Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheri's Training Log

Default Cheri's Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Height: 5'6''
    Weight: ~160

I began my first Starting Strength cycle on 11 February 2013, at Crystal Coast Strength and Conditioning. I'm very lucky to have Gillian and Mac Ward guiding my progress.

6 weeks in, my PRs are:
    Squat - 5 @ 185; 1 @ 210
    Press - 5 @ 92.5; 1 @ 100
    Deadlift - 5 @ 220
    Bench - 5 @ 120; 1 @ 140

My current Olympic lifting PRs are:
    Snatch - 115#
    Clean & Jerk - 152#
    Jerk - 155#

My training for the last 18 months has primarily focused on trying to get better at Olympic weightlifting. I transitioned to that from CrossFit, which I had been doing since 2008. I'm somewhat Gillian's protege in that I don't have any interest in continuing to do CrossFit, and I'm putting all my energy into strength sports. Olympic weightlifting is my love, but I'm open to trying powerlifting as well. I've also done one Highland Games, and it was fun as hell -- I would definitely like to do more of that in the future.

Some videos from the last 6 weeks:
    Deadlift, 5 @ 210 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLdOWpkvqjk
    Deadlift, 5 @ 220 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdbVXldrt5o
    Squat, 5 @ 180 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMvrTaZiUBg

9am training session today - I had to fit it in early, as I'm taking a road trip this afternoon.

It was nice to meet the 10am group. 3 girls and 1 guy, just like my 4:30pm group. I love that CCSC has so many women.

Squat - back off day
    3x5 @ 135#, 2 minutes rest between sets

Press - today was my first day doing 3's; used the same load I used for my last 3x5 press, where I got 5-5-4-1.
    5x3 @ 92.5

Deadlift - new PR! Finally moving the bar with two pairs of 45s, a HUGE goal of mine.
    5 @ 225
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJyRtwdqjY0
    I use a double-overhand hook grip on the bar - that's just what feels most comfortable. The weird false start on the 5th rep wasn't due to losing my grip. It was more like losing my focus, I started to think too much.

Can't wait to get back in the gym Monday and squat 190 for 3x5. One more step towards 200, which I set as my goal for May.

Looking good! You're moving right along, I wish I had some SS coaches around here, I'm sure it will make your progress much quicker. Good luck!

Keep it up Cheri! Envying you with your TWO SS coaches.

Cheri, we are very excited to have you here with us. You are a pleasure to coach. Mac and I spoke of the fire that you have inside this morning. Keep up the good work. Your potential is limitless.

Thanks Sven and Bobster! I have been without a coach for almost 2 years, so I am soaking in every moment!

And I should also add that Billy Mixon coaches me at CCSC as well, and is also awesome.

Monday 25 March

Squat
    4-3-3-3-2 @ 190# (sorry if this is "CrossFit" style notation!)

This was supposed to be a 3x5. Standing up with rep 4 of the first set, I think I came to a complete stop at one point while grinding it out. It was obviously back into the rack after that. Made the decision with Gillian to back off to a 5x3 to get my training volume for the day. Will get (not try!) the 3x5 @ 190# on Friday.

Overall, I just could not get my execution "in the groove", something was off - lots of weird inconsistencies in the rest of the sets that I don't usually have. One guess for cause was the 5-6 hours I was driving both Friday and Sunday. Also, I trained 2 hours later than normal, and did not eat my face off like I usual do on a heavy day. In any case, I'm shaking this one off as a fluke and will get back to business as usual next time I squat.

Side note: I have broken blood vessels around my eyes today. First time that has happened from a barbell lift, and not from handstand pushups or GHD situps. Love that, I feel hellah legit. hah

Bench
    10-8-6-4-2 @ 95# with 2 mins rest (or less) between sets
    The squats pretty much wrecked me, so I grabbed some much needed practice on bench press. This is my weakest lift, in terms of being comfortable and having a mature technique. I'm still inconsistent and figuring this one out.

Tried a set of pullups as I was leaving -- I did 3 deadhang pullups with no "baby kip" at the bottom. HUGE progress for me there -- I've had trouble with getting started at the bottom of the strict pullup for several years at least. Finally doing true strict reps felt awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian Mounsey View Post
    Cheri, we are very excited to have you here with us. You are a pleasure to coach. Mac and I spoke of the fire that you have inside this morning. Keep up the good work. Your potential is limitless.
    Thanks Gillian! Making you guys proud is a huge motivator for me. I have never been held to such high expectations before, and I am surprising myself every day with what I can do.

This is awesome!! I too am jealous of your coaches.. I have read and seen a little bit about Gillian (100 muscle ups!??) and I think she is awesome too. And I'm *only* about 3 hours away from CCSC so yay for strong women in NC I will be following your log Cheri!

starting strength coach development program
    Cheri, you are great to work with. I definitely feed off your intensity whenever you come in. I can't wait to see how you progress these next few months.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast