starting strength gym
Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Antigeezerdom Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Knew the OSU thing would smoke you out one way or the other. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Our daughter and I got caught on I-5 just after a ducks home game with the Beavs ended around dusk. Man. It was like being back in LA. A bumper to bumper crawl. I always time the drive to make sure I do it in one day and don't have to navigate the Siskiyou's in the dark. That's hard enough in daylight.

As for cardio, I used to be totally committed to 30 minutes a day 5+ days a week. But the reality is that you can get it done in around 15 minutes twice a week. Given that real fights in the real world last around a minute or so, and that in an urban area where most attacks take place you can yell, run, and attract or get help in around the same amount of time, that short term burst of cardio, speed, and force . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Knew the OSU thing would smoke you out one way or the other. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Our daughter and I got caught on I-5 just after a ducks home game with the Beavs ended around dusk. Man. It was like being back in LA. A bumper to bumper crawl. I always time the drive to make sure I do it in one day and don't have to navigate the Siskiyou's in the dark. That's hard enough in daylight.

As for cardio, I used to be totally committed to 30 minutes a day 5+ days a week. But the reality is that you can get it done in around 15 minutes twice a week. Given that real fights in the real world last around a minute or so, and that in an urban area where most attacks take place you can yell, run, and attract or get help in around the same amount of time, that short term burst of cardio, speed, and force . . .
    1680x1050.jpg

OSU/UO are good schools and both have a great tradition in the state.

Yeah I made a major shift in how I approach conditioning for Krav Maga. I am going to push the strength envelope with just enough HIIT to maintain body composition and anaerobic burst potential. 2-3 HIIT sessions a week max is what I am adding to Starting Strength and I plan to reduce cardio once it starts reduce my ability to recover from LP. Then once I max out LP I think TM is one of the better methods to incorporate the HIIT back into the program. At least thats the thinking now and we shall see as we move forward.

Decided to post my 2013 goals so I could check them off as I got there. The edit function on this forum doesn't seem to like me since it stalls out all over.

Goals for 2013.
    Squat: 250# 3x5
    Bench: 175# 3x5
    Press: 115# 3x5
    Deadlift: 275# 3x5
    Powerclean: 160# 3x5
    Chin up: 3x10
    Pull up: 3x10
    Bodyfat%: Below 18%

I just wanted to write and say hi. I started reading because I thought this was a 'masters' thread (as in senior) but as far as I can tell you are still in your 30s? Or did I misread? I don't think that's old, but certainly if you keep yourself fit and strong and you don't need to feel old for a long time yet.

Great log and a good read, anyway, and it looks like you're doing some excellent work - keep it up!

I'm 49 an just started SS last week. I've been inactive for 3-4 months after snapping my achilles tendon doing judo. The only time I've ever felt 'old' was this last 3 months being inactive, immobile and getting stiff and weak as a result. So I'm pleased to be doing SS and making strong gains. I started a log too, because I thought I was in for a long recovery haul, but after only a week I'm already beginning to feel like my old (young) self again and my recovery goals look a bit cautious so I'm going to aim a bit higher. Funny how age 'programs' us to assume a longer recovery, or a lesser ability, but the truth is it's all in the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    I just wanted to write and say hi. I started reading because I thought this was a 'masters' thread (as in senior) but as far as I can tell you are still in your 30s? Or did I misread? I don't think that's old, but certainly if you keep yourself fit and strong and you don't need to feel old for a long time yet.

Great log and a good read, anyway, and it looks like you're doing some excellent work - keep it up!

I'm 49 an just started SS last week. I've been inactive for 3-4 months after snapping my achilles tendon doing judo. The only time I've ever felt 'old' was this last 3 months being inactive, immobile and getting stiff and weak as a result. So I'm pleased to be doing SS and making strong gains. I started a log too, because I thought I was in for a long recovery haul, but after only a week I'm already beginning to feel like my old (young) self again and my recovery goals look a bit cautious so I'm going to aim a bit higher. Funny how age 'programs' us to assume a longer recovery, or a lesser ability, but the truth is it's all in the mind.
    Thanks for posting Magma. You did not misread my age. I am still in my 30s and am striving to be one of those beasts (Mark Hurling, Bobg, Jon Sullivan, Oldster to name a few) you see on this forum when I hit my 60s, hence the name of my log. I figured that I would start now and maintain what gains I make rather than later after I have paid the price of inactivity!

I started up this log because I gained alot from reading logs on this forum and thought it would be appropriate to give a little back. Also since I am gearing up for Krav Maga early next year I thought having this log in place would give me some perspective a couple years down the road when I look back at where I started at.

I wish you luck in your recovery/SS progression!

4/15/13

Nutrition: Check
    Sleep: decent

No 500m row sprint today as I was running out of time. Just stretched a bit then dove in.

Squats: 215 3x5
    Military Press: 102.5 3x5
    Power Clean: 135 3x5
    Pull ups: 6-5-6
    Squat is coming along nicely. As long as I keep eating well I can see that squat slowly climbing. Almost at the point where I need to start microloading or keep the same weight for 2-3 days before advancing.

The military press was rough today. It's the runners curse to not have much in the way of upper body strength and it shows in this lift. I pulled it off but the last rep on the second set was rough. Third set went up fine though so I must not have rested enough between set 1 and 2. Going to try 105 next lift and we'll see how it shakes out.

I am holding the power clean at 135 to make sure I have technique down solid before moving up. I have a hard time getting my arms under the bar and slamming the bar to my shoulders. I want to make sure I have that right before increasing.

Pull ups went up nicely but I must have felt in a rush because for some reason I failed #6 on the second set. I gotta try...P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E...

15 min HIIT to round out the day to maintain cardio. 5 burpees - 5 wallballs was nice and relaxing compared to squats.....

Pic of the Day...

teamwork.jpg
    Last edited by Runner; 04-15-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: fat fat fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    4/15/13
    The military press was rough today. It's the runners curse to not have much in the way of upper body strength and it shows in this lift. I pulled it off but the last rep on the second set was rough. Third set went up fine though so I must not have rested enough between set 1 and 2. Going to try 105 next lift and we'll see how it shakes out.
    Presses are hard. They are supposed to be hard. You will get better and the pile will move but the presses will feel just as hard when you are moving 175 as they do today. Sorry.

Pro tip: wear your Mac Wilkins t-shirt when you press instead of your Pre t-shirt. Heh, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    Presses are hard. They are supposed to be hard. You will get better and the pile will move but the presses will feel just as hard when you are moving 175 as they do today. Sorry.

Pro tip: wear your Mac Wilkins t-shirt when you press instead of your Pre t-shirt. Heh, heh.
    Yeah those presses are rough. I'll be happy as long as they move and I am definitely in microloading territory on them. In regards to T-shirts I'm actually tempted to get a "Bald Guys Rock" T-shirt to compliment my dome of shininess...Mac Wilkins is tempting though (after I looked him up online to figure out who the heck he is...) Furthering the education of the next generation Bob...

What???? You are a Duck and don't know about Wilkins??? He was on the same team as Prefontaine. They were national champions in the same year!!! He was a world record holder.

Kids, jeesh.

You have to find a Wilkins shirt to press in. It'll be worth five pounds all by itself.

ETA: OK, try to ignore the shorts it was the 70s, stud describes this world champion Duck

Last edited by bob g; 04-15-2013 at 09:03 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    What???? You are a Duck and don't know about Wilkins??? He was on the same team as Prefontaine. They were national champions in the same year!!! He was a world record holder.

Kids, jeesh.

You have to find a Wilkins shirt to press in. It'll be worth five pounds all by itself.

ETA: OK, try to ignore the shorts it was the 70s, stud describes this world champion Duck

Kids, jeesh can't shootem can't throw them off the short bus! I actually didn't know who this gentleman was so I appreciate the heads up. I will find his shirt asap...Did I mention he looks like he is about to eat someone alive in that picture?

Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast