starting strength gym
Page 24 of 65 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: NAVY Joe's Lower Back Rehab and SS restart log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leppo View Post
    Thanks, Runner. I have struggled with progress on my Bench and Press since leaving Novice LP behind...still working to figure out the best intermediate programming for myself. Not a whole lot of strict overhead pressing occurring in Martha's Gym, so I guess I'm the strongest Presser

Blandrick,

I weigh about 245 right now (which is way to much body fat for me to be carrying), so I'm no where near a BW Press. I have begun my semi-annual battle to slim down to meet Navy standards, so I will probably lose some ground with both Bench and Press weights. I look and feel best when I'm around 220ish--so I am going to work to cut some inches off the belly while I keep training.

My current goals are to Bench 275 and Press 225 at a body weight of 220 or less. Probably overly ambitious for me, but it's a target I'm gunning for.

It's funny, but I've head from some of the Senior Enlisted on board that I've developed a little bit of a reputation and have earned a little street cred in the gym with the strong dudes. A couple of the Sailors that work for me, and work out with me, have inflated my lift numbers considerably--one of the Engineering Department Senior Chiefs asked me if it was true I could Squat and Deadlift over 600. (I wish--someday, though.)

So, I have used my new-found fame to highlight Starting Strength. I have actually been doing quite a bit of coaching on the Squat and Deadlift lately--right now I have a waiting list since I only have a limited time to hit the gym. I've seen half a dozen newly received copies of SSBBT3 walking around the ship--that makes me happy.

The only people's chops I bust on are the Kool-Aide drinking Crossfitters or the Gym Bro's that routinely say something completely assine: "Bro, Look up!", "Bro, you're going too deep on those Squats-you'll fuck up your knees!", etc..

I reserve true contempt for a number of skinny, frail guys that have asked me for help in gaining weight/muscle/strength--guys that have taken a decent amount of my time while I explained the program and taught/coached them the lifts--and then completely disregarded my advice (i.e. diet and programming) while bitching that they are "hard gainers" without reading the book, of course. I think I understand Rip's pain.

During our last major maintenance period in port, there were some major problems with a planned high-risk evolution that required diver support (to ensure no flooding occured whle changing out some seawater system valves). Things were not going well, due to some problems with the Divers blowing off requirements. I was sent in to regulate and get us back on schedule. I ended up getting into the knickers of the wrong Dive Supervisor--a 20ish young guy that looked like a statue of a Greek god and who could have crushed me--and he just stood there and took it. After I left the space, the Ship's Safety Officer approached him and asked him way he didn't tell me that I was yelling at the wrong guy? He said, "DCA is a big motherfucker--he would've kicked my ass!" This also made me happy, in a primal manly sort of way. I felt bad that I had gone off on the wrong guy, and I made sure I found him and apologized to him, but it's a fringe benefit that I have to put up with noticably less smart-ass remarks and back-talk than I did a year or two ago. (I don't think it's a rank issue--I've been the same rank for over 6 years now.)
    That's actually some good information to know, as I'll be able to test got SSgt (E5) this coming test cycle, which would make me an NCO. I'm also getting stationed in Alaska in June, so if I can get decently strong before then I can show up as The Strong Dude and get some Airmen to be in charge of. Unfortunately, it's not the same environment in an Air Force hospital as it is on a ship at sea...

You'll get that press soon enough, even if it takes getting back to home station to do so.

Default At sea in USS GEORGE WASHINGTON (CVN 73)

1530 Wednesday, 09OCT13: Martha's Gym (LBS x Reps x Sets)
    BENCH (Intensity): 45x10 / 95x5 / 135x3 / 160x3 / 185x2 Main: 195x3 / 205x3 / 215x3 / 225x2
    PRESS (Volume): 45x10 / 85x5 / 115x3 / 145x2 Main: 160x3x5
    CHINS: BW x 3,3,2

Use ramping sets on Bench; wanted to test how much strength I've recovered and get a feel for what my attempts should be on Sunday's upcoming shipboard Meet. 225 was hard, but doable. Most I've lifted since I started having problems with my left arm/hand due to suspected mononeropathy. Still some numbness and tingling present, but much improved from where I was a month ago.

160 proved to be slightly too much for 5x5, so I stuck with 3 reps x 5 sets to get some volume in without deloading the bar.

You've got to love lifting on the boat. It's too bad you couldn't make it out to WFAC. Hopefully, we'll see you next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Park View Post
    You've got to love lifting on the boat. It's too bad you couldn't make it out to WFAC. Hopefully, we'll see you next year.
    I am definitely planning on attending next year, assuming I'm on shore duty for a change.

Wish I was there last weekend, but I just couldn't take leave during the middle of the deployment. Glad you were able to attend--looked like quite a turnout from Tom's photos.

1600 Thursday, 10OCT13: Martha's Gym (LBS x Reps x Sets)
    SQUAT (Volume): 45x10 / 135x5 / 185x3 / 235x2 / 275x1 Main: 300x5x5
    ROWS: 135x5 Main: 185x5x5

Good workout overall, however, I tweaked my left elbow (tendonitis?). Proving pretty bothersome following day. Last workout before Sunday's shipboard Meet; hopefully elbow will be fine by then, otherwise it will affect my grip strength--Not good.

Check your hand position in your squat. If you are tucking your wrist slightly under the bar it will play hob with your elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    Check your hand position in your squat. If you are tucking your wrist slightly under the bar it will play hob with your elbow.
    Agree--this is most likely what I did (or something very similar). I have the flexibility to move my hands in closer (towards the center of the bar) than I should based on what my elbows like. Having battled this before, I have figured out that my middle finger needs to stay on or outside the break in the knurling to prevent the elbow flare ups. I was rushing to get the last few squat sets in and they were feeling a little heavy, so I suspect I had my hands slightly out of position. 5x5 Rows probably didn't help either....Oh well, I'll be fine I'm sure.

1600 Friday, 11OCT13: XO's Gym

HITT on C2 ROWER
    - 5 min W/U
    - 6 X 20 sec Sprint @ 1:40 rest
    - 5 min Easy C/D

1300 Sunday, 13OCT13: Martha's Gym

Captian's Cup - "1000 lbs. Challenge" shipboard Powerlifting Meet

Squat:
    1st - 355
    2nd - 375
    3rd - 385 *New PR

Bench:
    1st - 225
    2nd - 235
    3rd - 245 *Tied current PR

Deadlift:
    1st - 375
    2nd - 405 * Tied current PR
    3rd - Missed (425)

TOTAL: 1035 *New PR

Improved my total by 30 lbs over last meet in July. Not too shabby considering injury and work schedule impact to my training.

385# Squat rep was the hardest single rep I've ever completed. Almost didn't go--wouldn't have made it without crowd support. Felt like I was stuck at the halfway up point for 5 mins; quite the grinder.

Pulled 425 off the deck and just couldn't get it up much farther than my knees. Just plan tuckered out--I had nothing left and then I just lost my grip.

Had some of the lifters I've been coaching compete today (including my Boss). Much more excited with their progress than my own. Good day overall, I'm pretty happy and my picture will stay up on the wall in the gym since I maintained my status as a member of the 1000 lbs. club.

I know it's not particularly impressive--but compared to where I started out at about 2 years ago...I never would have thought back then that I could ever squat over 300 and pull 400.

starting strength coach development program
    Awesome Joe! Don't sell yourself short. 1035 is nothing the sneeze at.

Yeah it is amazing the progress LP can give you. I know that I am blown away by what I have managed to accomplish as well.

Page 24 of 65 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast