starting strength gym
Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Antigeezerdom Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Too funny just now. About an hour ago I was coming back from a project walkthrough with a couple of other guys in their 50's who were moaning about getting old. To which I replied, "I'll kick the Reaper's ass and bench press the lid off my coffin!"
    Too funny. You know The Reaper is weak as hell too...Probably couldn't nail the coffin shut without getting out of breath!

Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    That was actually a pretty cool song
    Hmm, it sounds like you don't know Little Feat. I was listening to them and buying their records when Lowell George was still alive. (Hint: a long time ago.) Check out or pick up "Waiting For Columbus". It's one of the best live albums of the era, right up there with the Allmans' "Fillmore East".

...although this is more my style...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg
    Well, that's the twenty year gap in our ages explained. Nirvana was one of the few 90s bands to bring a new sound AND could actually play their instruments. Good stuff.

Too funny just now. About an hour ago I was coming back from a project walkthrough with a couple of other guys in their 50's who were moaning about getting old. To which I replied, "I'll kick the Reaper's ass and bench press the lid off my coffin!"
    Mark knows this is my worst peeve but you probably don't yet, Runner. I'm watching friends whom I've known since the 70s turn grey and shrivel before my eyes. All they say is, "people our age can't do the things we used to do any more." Fuck. They are getting diabetes II and bad backs. You should have seen the look I got when I asked a pal to come out of canoeing retirement and rejoin the annual Wisconsin River weekend of floating debauchery. The most they do physically any more is move their rocking chairs on the veranda to stay in the sun spot. Their sixties and seventies will not be pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    Mark knows this is my worst peeve but you probably don't yet, Runner. I'm watching friends whom I've known since the 70s turn grey and shrivel before my eyes. All they say is, "people our age can't do the things we used to do any more." Fuck. They are getting diabetes II and bad backs. You should have seen the look I got when I asked a pal to come out of canoeing retirement and rejoin the annual Wisconsin River weekend of floating debauchery. The most they do physically any more is move their rocking chairs on the veranda to stay in the sun spot. Their sixties and seventies will not be pleasant.
    I have seen people who built themselves a rough road in their elderly years through inaction. I decided I wasn't going to be one of them and did something about it. Now don't get me wrong, rocking chairs are awesome and deserve serious consideration among geezerkind but should not be considered the main course of recreation! I would think Bobg's week of floating debauchery would be more interesting over the long haul though!

exercise.jpg

I don't have any of our own photos at hand so I pulled this pic from Google. This is the Lower Wisconsin River. You find a spot of sand and set up camp.

I just noticed, though, that this young lady does not have a beer in hand. Hmm, that's odd, usually not permitted, a party foul of the most heinous variety.

No beer on a float in WiSCONsin???? What the Hell is going on up there?

Funny the age thing as bob g was saying and the woes described. In jujitsu this morning the guy I was working with, a green belt my size but a mere 35, was having a bad time with his back. I can completely relate because mine grumbles at me now and again too, but less and less since getting my form cleaned up at Rip's seminar last year. Now, not only do I not hurt myself as often, but my back is stronger and more resistant to potential grumpiness.

This prompted the head teacher who is 5 years younger than me to catalog the tick list of the woes of aging. He doesn't think a lot of strength training by the way. The slower metabolism, the change in the quality of muscle and how it feels, the fatigue. I had to bite my tongue and tell him he was describing an all too typical loss of muscle mass and strength if you don't do something to stave it off.

4/13/13

Nutrition: Check
    Sleep: Hahahahahaha.....
    Warm up: 500m row sprint

Squat: 45# 2x5, 95# 1x5, 135# 1x3, 175 1x2, 195 1x1, 210 3x5

Bench: 45# 2x5, 75# 1x5, 95# 1x3, 115# 1x2, 135# 1x1, 145 3x5

Deadlift: 135# 2x5, 165# 1x5, 195# 1x3, 225 1x1, 245 1x5

Chin ups: 3x6

Wow what a mess today. I did a 10k last sunday morning after a rough week at work and it blew me up for this week. I was about to hit 220 on my squat last week and now I'm have to work back up to 215. Oh well. The run (Bridge to Brews, Portland OR.) was a fantabulous event and I had a chance to meet up with friends I have not seen for many years. Well worth a week of recovery.

Squats today were brutal and I expect I need a little more recovery than usual until I get back into the swing of things. I kept feeling unsteady under the load and I expect it was because I wasn't using the same level of hip drive I had in prior weeks.

Bench was a thing of beauty and I have a ton in the tank for that exercise. I can't wait until I start hitting 165-170 and break my old records. Booya!

Deadlifts per usual wrecked my world although I managed to advance them a bit. I cannot seem to wear a belt without skin shear so I am a little nervous about the exercise. I have been videoing (sp) myself and I think i am doing the exercise right. Sure wish there was a SS coach in the area to help me correct form but the nearest one is three hours away and I do not have the time for that sort of expedition.

And the Picture for the day....

try-it-they-said-funny-pictures.jpg

No beer on a float in WiSCONsin???? What the Hell is going on up there?

Funny the age thing as bob g was saying and the woes described. In jujitsu this morning the guy I was working with, a green belt my size but a mere 35, was having a bad time with his back. I can completely relate because mine grumbles at me now and again too, but less and less since getting my form cleaned up at Rip's seminar last year. Now, not only do I not hurt myself as often, but my back is stronger and more resistant to potential grumpiness.

This prompted the head teacher who is 5 years younger than me to catalog the tick list of the woes of aging. He doesn't think a lot of strength training by the way. The slower metabolism, the change in the quality of muscle and how it feels, the fatigue. I had to bite my tongue and tell him he was describing an all too typical loss of muscle mass and strength if you don't do something to stave it off.
    I agree about the small twinges you get when muscle mass deteriorates. I see that issue crop up as age advances. Basically its use it or lose it.

I am ramping up to restart Krav Maga next year after a multi year hiatus and am using strength training/HIIT to get into position to move up the rankings. Last time I did Krav I lasted 8 months before realizing I seriously needed to build some muscle mass if I wanted to make some real progress. I found that I did not have the grip or striking ability to hang with the more advanced students who were both cardio conditioned and strong. I had the cardio just not the strength. Can't wait to go into the studio having both in my tool box.

Portland! A beautiful city along the Columbia River George. Oh yeah, I said George. We had some friends who lived in Vancouver, WA and we got to know the area a little. During one such visit, Dearly Beloved who was slightly in her cups misspoke and called it the George. That same trip, our daughter who is now 23 and then about 5, called Mount Hood Mountain Hood. Both phrases have become embedded in family lore. By me. Neither of them think it all that cute or funny these days.

Everyone I have encountered in Oregon has been polite. I know there must be some reprobates because they have police, jails, and prisons there; but it's like going back to the rural Midwest where I hale from. Except prettier. Our daughter went to OSU and I have made the Great West Coast Road Rally many times on I-5 for the start and end of the school year as well as Dad's Weekend in Corvallis. All 945 miles of the drive are permanently affixed in my brain.

starting strength coach development program
    Portland! A beautiful city along the Columbia River George. Oh yeah, I said George. We had some friends who lived in Vancouver, WA and we got to know the area a little. During one such visit, Dearly Beloved who was slightly in her cups misspoke and called it the George. That same trip, our daughter who is now 23 and then about 5, called Mount Hood Mountain Hood. Both phrases have become embedded in family lore. By me. Neither of them think it all that cute or funny these days.

Everyone I have encountered in Oregon has been polite. I know there must be some reprobates because they have police, jails, and prisons there; but it's like going back to the rural Midwest where I hale from. Except prettier. Our daughter went to OSU and I have made the Great West Coast Road Rally many times on I-5 for the start and end of the school year as well as Dad's Weekend in Corvallis. All 945 miles of the drive are permanently affixed in my brain.
    Yeah Oregon is a beautiful place and well worth a visit. The camping, outdoor activities are hard to beat. The state reminds me of a sleepy town where everyone knows everyone else even when you don't want to. I love it up here. OSU though.....I dunno man, as a dyed in the wool Oregon Duck I might have to take umbrage! GO DUCKS!

Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast