starting strength gym
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Viola's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Well after searching this site instead the internet in general, I have a few more useful ideas for the hip pain. You know, that discussion about hip tendonitis is missing in the third edition of SS, which is the one I have. Edit: Well, I found the section. it doesn't say hip pain, or hip tendinitis, just "funny tendinitis" which is probably why I missed it.

So I squatted again today (hooray!!), trying to keep knees out and my shins more straight. Re-examining my videos show my knees going past my toes....

Tried out the local YMCA. Adequate; there was a squat rack and another rack with adjustable pins that I used for the press. Lots of machines... Only one guy using the press rack. The bar felt light - it looked like an olympic bar, but I am not sure it was 45lbs. Assuming it was, I did the following.

Squat 3x5 105 lbs

OH press 3x5 70 lbs. Hard, but not as hard as the last time I was @70. Did the reset work, or is the weight a bit less than I used at home?

Followed up with skipping for 10 min. Sets of 7 singles one double under, continuously until I fluffed it, then rest and restart.

Hips are sore afterwards. Using leg swings to loosen up - they are effective. (Thanks cwd). Will try tightening the glutes and hammies more next time I squat.
    Last edited by Viola; 03-26-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Screw hormones. That's all.

Today: 05/03

Squat - still working on form, and a bit tired.
    warmup, then
    3x5 @ 80. These did not feel good. In trying to correct my knees, I feel I am sitting back too much.
    2x5 @ 80. These felt much better.
    2x5 @ 80. Okay.

Bench - 3rd try at 95lbs. Failed on rep 4 of the 1st set, so went for sets of 3.
    1x3, 1x3, 1x3, 1,fail
    backoff sets at 80lbs: 1x8, 1x8

Will do pullups later. Or not, its piano lessons and basketball day for the kids...

Bacon for breakfast.
    Last edited by Viola; 03-06-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: bacon

08/03

Crappy sleep, did not think lifting would go well. Rolled out of bed anyways and ended up having a great session.

Squats: concentrated on the following cues: cracking a walnut at the top, and pushing through the heels. The heel cue helped me with hip drive.
    was aiming for 85lbs, but ended up alternating with my oh press max at 72lbs to speed the sets up.

Squat: 72lbs 2x5, 80 lbs 3x5

OH press: 72 lbs 2,2+1push press, 2,2,2

DL: 150lbs 1x5

Quote Originally Posted by Viola View Post
    08/03

Crappy sleep, did not think lifting would go well. Rolled out of bed anyways and ended up having a great session.
    Hi! Isn't this the best? You go into it thinking it's going to be horrible, but it's the opposite. That's a good way to start the day!

SCteacher Yes - I love when that happens. Happened all the time when I ran regularly. I have not been lifting long enough to be confident it will happen when I lift, though! Somehow, my brain still thinks lifting will be too hard when I am tired. The trick is not to let your brain think. Just Do it. (Stupid Nike co-opting such a useful phrase).

Split my workout due to losing my spotter (hubby) to early morning travel.

10/03 evening

Bench

95lbs - 4,f; 4,f; 3,f. Better than last time, which was all 3's.
    back-off sets: 3x8 @ 80lbs

11/03 morning (again crappy sleep)

Squat

100lbs - 3x5

Videoed myself, will post later today. This felt better, the squats feel comfortable, my hips are mostly pain/stiffness free.

Well, a bit stiff, to be honest, but I am blaming my killer indoor soccer semi-final at 10pm Saturday night. Due to losing players to travel and injuries, we ended up playing with no subs, against a team with 5 subs. And we lost, 1-0. Heartbreaking. We outplayed them, but our shots did not go in the net..... means we will play for third place on Tuesday. I was limping most of Sunday.

Well we won third place. 2-0. Followed by beer and wings to celebrate (carbs and protein...)

I posted in the technique section and Tom says my squats are in decent shape. Awesome. Of course, I was only doing 100 lbs, but I will move up from there 5lbs at a time to see if I can maintain that form. I am going to have to reset my bench press I think. I've been at 95lbs too long.

Here is a link to my squat video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2CU44iVW2g
    Last edited by Viola; 03-13-2013 at 09:31 AM.

OK, I must be losing progesterone fast, because my sleep this week sucks. Sucks, sucks, sucks.... enough whining.

Friday 15/03

Squat 105lbs
    1x5, 1x2 then boom I went too low and had to drop the bar on the floor. 1x3, 1x5.
    this weight feels pretty heavy considering I have already done 3x5 at 125#. Shouldn't improving form make things easier?

OH press 72 lbs
    3,2,3,3,3 Getting better!
    backoff sets 50lbs 2x5

Chin-ups with band 4,4,4

It's not generally recommended to walk backwards back to the squat stands after the squats, but maybe you have some good reason.

Its not a proper squat rack, its a bench rack. All I have at the moment, but I am looking for a squat rack. I walk backwards because I tried walking forward and my knees hit the bench support and I have to bend forward to rack the bar. When the weight is very challenging this feels more dangerous. I feel that if I miss, the weight will pin me, whereas backwards I can just let go.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Viola! My own squats suck big fat rocks, so I'm reluctant to comment on anyone else's. With that disclaimer, yours looked pretty good to me. I agree with morbid that walking backward to the pins can be dicey. Also, you might want to kill the TV so that you aren't tempted to look at it while you're squatting.

Keep up the good work!

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast