starting strength gym
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: ss log to 270 bench

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    No idea what I did Lou.

I hurt something a few months ago now. I can't pin it down to one thing though.

I had some elbow issues from squat for a short while and moving my pressing grip to be more parallel in my hand helped being able to press.
    Also I was trying an intensity volume at the time and I may have detrained on the press during elbow issues and there fore the intensity weight was too much like repping a single pr and I did harm there over extending. I can remember 154 coming down a little out of control.
    Another was to ease the elbow I was doing shoulder dislocations. Maybe this loosened me were I needed to be tight.

Really I don't know what did it first. Combination I would say.

It's at forehead height and the next few inches.
    Was a horrible pain and the joint was a pit poppy.

I tried 10lb dumbells to pin point it and a lateral raise could only go a third of the way up so I tweaked something in there affecting that.
    I can now do a full lat raise but with a lot less strength than the other side.

So its almost healed whatever it was and it didn't affect the other 3 exercises at all.

Bit of a long winded reply, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Mexmick View Post
    No idea what I did Lou.

I hurt something a few months ago now. I can't pin it down to one thing though.

I had some elbow issues from squat for a short while and moving my pressing grip to be more parallel in my hand helped being able to press.
    Also I was trying an intensity volume at the time and I may have detrained on the press during elbow issues and there fore the intensity weight was too much like repping a single pr and I did harm there over extending. I can remember 154 coming down a little out of control.
    Another was to ease the elbow I was doing shoulder dislocations. Maybe this loosened me were I needed to be tight.

Really I don't know what did it first. Combination I would say.

It's at forehead height and the next few inches.
    Was a horrible pain and the joint was a pit poppy.

I tried 10lb dumbells to pin point it and a lateral raise could only go a third of the way up so I tweaked something in there affecting that.
    I can now do a full lat raise but with a lot less strength than the other side.

So its almost healed whatever it was and it didn't affect the other 3 exercises at all.

Bit of a long winded reply, sorry!
    so both shoulders experience this once the bar is at forehead height?

It appears it has gotten better over time?

I would think as long as adding weight doesn't take you out of good form, give it a wack.

Do you warm up your shoulders sufficiently? Do you do any stretching afterwards?

I had chronic shoulders for a long time, several injections over the years. It has been a very long time now since I had a problem. I take good care of my shoulders now.

What jumps in weight are typical for you with press?

Left shoulder only and a very specific pain though I'm beyond that pain now.

It is getting stronger no doubt.

I would say I'm that awkward stage were It's not quite injured but it's not quite right either.
    This is my 2nd time building back up in a few months. This time around its going better too.

2.5kg jumps for me. I convert my lifts to pounds for the forum.

Not being able to lift my 8 month daughter overhead but benching 100kg was frustrating to say the least. I can now pick her up with caution.

What mobility drills to you do??

I just do arm circles and shrugs and some lateral raises now too. All controlled pace. No dumbells.
    There are 5kg dumbells in the shed and I have used them to compare the shoulders and to rehab too along with the press but in general it's just bodyweight movements before training.

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexmick View Post
    Left shoulder only and a very specific pain though I'm beyond that pain now.

It is getting stronger no doubt.

I would say I'm that awkward stage were It's not quite injured but it's not quite right either.
    This is my 2nd time building back up in a few months. This time around its going better too.

2.5kg jumps for me. I convert my lifts to pounds for the forum.

Not being able to lift my 8 month daughter overhead but benching 100kg was frustrating to say the least. I can now pick her up with caution.

What mobility drills to you do??

I just do arm circles and shrugs and some lateral raises now too. All controlled pace. No dumbells.
    There are 5kg dumbells in the shed and I have used them to compare the shoulders and to rehab too along with the press but in general it's just bodyweight movements before training.

Thanks for the input.
    I do dislocates using both a band and broom stick, arm circles, L-flies...ohp done with good form is the best way to fix your shoulders (assuming there isn't an injury, in which case light ohp)

now for the crazy shit. I truly believe heavy weighted dips are the single most effective training I've done to strengthen and stretch my shoulders, not to mention what they do for my traps and back, triceps.

since I've been doing weighted dips, my bench and ohp has seen noticeable increases. Not to mention what it has done for size of my chest, arms and traps.

I weigh 160lbs and add 110lbs to my dips..total 270lb dips 3 x 5. Not bragging just saying.

I believe Mccullum or Starr wrote an article in Milo back in the 90's calling weighted dips as the upper body squat. In the same article, he wrote that the best lift to assist ohp are heavy dips.

I know dips are not a favorable lift or of value in some circles, but I swear by them.

FWIW, why not add 2.5 lbs to your ohp until it feels right? if you add the 2.5kg can you still maintain correct form?
    Last edited by lou t; 07-15-2015 at 07:36 AM.

now for the crazy shit. I truly believe heavy weighted dips are the single most effective training I've done to strengthen and stretch my shoulders, not to mention what they do for my traps and back, triceps.
    Amen to that. Not crazy. I treat it like a primary lift also, even if I only do 90lbs for 5x3. It seems to help my press quite a bit.

I pull my arms across my chest and behind my head while looking up & shoulder dislocates. Otherwise, the warmup of the lift takes care of the rest. Also, my elementry-school age kids (90lbs and 52 lbs) provide plenty of resistance when lifting them overhead. Hey I could dip with my son tied to my belt but that may be awkward & invite a visit from social services.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Amen to that. Not crazy. I treat it like a primary lift also, even if I only do 90lbs for 5x3. It seems to help my press quite a bit.

I pull my arms across my chest and behind my head while looking up & shoulder dislocates. Otherwise, the warmup of the lift takes care of the rest. Also, my elementry-school age kids (90lbs and 52 lbs) provide plenty of resistance when lifting them overhead. Hey I could dip with my son tied to my belt but that may be awkward & invite a visit from social services.
    Good man Peez, I forgot the arm across the chest, I can't do that from the left, very limited. Good from the right. No problem doing the other one you mentioned though I don't that often anymore. I must incorporate it back in.

Ha ha I think we all think a bit like that with regards to dipping your own son. I know I've done it thinking if you skewer "item or person" with a barbell you could press/squat/bench and deadlift them or it! Reminds me of a friend of mine playing football innocently trying to figure out how far could you kick a baby!! He is due his 1st this September and that's going in the congrats card for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    I do dislocates using both a band and broom stick, arm circles, L-flies...ohp done with good form is the best way to fix your shoulders (assuming there isn't an injury, in which case light ohp)

since I've been doing weighted dips, my bench and ohp has seen noticeable increases. Not to mention what it has done for size of my chest, arms and traps.

I weigh 160lbs and add 110lbs to my dips..total 270lb dips 3 x 5. Not bragging just saying.

I believe Mccullum or Starr wrote an article in Milo back in the 90's calling weighted dips as the upper body squat. In the same article, he wrote that the best lift to assist ohp are heavy dips.

I know dips are not a favorable lift or of value in some circles, but I swear by them.

FWIW, why not add 2.5 lbs to your ohp until it feels right? if you add the 2.5kg can you still maintain correct form?
    I don't have microplates or a dip station.
    Too very worthwhile investments to come in the near future.

I did get a dip station before but it was huge. Bars too far apart, bars too thick. It was getting altered but ended up staying with the fabricator.

I have only done dips a couple of times and could rep up to 15 and really enjoyed them too. It's a movement that suits me I think. A lot better than pull ups or chins.

Good strong dipping Lou! ! And not bragging don't worry.

So dips it is. Thanks a lot lads

I have only done dips a couple of times and could rep up to 15 and really enjoyed them too. It's a movement that suits me I think. A lot better than pull ups or chins.
    Yeah it's good stuff. I just raise the safeties in the rack, put the barbell on it on one side and a piece of lumber of suitable thickness on the other. Simple, stable, and free.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Yeah it's good stuff. I just raise the safeties in the rack, put the barbell on it on one side and a piece of lumber of suitable thickness on the other. Simple, stable, and free.
    I like the set up and you can adjsut the width of your hands to find the optimal spacing as opposed to what I use which is a fixed parallel dip unit.

Happy Dipping....continue to add weigh and treat it as it is..a compound movement. My personal goal is to work up to adding my body weight (160) for reps.

starting strength coach development program
    My rack is nearly 3ft front to back. I would have to make some sort of spacer.

I will sort something out very soon.

Bodyweight dip will be impressive Lou!

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast