starting strength gym
Page 65 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Geezer Novice Log

Default Going on a Cut! Yikes!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been on a low carb diet the last 3 weeks and have lost 8 lbs. That's the good news. The bad news is that losing weight really saps strength. I haven't been this week in a year!

I'm weeping. Not giving up though till I get into my size 36" pants! I'll rebuild the strength.

Here are the results of my Cut:

Wednesday, 9/13/17

Squat: 202.5x5x2 (could only make 2 sets! and this is 2.5lb below my 5x3 PR) Time to reset.

Press: 75x5x1 (was supposed to be 5x3. Again, this is far below my 5x3 PR or 85lbs.) Time to reset.

Pull downs: 160x6x3 (reset by 15lbs)

Saturday, 9/16/17
    225 lbs, down 8lbs!

Squat: reset -20lbs, 182.5x5x3

Bench: 130x5x3 (14lbs off my PR)

Deadlift: 214.5 x5x1 (5.5lbs off my PR)

Tuesday, 9/19/17
    225 lbs - not budging

Squat Intensity: 205x5x1 (working my way back up)

Press; 65x5x3

Chins: 3,3, Negatives 4x2 (at least the chins are getting easier!)

Monday, 9/25/17
    227 lbs, Yikes went up 2 lbs, however that was due to going on the annual Stag Cruise where all we did was eat and drink and listen to live music. Not too bad!

Squat (vol) 185x5x3

Bench (vol) 135x5x3

Dead 220x5x1 equaled my PR (coming back)

Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    I haven't been this week in a year!
    Just think, in 51 more, you shall be the same week again!

Great lifting, Gene. Equaling a PR after weight loss isn't easy.

Week, Weak, who can tell? Ha!

Saturday, 9/30/17
    224.4 lbs. Down 8 lbs.

Squat (Intensity), +2.5 lbs, 207.5x5x1

Had some knee collapse. Go to 3x2 next intensity day.

Press (volume) +12.5, 77.5x5x3

Ha! Set the weight for an Intensity day and then mistakenly did 3 sets! I clearly had overdone my reset or maybe I'm just getting used to the low carb diet I'm on.

Pull Downs, +5 lbs, 165x8x3

Default Injured Again!

Its just been 18 months since my motorcycle accident, which laid me up for three months and required starting over with LP on the squat and DL.

Last Sunday I had a mountain bicycle accident and broke my hip. Ouch! The clip on my right pedal had become a bit sticky, but the season was almost over so I put off replacing it thinking I could put in a couple more rides before the rainy season shut me down. I'd have plenty of time to replace the pedals over the winter. I came to a stop at the top of a hill and couldn't get my right foot out of the clip. I tumbled over directly onto my right hip and cracked it between the ball and the femur. (I didn't know that at the time of course!)

Strength training played a big role in getting me back home safely, and then on to the hospital. I was in a remote part of the local trail system and no one was about. It would take hours for the rangers to get to me if I called it in and asked for an evac. So I managed to climb onto my bike and climb several hills with just one leg pedaling as the right hip was just too painful to put any pressure on. I made it back to my pickup, threw the bike in the back, drove home using my left foot for the brake and then called my wife from the driveway and asked her to bring out my crutches, as I couldn't walk! (Handy that I still had the crutches from my motorcycle accident last year!)

Two days in the hospital and 3 screws in the hip later, I'm on crutches. Every day I can put more weight on the right foot as I hobble around. The start of physical therapy is 2 weeks away and then probably another couple of months before I can restart squats. Once again completely starting over!!! Ugh!

Also, my diet is out the window. I had lost 15 lbs in 2 months on a low carb diet and was well on my way to my target of getting into my size 36" pants. Now I need to eat at a surplus to promote bone healing and rebuilding my strength. I'm going to have to put up with my beer gut for another 6 months at least!

Oh well. I'm very happy to be strong. I'm sure my hip break would have been much worse if the bone hadn't been strengthened from 5 years of heavy (for me) lifts. I'll get right back to it when I can. I'll start posting again once I'm back to training! Gene

Sorry to hear about your hip, Gene.
    I managed to climb onto my bike and climb several hills with just one leg pedaling as the right hip was just too painful to put any pressure on
    Impressive--I think I would have been lying on the ground waiting for help!

Wow, that was some bad shit! You are a real fighter. Lets hope for a speedy recovery[emoji123]

Sorry to hear that. I hope the pain isn't too bad.I know it must be tough not being able to sqt or DL.but if you can get around you may be able to bench and do seated presses and pulldowns. Heal up soon.

Codger, 57bergstrm and BrooklynJerry, thanks for the words of support and encouragement! I’ll be back at it soon. Already I’m much better. Should be off the crutches in another week.

starting strength coach development program
    My friend. I have no way to relate to such an adventurous outdoors man. I guess just keep on doing what you're doing. It's better to die fighting than just dying. As an old mentor used to say "it's better to wear out than to rust out."
    Last edited by carson; 12-02-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Page 65 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast