Thread: ss log to 270 bench

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Week 7 of 9

Squat 187 x 5/5
    Press 165 x 1/1
    Deadlift 275 x 3

A horrible session. Regroup for the next day.

7/9/14

Squat 242 x 3/3/3 PR
    Bench 236.5 x 2/2/2 PR

Good session. Very tough. Things are starting to settle in the new job so some progress to come.

Squats were tough and not pretty.
    Bench very tough and even though i didnt get the 3's, im very happy with 3x2. An improved grove.

Hi Mexmick, glad to see you are back at it & making good progress on all your lifts. That 270 bench must feel like it's close now, keep at it my friend.

Week 8 of 9

Waste of a post realy. Terrible session. Felt very weak and had a thumping headache but i tried anyways . I failed ! Squat warm ups went well but the headache got too much before i got near worksets. Same with the press. Just chalk it up to experience and move on.

Im on a heavy dose of antibiotics, wonder if that affected anything?

Hey Rufus, yeah im getting there! Took a long time to get my back right but im confident with it now. Not perfect but is it ever when you hurt it?! ust great to be getting some consistency to it again. New baby coming in a few weeks will challenge me! We cant wait!
    I should still manage some sessions and hit my goal by Christmas

12/9/14

Squat 247.5 x 3/3/3 PR
    Bench 236.5 x 2/2/2

Decent session and im feeling a bit better.
    Squat setup was improved and im getting better at being a bit more aggressive in the hole. The PR weight just makes it a neccesity and its a great thing. I am struggling a bit. Knees are coming in for sure at the end of sets. Looking forward to switching it up for my test day.
    Bench was ok. Very tough. No hope of the 3rd rep today. Hit a better grove on the 3rd set. If i can bring that form into the next session i should get 1 set of 3.

14/9/14

Press 154 x 4/5/4 5 is a PR
    Deadlift 264 x 5

Good. Went back to 154 for the press after the crap session last time. Tightened up my form well and got some good reps. Very happy to pr with 1 set of 5.
    Deadlift was heavy and tough but the form was decent and i got some power into it.

Week 9 of 9

16/9/14

Squat 253 x 2 PR
    Bench 242 x 2/2/1 PR

Hurt my hip a little in work the day before this session so i just felt this one out. A bit sore, bone sore but went well. I was happy with what i did.
    Bench was good. Looking forward to getting back to 5's and finaly making a move to intermediate style of training.

18/9/14

Pre Test

Press 159.5 x 2/2
    Squat 242 x 2/2
    Bench 231 x 2/2
    Deadlift 264 x 2/2

All good. Maybe a little heavy?
    Press form better. Squat form reasonable, il make sure to get my test video up to get feedbakak here.
    Bench ok, bit slower than i would have liked. Slight wrist pain too, just right wrist.
    Deadlift good. Getting better at putting a bit of power into it.

Hopefully should pr all except deadlift but deadlift is coming back nicely and im happy with that.

I will keep this quick as its my 3rd attempt at this update:

TEST DAY 21/9/14

Press 170.5 x 1 Tie PR
    Squat 286 x 1 PR
    Bench 253 x 1 PR
    Deadlift 297 x 1

Fairly good mornings work though I did tweak my back at the end of the squat pr. I managed to make it to the ground to crack back in whatever had moved and i could complete my session. I am very tender now im relaxed but im confident I havent done too much harm. It was three quarters way up whereas last time I hurt it the tweak happened just after hitting the hole and I had the whole ascend to finish. I also popped it back very quick so fingers crossed im free to progress for the rest of the year.

Press good. 176 was a no go and is now my nemesis!

Squat was very good up to the tweak point. I just felt good at 264, my previous pr, so I took a good jump to 286 and worked very hard to get it done. Hopefully no long term affects. Was I too greedy?? Maybe but I just felt strong so it.

Bench was good. Failed at 264 and then failed at 258.5 too. Maybe if I tried 258.5 first I would have got it. I was happy to get a new pr so I pushed it out for the 264 and I wasnt a million miles away from it. Good progress and looking good for my 270 by year end.

Deadlift was ok. Just happy I could do it after the back tweak.
    Should make some more progress and get a pr by year end.

Videos to follow

Hope this works, first time doing videos.
    Apologies for bad angle and a bit of a messy shed!

Oh and a little bit of language comes out too, sorry!

Press
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMPwwIlGWO4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC61S1GOz2E

Squat ugly ouch!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ7uTit7NGY

Bench
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBVsCvSRTCw

Deadlift
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcdv2cwlWaM
    Last edited by Mexmick; 09-21-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: add language warning

starting strength coach development program
    Nice work, PR's are PR's! I don't know what your deadlift PR is but that 297 looked like a warm up rep, plenty more left on the table there.

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast