• starting strength seminar october 2024
    Vitals

Baseline Lifts (lb)
    Squat: 265
    Bench: 185
    Deadlift: 305
    Press: 115
    Clean: 135
    I'm setting an arbitrary target of 315/225/405/165/185 for the next 2-3 months.

Programming
    Novice LP (current) --> LP w/ Microloading --> Advanced Novice (Wed 'light' day)
    Programming will be modulated after 2 consecutive workouts with missed lifts
    Lifting out of two locations, primarily - condo gym with a shitty rack, and the local Globogym, "Goodlife Fitness".

Initial Notes
    Log timeframe will be 12 weeks. Start date is Monday, Dec 16. Factors impacting progress/recovery are primarily sleep, nutrition, and form. The baseline is after a 10% de-load from the initial program following the SS Seminar Level II form corrections in early December.
    Sleep - should be easy during the holidays, but once work kicks back up I have a hard time falling asleep early. Black-out blinds, melatonin, etc can be used as needed.
    Nutrition - started tracking macros as of Monday Dec 16. Will consult with Jordan in the New Year & get more rigorous. At this point, need to hit 250g+ Protein each day. Supplementing with BCAA, Whey, and Creatine to aid recovery.
    Form - Feeling good with the Squat, but need to confirm for all other lifts via form checks. SS Level II seminar at WFAC helped a ton. Monitor improvement accordingly.

Training/Physical History
    Lifted for exercise since University, but only started learning proper lifting technique in 2012. Replaced left ACL in 2008, no issues since. Occasional lower back pain, probably some spine curvature (scoliosis, maybe) but never checked/diagnosed. Seems to be ok to lift. Multiple crashes without significant injuries (luckily). Long legs (inseam 34") and arms (37"), which makes it a challenge to hit good depth and fucking impossible to buy off-the-rack dress shirts that fit.

Motivational Poster
    Stole the pic from some dude's blog. Credit: http://mahersmobilept.blogspot.ca/
    Text inspired by a quote we should all be familiar with. Brought to you via the awesome Microsoft Paint.
    T-Shirt 1.jpg

Catch-up log for week 1:

Mon, Dec 16
    warmup - 5 mins on stationary cycle, bodyweight squats
    Squat
    45, 45, 135, 185, 225
    265x5x3; first one was easy, second and third I noticed depth was a problem -- need to redo this weight with correct depth.
    Press
    45, 45, 95
    115x5x3; using v2.0 but lacking hip thrust for fear of lumbar overextension, thinking about just doing press v1 since I'm comfortable w/ it
    Deadlift
    275x5x1; applying seminar lessons to the deadlift, felt much better in keeping COM over mid-foot, extending knees then hip. Good start.
    I usually do chins after, but I was so beat up from the flight home from Dallas and 5 hrs sleep from previous night that I was happy to just get the day out of the way.

Wed, Dec 18
    warmup - 5 mins on stationary cycle, bodyweight squats
    Squat
    45, 45, 135, 185, 225
    265x5x3; felt very good, hit proper depth and bar moved fast. Felt vertical on the bar path too. No video
    Bench
    45, 45, 95, 135
    185x5x3; still getting used to the wider grip from the seminar. A bit uncomfortable but not weak. Need to practice it, I will do 5x5 next time for more volume at 190.
    Clean
    45, 95, 115
    135x3x5; focused on mental cues for the two phases - set up & pull, then jump & rack. This was my worst lift at the seminar.
    Cues are:
    - drop hips a touch more than DL due to wider grip but still squeeeeze before the pull
    - not a death-grip, leave some room in the hook, otherwise I end up bending my arms (thanks Dan!)
    - extend knees, then hips, then when you hit the jumping mark focus on keeping triceps extended
    - wait for jump to actually be finished before moving to rack -- don't bend your fucking arms!
    - 'attack' the bar with the shoulders; I kept leaning back during the platform practice @WFAC
    - I find that the bar lands on my right collarbone, medial, near the neck. Need to get those delts in place way better
    Other
    8 chin-ups, maybe could have done 1 more

Fri, Dec 20
    warmup - 6 mins on cycle, foam rolling, groiners, mountain climbers; Will move to agile 8 warm up as I feel tension in the groin and hip flexor area and I don't want to fuck anything up as I'm trying to hit proper depth with my long-ass legs.
    Squat
    45, 45, 135, 185, 225
    270x5x3; It felt as if I was hitting below parallel but after looking at the footage from the last set I'm not convinced. I'll move up 5lbs for next workout, but need to focus on keeping the knees out at the bottom and keeping my spine neutral while still looking down. I had a tendency to crane my neck down at the seminar, which Rip tried to correct. Interestingly, I realized that I've been doing it at work and while just standing around. Like some kind of fucked up tick or something. The idea of 'normal anatomic position' should be thought of in everything you do, not just under a bar. Learnings!
    Press
    45, 45, 95
    120x5x3; tried using v2.0 but just didn't seem to get it. Sure I was hung over, but still.. I'll keep trying it though. Did these sets with v1 form after initial rep was done via with v2
    Deadlift
    295x5x1; felt good.. tried different grips but realizing I really need chalk. Gonna get some this weekend and fuck gym management if they don't like it. I did 2 reps closed overhand, 1 hook (first time ever, welt strange) and then supine left/right alternating for remaining two. I still prefer alternating supine but I could definitely feel the asymmetry. I need to mull this and figure out which way to proceed. I think hook grip with chalk is probably best, just feels weird right now.

Macros for week
    Mon: 187/301/127; Needs to be closer to 250/300/125, but at least I'm counting.
    Tue: 305/300/105; Better
    Wed: 217/287/115; need MOAR protein!
    Thu: 180/352/119; Went boozing, too many beers
    Fri: 342/222/168; Now we're talking! I went 2LOMAD, 1L in the morning and 1 again before bed (metric)

Soundtrack
    Listening to a lot of Action Bronson right now. He's a Queens rapper who is also a gourmet chef, former powerlifter, and loves chiefin' on the spruce. Check it,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdaOHmMlAtE

Mon, Dec 23
    warmup - 5 mins on stationary cycle, agile 8
    Squat
    45, 45, 135, 185, 225
    275x5x3; the massive quantities of food helped a ton. killed it and hit depth comfortably. Agile 8 is a great warm-up!
    http://youtu.be/vKDoMRA9cds
    Bench
    45, 45, 95, 135
    190x5x5; felt good all the way through, will keep doing sets of 5 to get the new grip form down while the weight is still relatively manageable
    Clean
    45, 95, 115
    135x3x5; kept doing pulling with arms before jumping, like an idiot. I was furious with myself, but I'll just need to practice some cleans on DL day with lighter weight to get the form dialed in. very frustrating
    Chins
    4,5,4; tired from cleans
    Last edited by Nermin; 12-24-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Wed, Dec 25
    warmup - 6 mins on cycle, agile 8
    Squat
    45, 45, 135, 185, 225
    280x5x3; Good depth but I noticed after the front quarter-view video that my knees are caving in. Felt pretty strong nonetheless doing this weight, will proceed to 285 PR on Friday after xmas dinner. Will look down at my knees next time yelling KNEEES OUUUUT!
    Squat vids - will link once uploaded.
    Press
    45, 45, 95
    115x5x5; went with a bit of a de-load with more volume to practice v2.0. Finally got tight throughout and only did v1 for reps 4 & 5 on last 2 sets. I think a belt will help big time with this. Jackie from best belts confirmed my order, hopefully I'll have one by mid-Jan.
    Deadlift
    135, 225
    295x5x1; I just realized I fucked up the loading.. idiot. This should have been 305. I'll just do it on Friday because I need to practice form. Did every rep pronate overhand grip so I think this approach will work. It's more deadlifting than SS program says to do, but I will eat a ton and sleep lots. Curious to see how Friday goes.
    Deadlift vid: http://youtu.be/L6qCG-3u7-0

I'm jealous of your potential, so don't squander it. Good luck!

Thanks! I enjoy following the bjj/strength log you have going. Incidentally, my brother is prepping for his first boxing bout in April, do you think I should get him on a strength program or let him continue the 5x/week training he's doing so as not to mess up what his coach is doing and catch him for a strength phase after the fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Nermin View Post
    Thanks! I enjoy following the bjj/strength log you have going. Incidentally, my brother is prepping for his first boxing bout in April, do you think I should get him on a strength program or let him continue the 5x/week training he's doing so as not to mess up what his coach is doing and catch him for a strength phase after the fight?
    Took me a few months to figure out the appropriate programming and what kind of volume of each activity I could actually recover from. At this point, I'd just wait, then get him on a linear progression like the next day. Especially if you can sell it as "You fought great, but imagine if you were just stronger in every way..."

Squats from Wednesday (280lbs), 3/4 front and rear.
    Rear (2of3)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw6ye5kPOgc
    Front (3of3) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U987IYgDAq0

Fri, Dec 27
    I knew today was goin to be a bitch, but I punched through it. Holiday eating is definitely treating me to GAINZZ. I am also getting a bit rotund but that's to be expected. I just hope I don't have to buy all new suits for work. Wool stretches, right?

warmup - 6 mins on elliptical, agile 8
    Squat 45, 45, 135, 205, 245
    285x5x3; I felt good on the first two sets but then things got ugly. Unfortunately no video today, but I'll just stuff my face this weekend and move to 290, since I wasn't in danger of missing any reps. The mobility warmups are really helping me with trusting that I can maintain tension at below parallel, but I need to get over the mental sticking point of cutting my depth on the 5th rep. I'll force myself to 'bury' it on each rep and visualize hitting it. I think I kept my knees out from the bottom, but can't say for sure until I record the workout on Monday.
    Bench 45, 45, 85, 135, 185
    195x5, 195x3, 195x3, 195x3, 195x3. Painnnn in the elbow! Must be from the horrendous power cleans on Wednesday. I'm going to Treadmill Factory in Mississauga this weekend to buy some 10lb and 25lb bumpers and practice my clean with lighter weight. Also need to get Chalk and some fractional plates. Bench will stall soon, I think. It's my weakest lift. After a while it got better but I pushed through. Couldn't hit 5's so instead I grinded out 3's. I will repeat this weight for 5s next Wednesday. Focused on keeping overextended spine and shoulder blades pinched back - that was good.
    Deadlift 135, 225
    305x5x1; Got it easily but left arm supine, due to tendonitis in the elbow. Will continue DL 3x week until it stalls.
    Chins 3, 3, 3; so tired
    Dips 8, 6; more tired

Weight: 215lbs
    Last edited by Nermin; 12-28-2013 at 11:21 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Mon, Dec 30
    Pretty lethargic this morning. I think I should not have ate that leftover taco beef last night, I was up with stomach cramps for half the night. Or I could be getting my first ever period?
    warmup - 5 mins on elliptical, half-assed agile 8
    Squat 45, 45, 135, 205, 245
    290x5, 290x4, 290x5; Second set was a bitch. I should have rested more after the first one. I took 6 min break between second and third and ground out the last rep. Shit is getting heavy for me now, need to start pulsing BCAAs more frequently throughout the day and give 5+ min between squat sets. No video, worked out at lunch during work hours.
    Press 45, 45, 65, 105, 125
    125x5x3; did v2.0 for the first 3 reps then just stretch reflex. I'm still not comfortable with 2.0 where I can use it to lift more than with strict form & stretch reflex off the bottom. After deadlift, this will be my next critique video to post. I'll film Friday's presses for this purpose.
    Deadlift 135, 225, 275
    315x5x1; Fairly easy although I really need chalk. my supine left hand was starting to slip by the 5th rep. The DL will be filmed again on Wednesday for form critique.
    Chins 5, 4, 4; deadlifts got me again. Focused on starting each rep from a dead hang, so it was pretty hard.

Soundtrack
    Almost forgot, the score for the last week was primarily instrumental. I've been listening Godspeed You! Black Emperor's "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to the Heaven, on & off for a couple months now, and it is a complete monster. If you hit the crescendo to one of the epic tracks at the right time, you can PR any lift by 5-10%, guaranteed. Similar effects can be gained by listening to any Behemoth record for at least 15 seconds.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eZ_TgE3x_A
    Last edited by Nermin; 12-30-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast