Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason's SS log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jan 15, 2014

S: 175x3x5
    OP: 85x4,5,4
    PC: practicing racking. can't seem to get the racking position correct; some of the weight goes on my fingers/palm....
    Chins:3,2,2

I am 100% sure that the missed 5th rep on the first set of OPs is due to form; the bar got too far in front of me. Not so sure about the last rep of the last set, though.

Captain obvious here, but I also noticed that the OHP seems to be the one exercise with the least amount of 'fixability' once the bar gets away from you mid-rep. You can grind out a squat/dead, even bench press, but if the bar is off center during a press it becomes very, very hard. Yet sometimes, it feels so light. Form, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Nermin View Post
    Captain obvious here, but I also noticed that the OHP seems to be the one exercise with the least amount of 'fixability' once the bar gets away from you mid-rep. You can grind out a squat/dead, even bench press, but if the bar is off center during a press it becomes very, very hard. Yet sometimes, it feels so light. Form, I guess.
    No joke. I tried grinding it out for what was probably about 5 seconds, realized it wasn't going to happen and that I was just wasting energy that would be better used on subsequent sets, and then bailed.

At MIT for mystery hunt; did some stuff at the z center.

S:185x3x5
    BP: 110x3x5
    DL:235x5

felt good.

Today was pretty shitty.

Got to gym late. Did my squats, which were actually good. Then, I was going to do OP, slated to do 90x3x5. Then on the last warm up at 80, I tweaked my upper back (again!). It felt pretty funny, so I bailed on the work sets. Did a couple sets of chins, and then I left.

S:195x3x5
    OP:80x3 (blah)
    chins:3,2,3

Another fairly shitty day.

S:205x3x5 -- these were very, very tough, and I had a lot of trouble hitting depth. I think about 5 out of the 15 were to decent depth, while the rest were ~ 1" too high. Not quite sure why they were so much tougher than 195.
    BP: 115x3x5 -- these were easy
    DL:245x(4.5-5) -- tough. I forgot my chalk at home, which didn't help. I'm not completely sure that I locked out the last rep, thus the 4.5.
    Chins -- decided to see how much deads impact my chins. turns out, some. got 2.
    Last edited by rjharris; 01-23-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Good day today. And now, I'm reversing the notation to be in line with ... common sense.

S: 205x5x3. Not easy, also not terribly difficult.
    OP: 85x5x3. Practically easy
    Power snatches: since I've had trouble with the racking position for the power clean, I watched Rip's video and tried to do some of these. 45x3x5 (starting from just below the knee).
    chins:4,3,2

After a week and a half in the eastern Sierra and in LA, followed by a couple of days recovering, I'm back to the gym.

Deloaded by 10% due to absence:

S: 185x5x3 - got tired during these for some reason. Probably due to the layoff
    OP:75x5x3 - easy.
    DL: 225x5 - easy.

Feb 11

S: 195x5x3 - these were fairly difficult, much more so than I recall. Factors may have included insufficient deloading from the break or the fact that my sleep really sucked last night. Oh well, we'll see what happens next time.
    BP: 105x5x3 - deload by a little less than 10% on BP. These were easy.
    PS: Did several sets from below the knee with the bar and with 55. I think I have the form decent enough to continue to higher weights
    Chis: 3,2,2

starting strength coach development program
    Haven't updated my (electronic) log in about a month. Bad me. I stopped writing things down here because I was dealing with some squat issues and fucking around with my form. I kind of got it corrected. Will post logs since then when I get home.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast