starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jamie's SS Log

Default Jamie's SS Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok, after realising the value of a log on a seperate unrelated forum I'm going to give this a go here.

After (yet another) long break from training I'm going for (yet another) run at SS. Just had a little boy (my 2nd child) so sleep might not be great but I'll do what I can.

Current stats:

Height: 6'0
    Weight: ~170lbs
    Bodyfat %: ~ 18-20% (Guestimate based off pictures)

Goals:

By end of 2015, minimum of:

• 2 x bodyweight dead
    • 1.75 x bodyweight squat
    • 1 x bodyweight bench
    • 0.75 bodyweight OHP
    • 0.75 x bodyweight PC
    • 180lbs
    • less than 12% bodyfat

Plan:

Training:

SS as per the book. Deadlift every workout until too heavy then work in PCs. Added chins unless they start to interfere with anything.

Nutrition:

Follow Jordan's recomp nutritional protocol from his To be a beast article. Gain 1-2lbs per week, take weekly progress pics and waist measurements. Weigh myself daily. Capture macros in this log to keep myself accountable

Pro: 200g
    Carb: 200g
    Fat: 60g

Supplements will be whey, creatine and maybe some ZMA to help me sleep.

First session tonight where I'll look to set my starting weights.

Much excite!
    Last edited by millsy; 04-16-2015 at 08:16 AM.

Hi Jamie,

welcome aboard! Congrats re. the second child btw! How old are you? What were your max weights the last time you did SS?

Your goals could well be achievable in 8 months with solid work, a good plan, good rest (this might be hard right now) and nutrition, and no major injuries or life interfering. Staying under 12%BF is an understandable goal but it might limit the speed of your gainzZz. Just saying. Now go lift some weights!

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Hi Jamie,

welcome aboard! Congrats re. the second child btw! How old are you? What were your max weights the last time you did SS?

Your goals could well be achievable in 8 months with solid work, a good plan, good rest (this might be hard right now) and nutrition, and no major injuries or life interfering. Staying under 12%BF is an understandable goal but it might limit the speed of your gainzZz. Just saying. Now go lift some weights!
    I forgot to include my age, I'm 29 (will add that into the OP now).

Max weights last time were (all 3sets of 5 except deads):

Squat: 135kg
    Dead: 160kg
    Bench: 97.5kg
    OHP: 65kg
    PC: 70kg struggle with these!

The 12% thing is more due to the fact that I am looking to get back into playing football (soccer) by the end of the year and around that level is where I've felt most mobile and fit in the past. Not looking to stay under 12% for the duration, but just be round there by the end of the year.

With previous lifts like that you should be able to achieve much more than your goals by the end of the year. Your body remembers - it's easier the second time around. We'll be here to cheer you on or yell at you or both!

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    With previous lifts like that you should be able to achieve much more than your goals by the end of the year. Your body remembers - it's easier the second time around. We'll be here to cheer you on or yell at you or both!
    Yeh, I figure my goals are fairly conservative. I was about 20lbs heavier than I am now when I hit those lifts though, but hopefully all goes well!

I can affirm peez's comment and say that muscle memory is more powerful than I ever would have guessed. You'll gain it back very quickly if you get your nutrition and sleep dialed in and follow the program. I'd say you also have to do some maintenance -- stretching, proper warmup, etc. -- as you go up in weight so you don't create any joint/muscular issues from the volume. Even relatively young 29 year old joints can protest heavy weights 3x/week. But the muscles will return to their former glory.

1st Workout last night:

All listed (SETS x REPS x WEIGHT)

WORKOUT A:

Squats: 3 x 5 x 60kg
    Deads: 1 x 5 x 80kg
    Bench: 3 x 5 x 60kg
    Chins: 8,4,3

Comments:

Could definitely have started higher on the squats but was getting some strange tightness in my groin. Hopefully just 'first time back' syndrome, but figured I'll start nice and low just to be sure. Everything else felt pretty good.

Nutrition

Pro: 158
    Carbs: 219
    Fat: 44

Not great. I've run out of whey though (good start) so going to get some today and should find it easier to hit protein.

Weekly weigh in: 172lbs (weighed every day, this is the average)
    Waist: 34'
    Last edited by millsy; 04-17-2015 at 06:25 AM.

17th April 2015

Rest Day

Pro: 203
    Carb: 198
    Fat: 55

Diet and Training went completely out the window this weekend due toa few family things. Didn't even log macros, but I'm guessing way to many carbs, way to much fat and not enough protein.

Ah well, back at it tonight.

starting strength coach development program
    20th April 2015

WORKOUT B (Deadlifts to be replaced with PC once up a bit)

SQUAT 3 x 5 x 65KG
    OHP 3 x 5 x 35KG
    DEAD 1 x 5 x 85KG
    Chins: 8,5

Nutrition:

Pro: 198
    Carbs: 216
    Fat: 77

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast