starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 405 by 39

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by FireCap View Post
    I know I will get mine, just because I am pissed I didn't carry through this spring. I took a break for conditioning (was playing in a charity football game, full pads) and after that it took a bit to get my focus back.
    I have no doubt. Just keep progressing!

5's week
    Milestone (in my brain anyway)

Squat

345 x 1 (joker)
    315 x 10 This one was important, I don't know why, just a mental milestone. 9 was tough and the tenth was damn hard
    280 x 5
    245 x 5

Bench

232 x 1 Joker set
    202 x 7
    177 x 5
    157 x 16
    Progress all around overall pleased, little worried kind tired getting under the bar, little sleep deprived and overindulged over the weekend.

Power cleans and conditioning
    Work up to 177 8 x 3

5 rounds of
    10 ring push ups and 10 pull-ups with 1 minute rest between rounds

You a fireman?

Yes

So I have this goal of squatting 4 plates before 39 (February). Few know of that goal by I needed some accountability and maybe a bit of advice.

History
    Former (reformed) runner
    Former (reformed) crossfitter
    Now - Wanting to be stronger

Current Lifts (lbs) and Stats
    BW - 205, 6'1"
    Squat - 385 for 5 singles during a stint of TM, 315 x 10
    Bench - 245
    Deadlift - 465 x 2, 425 x 5
    Press - 165
    Powerclean - 205

Currently using Karls 5/1 variation on 5/3/1 with a couple personal twists. Two lifting days a week, with conditioning and powercleans on a third day, normally looks like Lift - Condition - Lift. Conditioning is limited to twelve minutes long, prowler, complexes, maybe a crossfit football workout. My TM journey ended with me being under recovered and a little beat up. So I reset, started w/ the 5/1 variation. My lifts have been returning with little slow down so far. I use Joker Sets (a single above my TM in the squat and bench) so I didnt lose that feel of a heavy single that I had during the Texas Method and I added squats 3 x 6 after DL's and Presses so I can squat twice a week.

Roadblocks - 5 kids, 70+ hrs a week at work (I get to workout at work). Work sometimes steals my sleep, so do the kids. And... just had my testosterone levels checked and they came back at 195. Last year they were less than 300 for two checkups but came back for the third to just above 300 so the doc balked at treating.

The plan-
    Continue with the 5/1, same schedule, with the middle day of conditioning limited to light work, prehab/rehab, and resetting the power cleans (just to limit the stress of that day). During the 1 week, Squats will consist of 3-5 singles at the training weight with a Joker single. By the math it brings my training max to 405 before by birthday. Its my goal and I am that damn stubborn to make it.
    OK, answered my own question. Where ya work? I work in the Seattle area.

Similar situation to you; I went in for T level checks a while ago. Came in at 288 ng/dL, doc said I was "fine". Felt like shit (I work at a fairly busy house ~3000 runs/year). Found a second opinion, started the TRT process. Just went on injections 3 weeks ago. Feeling good.

Good luck @ 405. Our numbers are pretty similar. I'll be keeping an eye on your log.

Thanks, yep on an engine in a smallish town in Missouri, bout the same our station runs about 2500 a year. The T Levels are a mystery to me, I am going to take a run at my primary again and if he doesn't want to go further it may be time for a new doc. I d be real interested to know how they go for you.

The T Levels are a mystery to me, I am going to take a run at my primary again and if he doesn't want to go further it may be time for a new doc. I d be real interested to know how they go for you.
    My first round of treatment was Clomid. Did that for several months, got my T back up to ~800, but also saw my E2/Estrogen go through the roof. Did a trial without Clomid, levels plummeted back to the low 300's.

On Cypionate injections+HCG+Anastrazole for 3 weeks now. Self inject @ home. Feeling pretty good, will re-test in a few months. Probably a lifetime thing at this point, I've got another 30 years left on the job.

5+ Deadlifts and Presses

Deadlifts
    435 x5
    375 x 5
    330 x5
    I dont do deadlifts for amrap, just shoot for the 5 and call it good. Probably could have pulled a 6th but I think it would have been a crappy rep. Fairly happy with the set though, I think thats a PR, all from a dead stop. A little delay between rep 4 and 5, had to reset and get tight again, just long enough to stand up and bend back down. I dont care, close enough

Presses

152 x 1 (Joker)
    137 x 6 (should have been 7, but got a little loose on the 7th)
    122 x 5
    107 x 5+ (15)
    Something is working here, 152 went up quick, I was suprised how easy 137 was (until I mentally gave up)

Squats 270 3 x 6 bumped up the weight here

Starting to wonder if I need a little change in deadlift, 430 for 5 was easier than I thought it should have been so I should shut up and not make a change when its working. Other than my programming ADD, everything went well.

starting strength coach development program
    The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Squats
    390 x 2 (Story later)
    340 x 3 doubles
    300 x 3
    250 x 5
    So The Good - Went for a joker of 390, missed the first high, it came up quick so why not try for the double high? Went down, hit depth, and...
    The Bad - I guess I lost focus and the bar moved, began rolling down my back. Tried to catch it and couldnt stop it. So instead of just letting it down on the pins, I dropped it.
    The Ugly - I now own a bent rogue bar. Finished the last of the sets in fits of anger.

Bench, no Jokers in too bigh of a hurry.
    230 3 doubles Pretty sure this was a PR for a double.
    205 x 3
    175 x 10. Just too wore out from anger and a long day.

So bar shopping I go. Anyone with recommendations?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast