Squat
    45x5x2
    135x5x1 -- will drop reps down to 3 here next time
    155x2x1
    175x2x1 -- belted
    195x1x1 -- meant to do 190, barbell math is hard hah
    200x5x3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtS8107v6DQ - video of sets 2 and 3

Woot! Squats felt awesome today. Ate my face off for the 24 hours prior to this training session, since Friday was such a disaster. I was also a lot more active today than I was Friday -- sitting on my ass for hours is not conducive to a good workout.

My mental focus was also super sharp today. I did a charity walk over the weekend for March of Dimes, in memory of my friend's daughter who passed away due to her premature birth, and wore my "Team Mila" tshirt to train. Can't help but be strong and get the tough shit done when thinking about a little girl and family who went through so much.

Skill Focus - Pistol
    Roll-up squats - 10 reps total
    Heel-touches, 3R and 3L
    - set 1: 12"
    - set 2: 13.5"
    - set 3: 15"

Finisher
    2k relay on rower - goal was to finish in 8:30 or less
    Group of 3 - we split the distance into 5 350m segments and a final 250m segment.
    I rowed the 3rd 350m and final 250m. Kept splits in the 1:40s on the second, really pushed myself to sprint since I was the "anchor" of the relay. Felt great rowing with the damper between 4 and 5, would love to try an individual 2k at that setting and see where I'm at compared to my old PR of 8:50-ish.

Default Wed 10 April

Squat - back off day
    45x5x2
    135x5x2

Push Press - daily max, 85% 3x4
    45x5
    75x2
    95x1
    105x1
    115x1 - belted
    125x1
    135x1x2
    140x1
    145 -- failed first attempt, power jerked second attempt
    125x3x3
    125x2 -- failed 3rd, reracked, failed at second attempt to redo 3rd rep, done

Bench Press - 2 sets as many reps as possible, 70%
    Downgraded from 75%, since that would be 120#, which is as high as I've gone for my 5x3s
    45x5
    75x3
    95x2
    112x8 - work set -- really surprised and happy about getting this many
    112x7 - work set

Pullups - 15 reps total; broke into as many sets as needed, just trying to get them all done unassisted
    3 - overhand
    2 - overhand
    1 - overhand
    1 - chin
    1 - chin
    1 - chin
    1 - chin
    1 - chin
    1 - overhand, kip to top, pause, slow negative
    1 - overhand, kip to top, pause, slow negative
    1 - chin

Default Fri 12 April

Squat - going for 5x3 at 205#
    45x5x2
    135x4
    155x3
    175x2
    195x1
    205x5x3

Made it!! Rested about 10-12 minutes between attempts. Also focused on eating like a champ for the 24 hours prior. Left knee is achy, knee sleeves should be arriving today so I can use them on Monday. Ordering some glucosamine and fish oil online, to add to my single red krill oil tablet I currently take daily.

Left knee is drifting in, so will need work technique on forcing it out even more.

I was excused from deadlifting, due to very heavy squats. Not a problem with me! That is my least favorite lift.

Dips - just for fun, to see what I can do now
    Did two sets: 5 reps and 6 reps

This is at least twice as many as I've ever been able to do in the past. Looking forward to being able to do 10!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPxU91aYf0s

Default Mon 15 April

Squat
    45x5x2
    135x3
    155x2 -- belted
    180x2
    200x1
    210x5x3 -- work sets

This was a miraculous workout. I'm not even sure how I was able to grind out the last 2-3 reps on the second and third sets. But as slow as I was going, I managed to keep tight and keep pushing until I stood up. FUCK YEAH! :-D

Continuing to make progress on these squats has given me more feelings of pride and satisfaction than I've had in a LONG time. It feels really good. And makes the stress of the 5x3 workouts totally worth it.

Continuing to eat conscientiously -- making sure I never go too long without something substantial in my belly. Even managed to eat pretty well over the weekend despite traveling. Squat performance tonight was probably brought to you by the Baja Fresh steak quesadillas I ate in the Atlanta airport on Sunday.

Pullups
    Felt like a slacker not doing anything after squats, so did some pullups between working my legs on the foam roller.
    3 pullups
    1 pullup + 1 chinup
    1 pullup + 1 chinup

I second the fuck yea!!! And I am totally hating on your press progression while I'm still over here in Stagnationland. Great work. I've never rested longer than 5min between squats; I'll have to give that a try next time! I need to take some tips from you on eating too--I'm around food all day at work, yet it has the opposite effect of totally killing my appetite for those 8-10 hours. And what brand of fish oil did you order? Does it make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Linds View Post
    I second the fuck yea!!! And I am totally hating on your press progression while I'm still over here in Stagnationland. Great work. I've never rested longer than 5min between squats; I'll have to give that a try next time! I need to take some tips from you on eating too--I'm around food all day at work, yet it has the opposite effect of totally killing my appetite for those 8-10 hours. And what brand of fish oil did you order? Does it make a difference?
    I think my progress on press has been influenced by two factors -- bench pressing regularly for the first time, and holding such heavy weight in the low-bar back squat. At this point my sets of 5 are above what I've ever squatted before, so I am actually more sore in my shoulders than anything else.

I absolutely must rest that long between heavy squat sets. Your workouts are super heavy, so extended rest is definitely something you should try!

Right now I take Mega Red krill oil capsules -- I chose those mostly because my mom has trouble swallowing large capsules, and these are small and I wanted to give them a trial run to see if they might work for her.

Was just talking to some peeps at the gym about trying a liquid version, since that makes it easier to take a large dose. The recommended VitaCost website for a good price.
    http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-liq...sh-oil-epa-dha

The only thing that makes a difference is how much EPA and DHA are in the capsule. That's basically the ingredients you're taking it for! I'm definitely not the expert on this, but I'd say more is better.

Default Wed 17 April

Squat - none; full-on recovery day

I didn't have time to ponder how weird it was to not squat, since we jumped right into "Upper Body Beatdown Day".

Bench - 10x3 @ ~75%
    45x5x2
    70x3
    95x10x3

Press - 3x8
    45x5x2
    65x3
    80x8x1
    80x7, 1 push press to finish
    80x6, 2 PP to finish

DB Rows - 3x10 @ 40#

Curl & Press - 3x10
    Set 1 - 25#
    Set 2 - 25#
    Set 3 - 20#
    These were fucking brutal!

Tabata Finisher
    Combo of pushups, low & high planks, situps & hollow rocks

Me and the other 2 women I lift with had our first experience with "pump". So of course we ended up talking about Ah-nold and Pumping Iron and air lats. :) Definitely a fun day in the gym, despite the pain of all those long sets.

Default Fri 19 April

Squat - heavy back-off
    45x5x2
    135x5
    165x3
    185x5x3

Quads felt "grind-y". Gillian observed that my right glute didn't seem to be firing, but I didn't feel anything different. Knee sleeves felt great, as they did on Monday. Glad to have them.

Deadlift
    135x5x2
    165x3
    195x2
    225x3x3

I could really do without this lift. The more I do it the more I hate it. I guess it will just be a necessary evil for me.

Conditioning
    Rope waves, :20 work, rest while group members rotate through
    single arm waves, double arm waves, single, double

Default Mon 22 April

Squat - planned: 5x3 @ 215, did not get it
    45x5x2
    135x5
    165x3 -- belted
    190x2
    205x1
    215x4 -- got crushed under 5th rep
    165x5x2

After my 5th rep went bad, I completely lost my composure and I was done for the day. I sense that it's time for me to do some kind of drastic deload. I have been pushing forward almost non-stop since Feb 11th, which makes this my 11th week at CCSC. And at the moment there are things in my personal life that making it very hard for me to get fully recovered and mentally ready for weights this heavy.

Bright side: 215 is a lifetime squat PR, and I did it for 4 reps.

Press - heavy 3x3
    45x5x2
    75x3
    90x2
    92.5x3x3 - belted

Should've done work sets at 95, but I was too fucked in the head after squats to force myself to do it.

Conditioning
    2 rounds: 50 walking lunges, 21 burpees

Haven't done burpees in a million years. Or at least a year -- the 7 minutes of burpees wod from the 2012 Open is probably why I don't CrossFit anymore. :)

Default Wed 24 April

starting strength coach development program
    Squat - 5 doubles @ 215#
    45x5x2
    135x5
    165x3
    190x2
    205x1 -- completed warm-ups within 12 mins
    215x2x5 -- 3 mins rest between sets

I really needed these doubles to get my confidence up. The bar has started to feel so heavy, but by the 5 set, it wasn't so bad.

It seems that my days of 3x5s have come to an end. It was fun while it lasted! I'm pretty happy with where I ended up. :)

Bench - 3x10
    45x5x2
    75x3
    100x10x3

Added 5 pounds to this from last time, felt great! I really enjoy bench press at difficult, but not super heavy, weights.

Pullups - 18 total reps, any way
    Two negatives mixed in there as well. Most of the rest were chins.

DB Row - 3x10 w/ 50# dumbbell
    Used a little "heave" on these, much prefer doing them that way. :)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast