starting strength gym
Page 60 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Antigeezerdom Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    415 DL

Came off of 4-5 days of losing PRs through GI distress. Nope wasn't pretty....Im looking down again...Supinated hand was bothering me as I am trying to find the sweet spot that reduces skin shear/tear and I haven't quite found it. Slight hitching. Back angle good. Futzing around too much in the prep and I need to lock and go. The supinated hand positioning is bugging me and I will figure it out.

Lost 30lbs off my press from the GI bug I had...Gotta love it. I am not as close to the bar on lift initiation as I need to be. Starting the lift from the elbow and not the shoulders. Work in progress and will keep on it.

7/17/18

SQ: 425 3x3, 352.5 4x7
    Bench: 235 3x3, 197.5 4x7
    Box Squat: 325# 2x8
    pin Bench: Pass (time)

Ok I am back up to where I was when I had GI distress 3 weeks ago. This recovery programming is doing it's job to get me back up to speed as quickly as possible and will remember it the next time my little girl brings the plague home...I swear childcare centers are plague incubators....

425 and the back off sets were easy peasy. 435 next week. Bench was light and I felt I could have done 3x5 no problem. What a nice thing to say after spending so many years chasing the bench and not succeeding. 245 next week then will step the rate of progression down to allow me to better to adapt to the weight as I failed at 255 3x3.

Box Squats were torture but I managed to knock them out. Last rep felt like I was moving a small train on my back. Ran out of time on the pin bench and I have to manage my time a little better.

Hoping that 500 DL/SQ is still on schedule for August but I am cutting it razor close....

I am at my trainer's on thursday to unfuck my press again.....

7/20/18
    DL: 425 3x3, 352.5 who the hell knows what reps I did x2
    Press: 155 3x3, 127.5 2x7, 1x6 f
    Floating deadlift: 340 3x3
    Landmine Press: time

Ooooooogly session at my trainers today. Was well rested and recovered when I went in and I blew out the heavy sets without difficulty however the volume sets kicked me to pieces. It wasn’t fatigue but rather technique that did me in. The deadlift bar knurling was the sharpest I’ve ever run into and it wrecked my supinated hand. The pain in my hand was something I have never experienced during a training session and it felt like the bar was ripping the shit out of my hand although no damage was done. My deadlift form would break down during the reps causing the bar to shift away from my shins causing me to have to squeeze harder to maintain contact. It was the extra squeeezing/shear forces that caused my lifts to go to shit. I was so distracted by the pain that I dumped the lifts....it was embarrassing and painful at the same time.

Then the day got better...main presses went well. On the last volume lift I got too far forward and the lift was going up and forward of where I needed it. My left arm internally rotated and I lost grip.....crassssshhhhhh the bar hit one hook and missed the other....face went red and wtf number 2 happened. L arm is sore....going on an ibuprophen regimen to knock this inflammation on its head.

Floating deadlifts is a new lift for me and it’s goal is to force lumbar extension while maintaining thoracic extension. Good lift and am glad to learn it....however I went back to the deadlift bar from hell and couldn’t pull it off from the pain. Trainer gave me straps to use and the bar magically blew off the ground. I’m going to try to work through the pain as I work form. I’m not a stranger to pain but this was something else..

Today was definitely a mixed bag of shitty happiness.
    Last edited by Runner; 07-19-2018 at 09:41 PM.

7/24/18

Sq: 455# 1, 1x3
    Press: 175# 1, 165 1x3
    DL: 455 1x2f

Went to trainer’s place and dropped in on their intermediate class and they were peaking from their last cycle so I hopped on in. Squat was easy, although I lost mid foot on last rep and came up high. Off center, I stalled until the balance came back then powered through. What a rush! Press went up like a rocket and I went too light on the one rep. Getting better at keeping the bar close. Deadlift murdered me. I strapped up because my grip was getting funky and pulled 2, then on the third rep, the bar came off my shins and that was that. I still locked it out, but the hitching was ooooogly!

That 500lb squat and DL is getting close, brother. Keep at it!

Strong work!!!

Thanks guys. Looking forward to 500 when it comes!

Squat: 435# 1x3

Warmed up for my workout and I could tell I was still crushed by the weights on Tuesday. Everything felt broken so I decided discretion was a better part of valor and cancelled the rest of the workout before I got hurt. Bilateral Elbow pain and general fatigue was the big issue of the day. Will repeat the workout on Sunday if I get a chance. Currently in finals with all the sleep deprivation that entails so that probably didn’t help. Going to grad school in my 40s sucks. Videos to follow.

Squat 435 1x3 (continued from above)

Knee drift with hamstring slack on all reps as demonstrated by the buttwink. Need to reach further back with my butt to maintain tension throughout the lift. Back was stable and in good thoracic extension but I can tell I am tired based on the lack of lumbar extension and the knee drift. Good call to wave off today's lifts because of the slack I am seeing in the reps. Will repeat this session sunday if I have time. Finals this week.

I am also coming to the end of my "recovery programming" where I am doing 3x3 main lift + 4x7 volume work because the pounding is starting to build up pretty hard. I probably have 3-4 weeks max left in me before I need to switch to a two week or three week cycle to dissipate some of the fatigue I am seeing at this point. Of course, it didn't help that I blew myself out of the water with 1 rep PRs followed by 99% effort volume sets, although that was fun as hell to do. I will revise this topic after finals, because my work life is definitely cutting into my recovery.

I think I am starting to get legitimately strong.....

7/29./18

....and then finals hit...3 weeks of wtf grind....

Bench: 245 3x3, 212.5 1x7
    Press: 155 1

Just trying to stay alive...will pick up the pieces on Friday...I guess I’m really testing out this illness recovery programming...

starting strength coach development program
    8/3/18

Squat: 425 3x3, 352.5 4x7
    Bench: 245 3x3, 212.5 4x7

Finally had a full workout today. Stuck to the main lifts due to detraining over the last week and am glad i did. 425 was haaaaard last set but doable. Never at any point felt out of gas or stuck but I could tell i didn't have much left in the tank. Dropped the assistance lifts first day back because last time I was in this situation I put pride ahead of intelligence and ended up with DOMS for 4 days. DOMS to the point where walking down stairs or getting out of bed was real rough. Next week I will start climbing again and we shall see what we shall see. Was a good day.

MOAR!

Page 60 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast