starting strength gym
Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Proof I Love to Strength Train

Default Proof I Love to Strength Train

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Female, 33, weight 137.2, height 5'1"

I started strength training at the end of July 2012. I spent most of August leaning the technique (and am still working on it). I was increasing the weight on my squat way too fast (10 pound increments), which resulted in an injury around August 22nd. I took a break to heal and started training again on 9/12/2012. I train with my husband, he has been my inspiration and support through my training.

I decided to start a log, because I want to be a more active part of the Starting Strength community.

Here are some highlights of what I have accomplished so far:
    PRs at 145 lbs body weight:
    Squat: 165X3X5
    170X2X5 170X4
    Press: 65X3X5
    BPress:92X3X5 (Accomplished at 145 & 140 body weight)
    DL: 190X1x5 - This I actually accomplished at a body weight of 140.
    PC & PS: I'm still working on learning these lifts. The most I've power snached is 48X8X2

At the beginning of 2013 my husband and I decided to do a cutting phase. We could only keep that up for about a month. We decided to get back to business, and keep our diet as clean as possible. As you may imagine with the weight loss, I've had strength loss too. I've hit sticking points before and I have overcome them, and I'm looking to do the same this time around.
    The last week I've experiencing some back pain and decided to take a week off. I will start adding new training logs on Sunday, May 5th.

The key thing is slow and steady consistency. You rushed things and got hurt, then you changed goals, then you changed goals again.

Pick a goal and stick to it, trying to do a bit more or a bit better each workout. One pound or one rep, or your form a lot better, all this is good and progress.

Looking forward to following the progress of a fellow 30-something female! I think most of us who start doing this as adults have some ups and downs in our training "lives", so stick with it!

For me the keys to success have been to demand perfection on technique before adding weight, and going way up on calories as I got to the second half of my 12 week novice linear progression. I needed a LOT of extra food to support my recovery.

I've definitely had my ups and downs! I'm cool with that; it was part of my learning process. Moving forward my goal is to get stronger. I'm going to increase the calories, and focus on making sure I get my 1g per pound of protein (or more).

Thanks to both of you for checking out my log!

5/5/2013

Squat
    BWX4X5
    45X2X5
    65X1X3
    95X1X1
    135X3X5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNml7...ature=youtu.be

Bench
    30X2X5
    45X1X4
    75X1X5
    85X2X5
    75 felt too light on the first set, so I went up 10 pounds.

DL
    65X1X5
    95X1X3
    145X1X1
    175X1X5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h15tB...ature=youtu.be
    My back felt fine the entire time.

I suggest a deeper breath in at the top of each squat, could be a little tighter. Same with the deadlifts, really think "chest up!" Notice how the moment before you pull your lower back is in a normal curve, but as you pull from the floor it drops out a bit. The more you think "chest up!" and the deeper the breath, the tighter everything will be, and the movement stronger.

I suggest keeping the jumps small on bench and presses in particular. It's alright if they're easy, they'll get hard soon enough, believe me. When you're starting out is the time to be practicing the movement, so that by the time it gets heavy you don't have to think of form too much, it's all automatic - and you can concentrate on just grinding the bastard up.

You are right, I need to be tighter. That has been one of my challenges.
    On 4/25 I got 92X3X5 on the bench. I had since taken a week off from training and decided to back off on the weight for all my lifts. 75 on the bench was just too light. 85 felt great, I had to push hard, but kept good form.

Welcome, I look forward to following your log.

-from another 30-something lady lifter =)

Thank you!

Just checking out your log too...

starting strength coach development program
    Welcome Aleli! Nice to see another female novice.

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast