Unhappy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    2/19/18

Squat: 410# 2x3, 345# 2x5
    Bench: 235# 2x3, 205# 3x5
    Paused Squat: 260# 2x8 (time)
    Paused Bench: 175 2x6 (1 second pause) (time)

Squats were good. Was a little high (1/2 inch) on last rep last set. Finally back on 235# bench yay! Need to work the descent on the first rep better as I am going too slow. Ran out of time as my little girl was in on the party and was a challenge to concentrate. Oh well! Was a good day overall!

2/24/18

Good mornings: 185# 2x8
    Sq: 415# 2x3 !!!!, 345# 2x5
    Bench: 237.5# 2x3, 205# 3x5
    Box squats: 200# 2x8

Nice day....prs all around in bench and squat!

2/26/18

DL: 415# 3x2 (setxrep)
    pDL: 230# 1x8, 1x7
    Press: 170# 3x2, 147.5# 2x5
    BBrow: 230# 2x8 (passed ran out of time)
    Landmine: 2xAMRAP (Passed ran out of time)

415# DL just about killed me. By the third set last rep I was waving in the breeze trying to stay in control of the lift. I finished it out but man it was a grind. I think the weight was in more control of the last rep than I was. I was getting pretty gassed by the lift as well since I only had 1 day of recovery from squatting on saturday. I did it though!

Ran out of time and had to pick up munchkin. Darn life getting in the way of lifting (lolz). Tried to come back to the assessory lifts I missed after a couple hours but my body was having nothing of it.

Ride the PR wave Runner!

Very nice lifts and after a serious grind on the dl I am usually toast. Overall great progress but you need to slow down so I can catch you.

Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    Very nice lifts and after a serious grind on the dl I am usually toast. Overall great progress but you need to slow down so I can catch you.
    Thanks Leprechaun!. Well you have your chance now. I crashed and burned last workout and have reset. Come catch me!

2/28/18

Squat: 375 2x2 (f)
    Bench: 220 2x3 (f)

Finally hit the wall with my current programming and I ground it out about as hard as I could. Programming change and reset coming in courtesy of Jordan Stanton (Stanton Strength, Portland Oregon). Give his a call if you are in the area because he is well worth your time and money.

3/5/18

Squat: 365# 1x3, 302.5# 4x7
    Bench: 205# 1x3, 170# 4x7
    Westside Box Squats: time
    Pin Presses: Time

Seriously pushed hard the last couple of weeks and have hit the wall hard...bounce....

Moved to a three week cycle with the first week building volume, second week hitting current lifts, and third week making a step forward. I deloaded hard this week as the fatigue has run me over as demonstrated by the last couple of workouts. I look forward to getting back into the 400s on my lifts but recognize that I need a period of relaxation after six months of hard work. Vacation at the end of this week paired with a deload is a good idea.

Workout today was a grinder....

So I have posted my training progression in the past and thought I would formalize my thoughts on the last year of training in one place so I could refer back to it if the wheels come off my training like it has in the past. Due to life/work/school/family commitments I have had to reduce myself to a two day a week workout cycle (boo!), which has altered the SSLP to meet both the need for an overload event and provide the necessary adaptation recovery cycle. I decided to hit all four lifts with minor accessory work for egos sake…

A
    Time 2-2.5 hours
    Shoulder dislocates
    Squat stretch
    Row: 500m @ moderate pace
    Squat: 3x5
    Bench: 3x5
    Deadlift: 1x5
    Press: 3x5

Optional Lifts Pick 2 (if you are feeling frisky)
    Curl 3x8
    Laying Triceps Extensions 3x8
    Lat Pull Down 3x8 (built my own)
    Ab Roller 3x10 (Oldster introduced these to me!)
    Couch to 5K Run (awesome podcast by Podrunner)
    Row 2,000m @ 2:25/500m

This programming took me from March to October and resulted in (3x5) 365 squat/deadlift, 210 bench, 150 press. Decided that I needed programming/training support and hired Jordan Stanton of Stanton Strength. Good guy and I highly recommend him if you are in southern Washington/ Northern Oregon.

We reset heavily and moved to a 3x3 set up with a 2x5 back off set resulting in:

A
    Squat: 3x3, 88% 2x5
    Bench: 3x3, 88% 2x5
    Pause Squat: 2x8
    Spoto Press: 2x8 (eventually landed on 2x6 as I was toast by the end of the session)

B
    Deadlift: 3x3
    RDL: 2x10
    Press: 3x3, 88% 2x5
    BB Row: 2x10
    Landmine Press: 2xAmrap

Interchangeable accessory lifts

Barbell Row: 2x6-10 – trap work
    Landmine Press: 2xAmrap (weak arm limits number) Arm/press development
    Pause Squat: 2x6-8 (2 seconds) – Comfort at parallel and proper positioning
    Pause DL: 2x6-8 (2 seconds) – Forces proper form at start of lift
    Pause Bench / Spoto Bench: 2x6-8 (2 seconds) – Comfort at chest – develops push from chest position
    Romanian Deadlift: 2x6-10 – posterior chain development
    Safety Squat: 2x6-10 – forces thoracic extension

Once 3x3 was exhausted we moved to a 3x2 scheme until I hit a wall at 415. End lifts were 3x2 Squat 415, Deadlift 415, Bench 237.5, Press 170. Pretty good push in the last year and I am not complaining!

Ok I know someone out there in the internetzzzz is looking at this asking themselves, “Why is this guy doing Romanian Deadlifts rather than ubermovement XYZ?” One of the things I never internalized until now was the purpose of accessory lifts and their proper placement in the training scheme. I used to think that accessory lifts were to give a little bump on those areas that you wanted to work on. NOPE. Yeah I know….accessory lifts are designed to work on identified weaknesses and give the trainee both the proprioceptive queues for heavy weight as well as provide additional strength development. Took me a while to wrap my head around that one but the concept has settled in.

Current programming

Since I have to stick to a 2 day a week workout regimen it placed my trainer in a bind. His inclination would be to move to a 3-4 workouts a week to spread the total volume out over the week. I am still unable to do that type of scheduling (which sucks) but I do the best I can with what I have. Trainer decided to move towards a 3 week periodization cycle where we have one deload week, one current lift week, and one step forward week where we realize the strength increases. I am going to give it a couple months before I discuss current programming as I want to make sure what we are doing is successful before I spend a ton of mental energy on it. I am looking forward to the results.

Once again props to Jordan Stanton at Stanton Strength for getting me into the 400s. I suspect I would have crashed and burned without training support that cleaned up my form, identified form weaknesses to work on, and developed programming specific to my needs.
    Last edited by Runner; 03-06-2018 at 01:52 PM.

3/14/18

Westside Box Squats: 225# 2x6
    Bench Pin Presses: 135# 2x6
    Prowler: 45/45 x10 (5)
    Squat was real solid on the heavy sets. I felt I achieved the goal of knee placement within the first 1/3 of the lift and then reached back to maintain hamstring tension. Throughout the set I did not feel the slight slack i usually have in my hamstrings before coming out of the hole. West side box squats help with the proprioception on reaching back with my descent and is a nice component. I will be pushing the weight up significantly over the next few weeks. Pin press bench was deliberately low as I get used to the lift. Pulling the reflex motion out of the lift forces me to stay much tighter in order to move the bar which is the point of the lift itself. Now that I have gotten used to the feel of the lift I will be driving this one as well.

Introduced the prowler for some conditioning. 45 seconds on 45 seconds off x10 rounds. Only got 5 rounds in and will build up over the next few weeks. Brutal conditioning work on top of all the weights. Prowler is supposed to be performed the day after a lift but I don’t have time tomorrow so had to do it today.

Lightbulb

3/19/18

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

Westside Box Squats: 245# 2x6
    Bench Pin Presses: 185# 2x6

Repeated last weeks deload exercise asI was really feeling burnt up from it. Easy Peasy now and am sitting on my eagerness to jump up hard in weight for next week. Nice thing is that 365 squats feel really easy now and just demonstrates how I have developed over the last 6 months. Today’s lift as a whole was a nice restart and will be driving on. Volume did not bury me at all.

Hopefully prowler tomorrow depending on work, life, school, kids, fatigue, lack of sleep, and a burning desire to “To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And to hear the lamentations of their women.” Conan Rocks!
    Last edited by Runner; 03-22-2018 at 06:53 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    3/20/18

Row: 500m @ 2:00
    Prowler: 270# 45 on 45 off x5

Woke up sore and decided to try the prowler for active recovery and flush some of that lactic acid out. Only managed 5 reps before I gassed out. That prowler is something else and I love it. I am hoping I can incorporate the prowler as we get up in weight but we shall see. Working my way up to 10 reps and will get there sooner than later.
    Last edited by Runner; 03-22-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast