Thread: Cheri's Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Wed 27 March

Squat - back-off day
    45x5x2
    135x3x3

Thank god my form was back for this workout. I hate that I'm nervous about my technique going to shit for my re-try at 190x5x3 on Friday... Grrr!

Press - work up to heavy single
    45x5x2
    65x5x1
    80x3x1
    95x1
    100x1
    102x1
    105 -- user error

I messed up loading my bar on my last attempt -- I thought I was attempting 105, but it was really 100. 25s on both sides, and a single 5 on the left side. ::facepalm:: On the plus side, maybe this is a good sign that my left arm is catching up with my right arm? Because I did manage to lock it out, even though it was super ugly.

Note to self - if things feel super strange when you take the bar out of the rack, always check your loading.

Upper Body Beatdown by G&B
    Dumbbell Bench Press - 3x10 w 35# dbs
    Kroc Rows - 2 sets, max left and max right, 40# db
    set 1 - L:16, R:16
    set 2 - L:11, R:11
    1/2 Tabata Pushups - 21 total reps
    Ring Rows - 3 max sets; 20s work, 30s rest; at this point I wasn't counting anything
    Plank - 90sec hold, on elbows

Finished up by making a really sexy sweat angel on the floor. hah

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Mixon View Post
    Cheri, you are great to work with. I definitely feed off your intensity whenever you come in. I can't wait to see how you progress these next few months.
    Thanks Billy!

Quote Originally Posted by Linds View Post
    This is awesome!! I too am jealous of your coaches.. I have read and seen a little bit about Gillian (100 muscle ups!??) and I think she is awesome too. And I'm *only* about 3 hours away from CCSC so yay for strong women in NC I will be following your log Cheri!
    Linds, come on over and see us sometime! We have a whole gym full of strong chicks, it is the best place I've ever trained.

I subscribed to your log as well, so I will be keeping up with your monster squat numbers!

Come see us Linds.

Cheri, you so had that 105 yesterday if you were loaded properly. Try to get some video of your squats tomorrow. I want to see them.

Fri 29 March

Squat
    45x5x2
    135x5
    155x3
    175x2 - belted
    185x1 - snuck this one in, I usually don't get to take such small jumps in warmups
    190x5x3 - work sets

Used my phone and a plyo box to grab some video of the three work sets, not a great angle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-JsZwMtcjo

Deadlift
    135x5x2
    165x3
    185x3 - belted
    200x1
    215x1
    230x5 - work set
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvKJ2o0hsWM

I completed my work set, and made a new 5 rep PR. But mentally, this was a difficult day for me. After standing up with the 5th rep at 230#, I had a freak out moment, and dropped the bar instead of lowering it. I was totally horrified with myself as soon as I did it. Pulling heavy loads like this for reps scares the shit out of me, despite all the feedback from my coaches that I'm moving properly and safely. My total lack of lower back soreness from this workout is proof that they are right. I just need to ditch the story in my head about deadlifts injuring me.

First of all, why are we both up at this hour with lifting on our minds?? (Well, I know it's because I was out drinking after work before this but that's besides the point) Awesome workout! I feel the pressure on for Monday! Haha. I see we both share the "mental struggle" of lifting heavy weights. Finding that inner confidence to overcome fear of the weight is something I haven't quite figured out on my own. I guess all we can do is keep going into the gym and just DOING it ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Linds View Post
    First of all, why are we both up at this hour with lifting on our minds?? (Well, I know it's because I was out drinking after work before this but that's besides the point) Awesome workout! I feel the pressure on for Monday! Haha. I see we both share the "mental struggle" of lifting heavy weights. Finding that inner confidence to overcome fear of the weight is something I haven't quite figured out on my own. I guess all we can do is keep going into the gym and just DOING it ;P
    That is pretty funny we were both on here between 3 and 4 AM. I don't have a good excuse like being out drinking, I just stay up late randomly when I don't have to get up the next day. :-)

Definitely felt some pressure during my workout today, but thankfully I pulled off 195#. On to 200# on Friday, yikes!

Mon 1 April

Squat
    45x5x2
    135x5
    155x3
    175x2
    185x1
    195x5x3

There were some ugly reps in there, but I stood up with them all. I hope my ability to squat properly comes back soon!!

It's hard to believe that 7 weeks ago my 1RM was 170#, and now I'm set to attempt 200x5x3 on Friday. Craaazy.

Conditioning
    Tabata pairs
    A. Hula-hooping (yes, seriously! haha) + hollow rocks
    B. Plank + walking lunges

Eat and rest well tonight. Tomorrow's a big day!

Wed 3 April

"Upper Body Beatdown" Day

Bench - 3x5 @ 85% 1RM
    45x5x2
    75x5
    95x3
    110x2
    120x3x5

Press - work up to heavy single, then reduce by 15% for one set of as many reps as possible
    45x5x2
    65x3
    85x1
    95x1
    100x1 -- daily max
    103x1 -- failed this attempt
    85x8 -- hard fought 8th rep, left arm took a looooong time to get locked out

Pull-Ups - 3x8, used skinny red band on all 3 sets
    Set 1 - overhand grip, no extra assist needed
    Set 2 - underhand grip, no extra assist needed
    Set 3 - mixed grip (L over, R under), need extra push from partner for last 3-4 or reps

DB Rows - 3x15, left & right
    Set 1 - 30#, had to drop db before hitting 15 on both L&R sets
    Set 2 - 25#, both L&R had to pause between reps, but did not drop db
    Set 3 - 25#, also paused but did not drop

starting strength coach development program
    Friday 5 April

Squat - planned 200x5x3, did not make that goal
    45x5x2
    95x5
    135x5
    155x3
    175x2 - belted
    190x1
    200x4 - missed 5th rep
    200x1
    165x5x2

Because of my spectacular fail on that 5th rep, it seemed wise to call it a day for the heavy stuff. After the fact, I'm wondering if I should've finished the day with triples at 200#. Regardless, I'm going to give 200x5x3 another shot on Monday.

Deadlift
    135x5x2
    165x3
    195x2
    215x1
    235x5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHgRN1h0J9I

Starting to feel comfortable with the idea that I have some thoracic rounding, but that doesn't compromise my lumbar extension. By the end of this set of 5, it felt like my sternum was being crushed a little bit - freaky. Next time I go for a heavy set of 5, I'm going to try a mixed grip and see if that help me stay extended up top.

Finisher
    15-12-9
    wall balls, 12#
    kettlebell swings, 35#
    3:30-ish

Starting the set of 12 wallballs was the worst part of this.
    Last edited by Cheri Wissmann; 04-08-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast