starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strengthbuild's workout log

Default strengthbuild's workout log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello friends. I just purchased the Starting Strength Official app and I'm loving it so far! I started working out seriously earlier this year in January 2015. I did SL 5x5 for a good 3 months and made significant gains from it. After that I injured my lower back while doing squats and took a break for a few months. I started working out again during the summer but I wasn't really on any program. Now I decided to take things seriously again and see where I can go with this program.

Keep in mind that I've milked my novice gains already so weights are going to progress slowly for me. I'm going to start logging my progress on this thread as a way to keep myself focused on achieving my goals. In addition, I'm also going to start logging videos of myself each workout so that I can look back and analyze my form. I'll share my videos here with you guys so that you guys can critique on any bad form that you see. Currently, I think my worst lift is the power cleans. I still haven't nailed the technique and form yet. Anyway, I'll post my current stats below:

Height: 5' 7"
    Weight: 135 lbs @ about 9-10% body fat.
    Goal: To get as strong as I can be by the end of this year.

I aim to eat 3000 calories a day, but no less than 2800! I workout Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I have work on off days. Life style is pretty sedentary right now.

9/21/2015
    Day 1 Workout A:
    SQUAT: 135 x 5,5,5
    BENCH: 135 x 5,5,5
    CLEAN: 65 x 3,3,3,3,3

9/23/2015
    Day 2 Workout B:
    SQUAT: 140 x 5,5,5
    PRESS: 90 x 5,5,5
    DEADLIFT: 155 x 5

I hate long workout videos so I just record the first set of each exercise:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpZ...MkIVL_Q/videos

Welcome. What were your previous #s before getting hurt? Is 3,000 calories maintenance, or what kind of weight gain are you going for?

Explore all of the sub forums around here, the knowledge is endless.

Edit: give us the last set of each lift since that's when you are he most fatigued and therefore most likely for bad form creeps

Just noticed you already posted videos. You have read through the entire app already?

Check out rips bar position and hand position videos for the squat. Looks like you may need the bar low and a better hip drive.

Press needs some tweaking.

Consistent on all the lifts is that you are way too rushed. You need to reset between each rep to get tight and perform the valsalva maneuver.

The app is very detailed (not nearly as much as the actual book) about how these lifts need to be performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Welcome. What were your previous #s before getting hurt? Is 3,000 calories maintenance, or what kind of weight gain are you going for?

Explore all of the sub forums around here, the knowledge is endless.

Edit: give us the last set of each lift since that's when you are he most fatigued and therefore most likely for bad form creeps
    Okay I'll record the last set from now on. My numbers right before getting injured earlier this year were:
    Squat: 225 lbs 5x5
    Deadlift: 245 lbs 1x5
    Press: 120 5x5
    Bench: 170 5x5
    Row: 145 5x5

Right now I doubt I can even hit these numbers for 1x5. My maintenance is around 2,200 calories. I'm eating 3,000 calories because I want to put on some fat since I get cold easily in the morning, during the evening, and at night. I'm happy getting to 145 lbs by the end of this year, any additional fat weight is welcomed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Just noticed you already posted videos. You have read through the entire app already?

Check out rips bar position and hand position videos for the squat. Looks like you may need the bar low and a better hip drive.

Press needs some tweaking.

Consistent on all the lifts is that you are way too rushed. You need to reset between each rep to get tight and perform the valsalva maneuver.

The app is very detailed (not nearly as much as the actual book) about how these lifts need to be performed.
    I'll finish reading everything in the app this weekend. Today I started doing low bar squat for the first time and it felt like the bar was going to slide off my back and my hands would have to really try and hold the bar in place. This probably came from me doing high bar squat my whole life and staying a bit more upright than a 45 degrees angle. I'm permanently switching to low bar squat from now on.

9/25/2015
    Day 3 Workout A:
    SQUAT: 145 x 5,5,5
    BENCH: 140 x 5,5,5
    CLEAN: 70 x 3,3,3,3,3

No recording today. My friend had to borrow my wide-angle camera for something. I should get it back for my next workout.
    Last edited by strengthbuild; 09-25-2015 at 10:15 PM.

9/28/2015
    Week 2 Day 4 Workout B:
    SQUAT: 150 x 5,5,5
    PRESS: 95 x 5,5,5
    DEADLIFT: 160 x 5

https://youtu.be/zPjrtSK4vC4

Not sure if the bar placement for low bar squat is correct. Feels like I'm going to plateau on the press soon. Deadlift felt like a grinder today.

9/30/2015
    Week 2 Day 5 Workout A:
    SQUAT: 155 x 5,5,5
    BENCH: 145 x 5,5,5
    CLEAN: 75 x 3,3,3,3,3

https://youtu.be/dTQm0eMEmU4

10/2/2015
    Week 2 Day 6 Workout B:
    SQUAT: 160 x 5,5,5
    PRESS: 100 x 5,5,5
    DEADLIFT: 165 x 5

https://youtu.be/ZNoQCJYB1AY

Keep it up. You should consider doing your deadlifts with a complete stop between reps.

Man you have some cannonball delts.

What is your age? It is good that you are trying to gain weight.

The Squat weight is light for you. You do not seem to have a balanced stance. You left foot looks forward of your right foot.

Deads: These too seemed light. The lift is called Dead because each lift is from the dead position on the floor. Place the plates on the floor, breathe then, and reset. It is not touch and go but dead.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ajvd View Post
    Keep it up. You should consider doing your deadlifts with a complete stop between reps.

Man you have some cannonball delts.
    Thanks! I'll make sure to reset completely after each repetition next time.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    What is your age? It is good that you are trying to gain weight.

The Squat weight is light for you. You do not seem to have a balanced stance. You left foot looks forward of your right foot.

Deads: These too seemed light. The lift is called Dead because each lift is from the dead position on the floor. Place the plates on the floor, breathe then, and reset. It is not touch and go but dead.
    Thanks for the feedback! I just turned 24 last month (I know I don't look like it, lol). You are right about my foot stance. I will pay more attention to it next time. I wanted to start out light on the squat and deadlift because I'm still kind of traumatized by my injury. I'll come to a complete dead stop on the DL next workout.

10/05/2015
    Week 3 Day 7 Workout A:
    SQUAT: 165 x 5,5,5
    BENCH: 150 x 5,5,9
    CLEAN: 80 x 3,3,3,3,3

I felt slight pain/pinch on my left scapula while doing low bar squat today. My form definitely suffered compared to last session. Still trying to learn this movement. I pushed 9 reps on my last set for bench because my workout buddy thought I could do 10. He was wrong. I won't do anything outside of this program ever again. I don't even want to talk about my power clean session today because I am an idiot.

https://youtu.be/f7UXqejXMNU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast