Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WaffleLog VeggieBox

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Workout 4
    May 20, 2013 4:45pm

Squat 135lbs 3x5
    Nothing terribly interested to report here. I widened my grip even further and it was helpful in eliminating much of the pain. 120 secs rest between sets.

Bench Press 105lbs 3x5
    My form seemed pretty bad on these today. The bar definitely did not stay level on the way down. 120 secs rest between sets.

Deadlift 195lbs 1x5
    I did some warmup sets on these, which I have not previously been doing. The work set felt pretty heavy, though by my standards I guess it was! No problem completing the reps though.

Nutrition & Recovery
    This was my first weekend on the new diet plan, and compliance was so-so. I got everything in spaced fairly appropriately on Saturday, though everything was later in the day on account of sleeping in a bit. Yesterday was a wreck, however. Church, going to the shooting range, and seeing Star Trek really screwed up my schedule, and Taco Bell really screwed up my nutrition (and my bowels). Still no soreness to speak of. Maybe I'm immune?

yeah I forgot to add that, I did use a really wide grip. Also I never got sore, but I did feel tired and beat up sometimes.

Workout 5
    May 22, 2013 6:00pm

Squat 145lbs 3x5
    Using the wider grip seems to have eliminated most of my pain. But now the bar is starting to feel pretty heavy on my back. Hopefully that won't start causing pain to replace what I got rid of! 120 secs rest between sets.

Press 85lbs 3x5
    I received my 1.25lb plates in the mail yesterday and planned on using them for the first time today since my last set of presses was so tough. But then I decided I was being a pussy and bumped the weight up by 5lbs instead of 2.5lbs. I was able to complete the sets, but it was very difficult. My form suffered a fair bit in the top half of the upward press, and motion slowed a bit. If it was bench press and a bro was spotting me, he definitely would have grabbed the bar to "help." Should I try for 90 next time or 87.5? 150 secs between sets.

Deadlift 210lbs 1x5
    These are starting to feel really heavy. I've been surprised at how relatively easy they've been up to this point, but that is no longer the case. I also noticed that as I approach the top of the lift, the bar feels like it is rolling backwards in my hands towards my body a bit. My grip strength has never been good. Is it possible that is going to be an issue soon? Is it too early to switch to a mixed grip?

Nutrition/Recovery
    My BCAA compliance was a shit show today due to bad scheduling at work. Hopefully that won't be an issue in the future. I finally had my first soreness last night - a spot about the size of a baseball in the center of my chest in my left pec. It was quite uncomfortable every time I woke up in the middle of the night (which I do a fair bit), but it was gone by morning.

Are you purposefully timing your rest between sets and forcing yourself to lift again after a certain interval? You'll definitely want more than 120 seconds' rest between squats, for example. Learn to go by feel, rather than a set time, i.e. wait until your body is 'telling' you you're ready to get under the bar again. That might be anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes between sets.

I am timing my rests, but to enforce a minimum time, not a maximum. It seems to be common for the timer to go off, then I stand in front of the bar and hyperventilate and wonder what the fuck I am doing to myself for a while before I start.

Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    I am timing my rests, but to enforce a minimum time, not a maximum. It seems to be common for the timer to go off, then I stand in front of the bar and hyperventilate and wonder what the fuck I am doing to myself for a while before I start.
    Ah, ok. Well, do take your time, no point in going again too soon and missing the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    Press 85lbs 3x5
    I received my 1.25lb plates in the mail yesterday and planned on using them for the first time today since my last set of presses was so tough. But then I decided I was being a pussy and bumped the weight up by 5lbs instead of 2.5lbs. I was able to complete the sets, but it was very difficult. My form suffered a fair bit in the top half of the upward press, and motion slowed a bit. If it was bench press and a bro was spotting me, he definitely would have grabbed the bar to "help." Should I try for 90 next time or 87.5? 150 secs between sets.
    Got $7 burning a hole in your pocket? Can I vote for 88.75?
    +5 isn't working out too well for me, but I'm reluctant to go +2.5.

Edit: Fastenal links removed. Their stated weights, despite being stated to 4 significant figures, aren't even close to the actual product weight: 0.6329 lbs ended up being 0.375 lbs in reality.
    Last edited by Nate; 05-28-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Got $7 burning a hole in your pocket? Can I vote for 88.75?
    +5 isn't working out too well for me, but I'm reluctant to go +2.5.
    If I do that, the math sure does start to become hard. Yes, I was a math minor in a college and am a former math teacher, but two decimal places is pushing it!
    Last edited by WaffleBox; 05-28-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Ok, forget 88.75! I vote for 88 3/4.

starting strength coach development program
    Aren't you supposed to be on your way to squat camp???

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast