starting strength gym
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    I weigh myself daily. It's a little obsessive but I get a good sense of where I am through the ups and downs (recently mostly ups as I've been bulking). Measurements though move so slowly that once a month is enough.

Good progress Spudness!
    What he said. I weigh myself daily every morning after voiding (so, trying to have conditions be as consistent as possible), but only measure once a month because changes are slow and there's enough "noise" in the measurements (tape not quite in the same place, slightly tighter/looser around measured area, etc) that more than that is kinda pointless. Your clothes will usually tell you more than the tape will.

THBS, for weight, look at trends over periods of time (week-by-week at a minimum) rather than focusing on daily ups and downs.

Quote Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
    THBS, for weight, look at trends over periods of time (week-by-week at a minimum) rather than focusing on daily ups and downs.
    That was what I used to do, when I was solely focused on losing weight. Now that I'm more trying to body recomp (I like my size, but my bf is too high), I didn't know if a different process would be better. Because, TBH, the daily slight increases are a little bit depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by spudness View Post
    That was what I used to do, when I was solely focused on losing weight. Now that I'm more trying to body recomp (I like my size, but my bf is too high), I didn't know if a different process would be better. Because, TBH, the daily slight increases are a little bit depressing.
    In that case, weigh yourself less frequently and focus on how your clothes feel. They'll give you the feedback re: body recomp that you need. When stuff gets looser in certain areas where it's supposed to (waist), and tighter in other areas (arms and legs, say), you'll know you're making progress.

Default 11/18/12

Squat: 90x5x3. Tough, felt like I was going to get stuck at the bottom on a couple reps but I got through it.
    Bench press: 65x3x4. Grrr. Just couldn't get through any sets. Did an extra set just to see if can hammer it out, but no luck. Very frustrating.
    Deadlift: 120x5x1. Only a 5lb jump this time and glad I did. This was tough - I'm going to have to use straps next time for sure.

11/20/12

Squat: 95 lb
    Press: 55 lb (again, made all reps this time)
    Deadlift: 120 lb

No complaints today - everything felt great. My neck hurts a bit, but figured out I was shrugging my shoulders at the top of the deadlifts. Felt good & strong too. Straightened my wrists more on the deadlifts & didn't end up needing straps. Warmed up much easier & didn't feel so stiff. I think my 3 mile jog/walk actually helped me yesterday.

Oh, and we found a trainer at our gym who knows what he's talking about! So even bigger plus. He offered some suggestions but now we know we have someone to hire if we decide we need it.

11/23/12

Squat: 100 lbs (woohoo! Triple digits!)
    Bench: 65 lbs (Nailed it this time!)
    Deadlift: 130 lbs

This was a GREAT session. The diet really does make all the difference in the world. Pigging out on Thanksgiving turkey definitely helped - since I couldn't make that weight on bench just last Sunday.

I panicked on deadlift. Like, there's been times on the squat where I've gotten stuck at the bottom and for a split second thought "oh shit. How am I going to get out of this?" But then I power through it and manage to push it up. But on the deadlift today, after my first rep, I panicked. I wasn't worried about dropping the bar or failing the rep, just more like the physical/neurological symptoms of panic. I made it through the set fine; it was just very bizarre. I don't know if I was just shocked by how heavy the weight was? I don't know. Strange.

I hope to catch your numbers on the press. Good job.

100lb squat is a big milestone for us newbies. You are closing in on a 1x body weight squat! That is still far away for me since I'm such a big old lunk. Great progress.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    100lb squat is a big milestone for us newbies. You are closing in on a 1x body weight squat! That is still far away for me since I'm such a big old lunk. Great progress.
    Thanks! BW squat is one of my goals, so I'm hoping I can be there by the end of the year!

11/25/12

Squat: 105 lbs
    Press: 60lbs, 1x3, 1x4, 1x3. I really need to be going up 2.5 on this one, so I'm not suprised this one failed, but I don't have an option right now with the equipment available. I see a set of washers in my future.
    Deadlift: 135 lbs, 1x2, 1x3, 1x1.

A few things happening on the deadlift:
    1. I "ran" (actually jog/walked, but more walked) 13 miles yesterday. The squat was tough - by the time I got to deadlift, the tank was out of gas from the 13 miles yesterday, the tough squats, and the tough presses.
    2. My grip was slipping. I probably had a better grip on it than I thought, but as soon as I felt it slipping, panicked a bit & put it down fast. I gave it three attempts because I was determined to make this weight. This is another lift I probably need to start microloading. I tried straps, but I couldn't even get it off the floor with the straps - I think the extra thickness of the bar & my tiny hands just didn't work together & my brain wouldn't compute. Also think I need to add chalk to my list of near future purchases.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast