starting strength gym
Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Viola's Log

Default Viola's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I am a 42 year old woman, 5'8", 170lbs. I am a novice lifter, having started last November practicing the main lifts using lots of reps and low (although increasing) weights. I started SS in my basement at the end of December.

I have the usual life issues competing with my training goals: kids, hubby, a sit-down computer job, volunteer work, hormones, poor sleep. I am a long-time runner and recently re-started playing soccer. I have been fairly active and athletic most of my life, but have never concentrated on strength, until now.

I am having a ball with SS! I am very-goal oriented, self-motivated, prefer working out alone, and I love seeing progress on my lifts. (Numbers ! charts! spreadsheets! planning!! what a geek....) The exception to my numbers obsession is nutrition. It has been fun eating for strength and performance instead of worrying about why my weight was creeping up even though I was running a lot. I don't like restricting my food too much, though, because that brings out my counterwill-binge feelings. So I have managed by counting protein grams.

Wow, that's a lot of info...

Here are my current stats. I am pausing my squat for a couple of weeks because of hip flexor pain. I wanted to wait to post until I was DTP again, but really, I need help and motivation now, not once I have solved my problems.

Working weights (3x5)
    Squat - 125lb
    DL - 165lb
    OH press - 165lb (reset once and microloading)
    BP - 90lb
    PC - haven't been doing it, no coaching and I am nervous about it. Keep strangling myself with the bar
    Pull-ups/chin-ups - 3 sets of 4 with a band

Anyways, I am grateful to anyone who says Hi or comments!
    Last edited by Viola; 03-06-2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: boooring.

Hi Viola! Glad to see you on here. Welcome.
    Cheers,
    Gwynn

Hi!
    Do you video your squats or have someone watching? I get pain in my hip flexors if I squat high.

Welcome, Viola.

I'm always tremendously impressed by folks who work out and motivate themselves essentially alone. Serious props to you.

Melody makes a good suggestion; if you are able to video yourself squatting, we'd be happy to have a look and offer our feedback.

Just stopping in to say hi. I'll be following along

Thanks for your replies!! I have been videoing my squats, and there is always something I see to improve. I think I go low enough, parallel or below (or do you mean bar position on the back? I think I am in the right position, but don't know for sure. Where the heck is that scapula!?) I know I hyperextend my back. I will be concentrating on valsava and tightening up my abs during squats. Plus I am doing exercises to strengthen my abs and glutes and loosen my hamstrings and hip flexors. (Years of running have seriously weakened my glutes. Ironic considering how big that end of me is . But I will post a video soon as well. I am sure there are other things to work on.

02-25

3x5 1 leg rdls 5lb dumbells
    3x5 1 leg rdls 25lb dumbells. Wobbly. Still working on form.

3x5 oh press 67 lbs. Good.

Short workout, slept in, busy day. Hips felt a bit stiff later in day, but no pain. Couch stretch and foam rolling in evening.

Man I should be couch stretching *right now.*

Quote Originally Posted by Michele Knaub View Post
    Man I should be couch stretching *right now.*
    Me too. Laying on the floor unable to scrape myself up though

Nice job on the presses Viola!!

starting strength coach development program
    02-28

88 steps long step walking lunge

BP was supposed to be 3x5 at 95lbs. 2nd attempt.
    1st set 2,f,f
    2nd set 3 + 2 assisted
    3rd set 3 + 2 assisted.
    was feeling stronger each set

Sumo DL
    1x5 at 150lbs. starting rounding my back, aack.

pullups with band

I reeaaallly want to squat again. but my hip flexor still twinges occasionally when I try to externally rotate my thigh, ie to kick a soccer ball. Will maybe try light squats for form next week.

Am doing sumo DL and walking lunge in order to strengthen my posterior chain without aggravating my hips. Not sure if it is working, still a bit stiff and twingey, a few hours later.

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast