starting strength gym
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: cph's complete novice log

Default cph's complete novice log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just spent 9 hours in the car and am noticing some lumbar pain that worries me since it seems to go down the back of my leg to the knee. Hopefully it clears up. Feels like it might be SI joint related.

11/5

Feelin' good on a Wednesday.

Sq 265x5x3
    BP 165x5x3
    DL 325x5
    Chins 5,4,4,2,2

Light day. Worked on leaning over more and not raising chest. I can see the difference in bar speed on the video.

BP was no problem at all.

DL was also no problem. Video isn't great but I can see my back.

Chins are progressing. Nice to be able to do 5 sets without any singles.

Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    I just spent 9 hours in the car and am noticing some lumbar pain that worries me since it seems to go down the back of my leg to the knee. Hopefully it clears up. Feels like it might be SI joint related.
    Sounds like some mild sciatica. Lacrosse ball to the piriformis can sometimes make it feel better. A chiropractor can do an adjustment as well.

11/19

Sq 285x5x3
    BP 165x5x3

Today was just to stop the bleeding of missed workouts. I guess I will treat this as a squat reset. Didn't have time to pull.

Going to have to seriously rethink late novice programming since I just can't consistently spend 1:45-2:00 in the gym.

I'd jump on something like a TM split or something else that'll give you progress in shorter workouts, starting at this weight (or so). I feel like it's good to eek out LP but not if it's making you miss workouts or the grind is too much. By I'm biased by my own experience.

I did another "tread water" session today. Not even worth logging.

I just read the "advanced novice" part of PPST3, and I think what I am going to do is move to the top set/2 backoff template for my squats and continue pressing 3x5. I am also considering adding an extra day for just presses/deadlift rather than deadlifting and squatting on the same day. Not sure about that yet. This needs to be flexible, so it's obviously not going to be optimal. If I only have time to squat one day, I'll just squat, then save pressing for the next day.

I need to add in conditioning, too.

Final "tread water" session. I think my new schedule should work to get me in and out of the gym faster, so it's time to stop sitting on my ass.

Back in action. Not happy about the layoff.

1/3

Sq 255x5x3
    BP 150x5x3
    DL 275x5

starting strength coach development program
    Got 2nd degree burns on my hand and fingers today. Kitchen-related. I'm an idiot. Doubt I will be able to hold a barbell for a few days without ripping apart blisters. Off to a good re-start here.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920