to feel heavy for the first time)
    Press - added 2.5 - 55x5x3 (Feeling better)
    DL - added 10 - 105x5x1 (Not feeling heavy yet)
    Machine pull downs, pronated - added 10 - 160x5x3 (Was going to stay at 150lbs, but the machine didn't have that weight! 160 was heavy. Just barely made the sets.)

Feeling good that I got the work out in! I'm off to the Hospital now to get my Dad checked out.
    Glad to hear you found a place to lift and hope everything is well with your Dad. Nice steady progress, loking good indeed. And I know what you mean about observing others and judging - my friend who got me started lifting was giving me flack about how all of a sudden I'm acting all elitist. Eh, someone else is probably commenting on all the things we do wrong, too.

Back home now. Dad did not get a completely clean bill of health. He had major heart surgery 6 months ago, and this trip was a checkup. His heart is good ( he had 2 valve replacements) but the problem is with his aorta. About 10 in of his aota was replaced during the heart surgery (an unplanned complication), but there is some delamination of the arterial wall (called a Dissection) down stream of the replacement. It will have to be monitored and if it gets worse, repaired. The good news is that we talked to probably the top aortic surgeon in the world, and he felt confident that he could fix Dad up if necessary. There may be some more trips to Cleveland in my future.

Lesson 1: if you need anything more than bypass heart surgery, get yourself to a top hospital: the Cleveland Clinic or Cedar Sinai (LA). Dad would probably have died on the operating table at a lessor hospital.

Lesson 2: Get in shape (SS) and stay there (TM maintenance plus GEP), BF < 17%, so you never have to have heart surgery.
    Last edited by Gene61; 09-17-2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Corrected name of condition.

Monday 9/17/12
    Weight 202.4, BF 21.2%

I screwed up my record keeping from Cleveland and accidentally did the same working weight on the Squat! DAMN. No wonder they went up so easily! I'll add 10lbs next time if I'm feeling spry.

SQ - +0 - 85x5x3
    BP - +5lbs - 100x5x3
    PC - +~2lbs - 72x3x5 (hard sorting out the weights on the bumper plates as they are all in kgs. Decided to do 72lbs instead of 77lbs.
    Machine pull downs, Supinated - same weight - 160x5x3

Wednesday 9/19/12
    Weight 201.2, BF 21.4% (according to the Tanita scale, which we all know isn't very accurate)
    Waist diameter - 40.25" This is a new one, to actually monitor body recomp. I'm also getting a calipers to see what they say.

SQ: +5 - 90x5x3 (I didn't feel "spry" so I just put on 5lbs. They went up very well, though.)

Press: +5 - 60x5x3 (The last set was bad. Total collapse of my backbone which hyper extended. Must do a reset next time and get my abdominals to hold my back straight.)

DL: +10 - 116x5x1 (Feels light. Keep adding 10lbs.)

I'm going to halt the pull downs for a few weeks. My Golf Elbow is acting up and these are aggravating it. Not part of basic SS anyway. I'll restart when the elbow pain goes away.

Read Rob Miller's article last night. (See the home page of SS site.) Was delighted to see that he is living in Santa Cruz and does SS coaching! We've already exchanged emails and will be setting up a date for coaching in the next couple of weeks. I'm very excited about this.

Today's workout:

Friday 9/21/12
    Weight: 199.4 (This is going the wrong way. Have to eat more!)
    BF: 21.5% (Just the Tanita doing its thing. In the short run lower weight calculats out to more body fat.)
    Waist: 40"

SQ: +5, 95x5x3 (Still going up easily)

Bench: +5, 105x5x3 (Still feels easier than the squats. Maybe I'll go up 10lbs next time.)

PC: +6, 78x3x5 (mix of kg bumper plates and 45lb bar)

No pull downs. My golf elbow didn't flare at all. 2 1/2 more weeks of layoff.

Read Rob Miller's article last night. (See the home page of SS site.) Was delighted to see that he is living in Santa Cruz and does SS coaching! We've already exchanged emails and will be setting up a date for coaching in the next couple of weeks. I'm very excited about this.

Today's workout:

Friday 9/21/12
    Weight: 199.4 (This is going the wrong way. Have to eat more!)
    BF: 21.5% (Just the Tanita doing its thing. In the short run lower weight calculats out to more body fat.)
    Waist: 40"

SQ: +5, 95x5x3 (Still going up easily)

Bench: +5, 105x5x3 (Still feels easier than the squats. Maybe I'll go up 10lbs next time.)

PC: +6, 78x3x5 (mix of kg bumper plates and 45lb bar)

No pull downs. My golf elbow didn't flare at all. 2 1/2 more weeks of layoff.
    Yay you! And continued good progress. Good coaching ROCKS, looking forward to hearing how that goes for you.

I'm also incredibly jealous of you going to Santa Cruz for coaching. Not that I really really like the Bay Area and environs, no, not me.....

Re: waist measurements (or body measurements in general), I'd advise doing them ~1x/month, or certainly no more than 1x every 2 weeks. There's always some degree of error when you do it, and the changes are pretty slow. I'm doing mine 1x/month. Also, later I'll post a link to a site that calcs body fat%age based on waist and other measurements for you (it may be on my log if you look back).

And you're gaining on my squat, dangnabbit!

Sync, Good point about the waist measurement. I would be interested in the site that calculates BF based on measurements.

We're actually meeting Rob in Sunnyvale. Pretty industrial place.

Don't you worry about me catching you on the squat. You get your form fixed up or this "turtle" really will catch up with you while you're sidelined with injuries. At 5lbs per workout, I'll never catch you if you stay healthy.

Hey Gene,

Good to see that you arranged some coaching. I would love to find a SS coach here in E. Tennessee. Keep up the good work!

starting strength coach development program
    I would be interested in the site that calculates BF based on measurements.
    Don't know if this is the one being referred to above, but I found this one interesting.

http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/#waist

As another 60 year old I'm looking forward to reading about your progress.
    Last edited by DavidCC; 09-22-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to post the link. Duh!

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast