starting strength gym
Page 199 of 215 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,990 of 2150

Thread: Here comes Hercules

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    (also trying to stay away from possible partisan arguments!)
    Yep, me, too!

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    In this little city it's hard to tell who's the liberal who's the conservative. Most of them are just corrupt. The stories I could tell. I don't think they reach the level of your governor but they are bad.
    I'm only liberal on social issues. Libertarian on economic ones. I'm no fan of our Governor Moonbeam! But yes, the corruption in politics is a bigger issue than liberal or conservative. "Drain the swamp" was something I could get behind. Unfortunately, not much draining going on....

Now back to lifting!!

HLM M

Squat: 70 x 5; 120 x 3; 160 x 2; 190 x 1; 205 x 2 x 2 Making sure I get to depth.
    Press: 45 x 7; 65 x 3; 85 x 2; 96 x 2 x 2 Trying to get 1.5 firmly planted in my head.
    Dead: 135 x 3; 225 x 2; 275 x 2; 295 x 1; 305 x 1 Working on hook grip. Last time I did hook through 225. This time hook through 295. My thumbs remained attached.

If I'm supposed to get bored with this I must be doing something wrong. I'm as driven today as I was five years ago.

Whew! Nice squattin', deadliftin', and pretty darned nice pressing!

Bored? No time to be bored. We're trying to get stronger!

Sully has often told us that there is no perfect lift. Or should I say no perfect set. I think he's right. For example even though I'm pretty good on the DL I've discovered that even though I thought lift 304 just before you lift 305 and thought I had it there was still something to learn. Sully says imagine the bar is demanding to raise itself up. It made a difference. It seemed to put "chest up" and "push the bar from the floor", etc. into harmony. The weight did go up more easily.

Then there is the hook grip. I tried it a few months ago but the pain didn't seem worth it. But by lifting 225 with hook grip a week ago then 275 today seemed to make 275 even easier than 225. Perhaps 300 with hook is coming next time and then onward and upward.

Similarly the press is becoming easier as I focus on what seems to be little things. Even the squat is getting easier. Heck, I've been at this 5 years next week and I'm still learning new things.

Ha, its five years for me to, next month, celebration[emoji122]!

Heck, I've been at this 5 years next week and I'm still learning new things.
    Keep an open mind. I've been at this almost 30 years and I'm still learning new things!

HLM M

Squat: 70 x 5; 120 x 6; 160 x 2; 180 x 1; 197.5 x 5 x 3 x 3
    Press: 45 x 5; 65 x 3; 85 x 1; 92.5 x 3 x 3 x 3
    Dead: 135 x 3; 225 x 2; 275 x 1; 300 x 3. I'm still working on hook grip. I did this through 275 and then switch to inverted grip for work set.

Through consultation with a dietician I started a diet to get my diabetes under better control and to lose a little weight while keeping my "gainz" or at least maintenance going. I'm on a 2,000 calorie diet with at least 200 grams of protein. After a week I've gone from 228 to 224 and have kept my blood sugar count between 90 and 150. I expect to get to my 215 goal and hope to keep the sugar count low. The HLM program seems interesting. On Monday I will chase some singles and hopefully get one or more PRs.

Through consultation with a dietician I started a diet to get my diabetes under better control and to lose a little weight while keeping my "gainz" or at least maintenance going. I'm on a 2,000 calorie diet with at least 200 grams of protein. After a week I've gone from 228 to 224 and have kept my blood sugar count between 90 and 150. I expect to get to my 215 goal and hope to keep the sugar count low. The HLM program seems interesting. On Monday I will chase some singles and hopefully get one or more PRs.
    Lets put things in context so you feel really good about your sugar count, Herk.

A buddy of mine was having trouble with his contact and eyeglasses. He went to the eye doc and they started by taking his blood pressure. After a few cuffs didn't seem to be working right, they called in the doc. He took it, stepped back and told them to call 911, but to first to get this man out of his office. Apparently my friend's BP was 290/210. He swore he felt fine. The eye doc feared my buddy could drop dead of a heart attack or stroke at any second.

So he gets a ride to the hospital where they do a workup on him, BP is so high they can't bring it down without killing him. When the bloodwork comes back, his sugar level is...wait for it....800!

Apparently that's kind of high and I no longer worry about mine running between 96 and 101 for the past 40 years!

starting strength coach development program
    Holy Cow!!! I've never heard of a person with that high of a blood sugar count. Mine was 569 when they discovered my diabetes. My blood pressure has never been anywhere near that high. I don't blame the Doctors for being fearful that your buddy might die.

I'm very happy with keeping my weight, blood pressure and sugar count somewhere near normal. Thanks for the context.