starting strength gym
Page 34 of 65 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: NAVY Joe's Lower Back Rehab and SS restart log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Glad to hear you are off to a good start with Jordan and look forward to your progress. If it is not a disservice to you or Jordan (man has to make a living) I would like to hear what general strategy he proposes to move your training and nutrition to the next level. If that is too much to ask, no worries, I will just follow along as best I can!

I have to say that Jordan definitely knows how to merge nutrition and lifting. Definitely some high quality people on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    Glad to hear you are off to a good start with Jordan and look forward to your progress. If it is not a disservice to you or Jordan (man has to make a living) I would like to hear what general strategy he proposes to move your training and nutrition to the next level. If that is too much to ask, no worries, I will just follow along as best I can!

I have to say that Jordan definitely knows how to merge nutrition and lifting. Definitely some high quality people on this forum.
    I am still reading and reviewing all the info he sent me (received last night my time), and I had a few follow on questions, but from my initial read through:

- I am definitely Case #3: The Fluffy Intermediate described in Jordan's "To Be a Beast Article." In fact, I am super fluffy, so my recommended macros are slightly lower than the example lifter, but very close to the same ratios. I'll include my daily targets as I start logging meals.

- Looks like I will be switching to a Block Periodization type program. This is new to me, so I will be following the plan exactly as Jordan recommends. Some assistance work is included that I have not previously been doing (e.g. Close Grip Bench, Paused Bench, etc.). So I find that pretty interesting. First Block is "Accumulation", first week is a Low Stress week (Thank God--I could use one). I'll post workouts in detail as I go forward.

Default Inport Yokosuka, Japan

Starting out with Coach Jordan's recommended program for both nutrition and training programming. For reference, my current starting data:

- Male, 43, 5'10", 242#, Abdominal circumference ~ 42.5" (As of 1/11/14)
    - Last Meet results (all PRs from Nov '13): SQUAT: 385 / BENCH: 245 / DEADLIFT: 405
    - Current Goals:
    1) Body recomposition (lower BF% & waist circumference)
    2) Improve my Total and set 1 or more PRs at the Captain's Cup Powerlifting Meet on 06MAR14

New Program parameters:
    * GPP x 2/wk
    * LIFT x 4/wk --Log will record prescribed workouts; Jordan's programing
    * Recommended Diet:
    - Low Days 5x/wk: 2940 Kcal (P 260g / C 250g / F 100g / Fiber 35g min)
    - High Days 2x/wk: 3210 Kcal (P 240 / C 360g / F 90g / Fiber 40g min)

14JAN2014:
    GPP: HIIT on C2 Rower: 5 min W/U, 7 x 20 sec @ 1:40 recovery, 10 min C/D
    - Pace was between 1:29~1:35/500m. As hard as I could go each interval.

MACRO TOTALS (Low Day): 2559 Kcal (P 272g / C 195g / F 63g / Fiber 18g)
    - Missed targets; little low on Carbs, Fat, and Fiber. Fiber will be hard to hit daily--looks like I'll be buying some Metamucil....I can only eat so much broccoli.
    - Best part of yesterday's diet was reviewing my macros before bed and realizing I needed more protein and fat. A couple of tablespoons of peanut butter and a chocolate protein shake to the rescue...yummy! Also, slept like a rock last night, best night's sleep I've had in weeks--due to the bedtime snack I wonder?

Straight from the mouth of the Mayo Clinic re:high fiber foods. http://www.mayoclinic.org/high-fiber-foods/art-20050948

This is going to be interesting to watch. Go gettem!

Joe, I haven't posted on your log before but wanted to say that it will be great to watch your progress and to learn from your nutrition strategy. Good luck!

Estimated 1RM from previous weeks training (needed inn order to set targets for today's workout):
    SQUAT: 380
    PRESS: 190
    BENCH: 260
    ROW: 250
    DEADLIFT: 420

1100 Wednesday, 15 JAN 2014: Fleet Gym (LBS x Reps x Sets)

BLOCK TYPE: Low Stress
    WEEK: 1 of 1

SQUAT: 45x10 / 135x5 / 225x3 / 275x2 / 315x1 / 325x1 Main: 340x3 (RPE 9)
    BENCH: 45x10 / 95x5 / 135x3 / 185x2 / 205x1 Main: 235x3 (RPE 9.5)
    BB ROWS: 135x5x2 / 185x5 / 205x5 Main: 225x5 (RPE 8.5)

Today's specified workout was 3 reps @ RPE 9 for competitive lifts & 5 reps @ RPE 9 for supplemental lifts. Slightly too heavy on the Bench--got the reps, but there wasn't another one left in the tank. Rows were slightly too light, I could've done a few more reps but as I went up in weight and as I was working the main set I noticed I was partial deadlifting more than rowing. I had to really concentrate on using the upper back instead of the legs to get the bar to my belly--so really this was probably about right. Had not previously rowed anything this heavy.

MACRO TARGETS (High Day): 3210 Kcal (P 240g / C 360g / Fat 90g / Fiber 40g min)
    ACTUAL MACROs: 3200 Kcal (P 303g / 212g / F 85g / Fiber 30g)

I did better today with respect to total calories, fat, and fiber. Way over on protein; way way under on carbs. Still not at optimal numbers, but figuring it out as I go. I'm using the 'MyFitnessPal' app to track macros. However, some of the food I eat doesn't have an exact match in the database. Particularly some of the Japanese dishes my wife cooks. Suspect the protein number is a little higher than actual, and carbs are lower--so I'm getting there. Down a couple of pounds already...but official weigh in is not until Sunday morning (or maybe Monday morning).

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
    Joe, I haven't posted on your log before but wanted to say that it will be great to watch your progress and to learn from your nutrition strategy. Good luck!
    Welcome Oldman! I have lurked in your log a little bit also...thanks for posting.

Thursday, 16JAN14:

I was not able to make it in to the gym yesterday--had to make the trip up-and-back to Tokyo to pick up my parents at the airport. I did plan ahead for meals though: whey protein powder, Quest bar, and BCAAs...

MACRO TARGETs (Low Day): 2940 Kcal (P 260g / C 250g / F 100g / Fiber 35g min)
    ACTUAL MACROs: 2843 Kcal (P 237g / 231g / F 115g / Fiber 48g)

Little too much fat, but ratio/percentages were inline with target macros. Managed to get the fiber in today as well--can't wait to see the results of that. (Ha!)

Been following your log for awhile but never commented, awesome work Joe, your killing it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooline View Post
    Been following your log for awhile but never commented, awesome work Joe, your killing it.
    Thanks, Kooline! Much appreciated. I just wish I'd started lifting at your age instead of in my 40's.

Page 34 of 65 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast