starting strength gym
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Movicque's 2014 SS log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Oh don't worry, I see all :-)

Haha, well not like I was trying to hide, but you're kind of a celebrity around here, woulda felt like I was name-dropping or something!

OneLife Fitness at 5:30pm = NIGHTMARE, but my workout wasn't so bad after the wait for a squat rack. There was a chick actually squatting in it too, so I just let her do her thing! I killed time by getting a good stretch and doing some front squats with a 50lb bar. I actually like 'em, might do them on the light squat day when I switch to advanced novice.

Worksets
    Squats: 160lbs 3x5 - 1 or 2 grinders in there, but otherwise not bad. Widened my stance a bit, felt more comfortable.
    Press: 60lbs 3x5 - good, thought about doing some triples and singles to increase the volume, but I'll wait until I stall, which unfortunately will be soon.
    Chins: 3sets 5,5,5 - worked out w/ some friends, figured I'd do these w/ them
    Power Cleans: 65lbs 3x3, 75lbs 3x3
    Still trying to figure out form w/ these, timing of the jump isn't right, rack is too slow, really think I'd rather do rows, but that would be NDTP so I'll keep trying.

Macros I'm aiming for are: 125c/180p/50f - 1670cals - I've been consistently within +/- 100cals but way too many carbs and falling short on the protein, only been averaging about 145grams of daily, so obviously would like to get an additional 30grams at least.

Yesterday's Conditioning:
    10 min max chins - 47, 50 was a bit ambitious, I got totally gassed
    10 min max abs (decline sit-ups) - 90, my low back hurt more than anything, still sore from monday perhaps???
    15min HIIT cardio - High 30s/low 1:30 x 7 rounds
    10 mobility work - band pull aparts, shoulder dislocations, hip flexor stuff
    Curls - cause why not?

Today's Worksets: Mediocre workout in general but I guess it's like that sometimes.
    Squat: 165 3x5 - tough but fine, no missed reps, super sore in the hip flexors even though I tried to stretcht the out yesterday.
    Bench: 95 1x5, 2x4 - I wavered on whether to repeat 90 or go up to 95, missed the 5th rep twice, would've hit 90 - 3x5 no problem.
    Deadlift: 225x3, 225x2, HEAVY, back was/still is really sore and I had to take much longer to reset between reps than I wanted to. There was a solid 1-1.5 mins between the 3rd and 4th rep so I don't think it counts as 1 set.

Comments: I'll definitely repeat the Bench at 95lbs, I'll try 3x5 again, but if I miss, I'll probably do 4x4. Considering throwing in a back off set too. This is typically where my Bench has stalled in the past so I'll probably need to try a few things and see what works. I think the back exts on monday, plus all the ab stuff and rowing yesterday really did a number on my low back. I'll pull 225 again next week and see how I feel. I may or may not have 1 more 10lb increase in me. Not a great workout, on paper doesn't look quite as bad as it felt, I'm hoping Saturday is better after some rest tomorrow.

Pretty proud of myself. I had to drive up to Richmond to watch my sister's volleyball tournament this morning so I woke up at 7:30, got to the gym within the hour and got a good work in! I usually sleep until NOON so that's pretty big for me! Just squats and presses since I was short on time.

Today's Worksets
    Squats: 170lbs 3x5 - not too bad actually, form is still a work in progress.
    Press: 65lbs 3x5 - almost missed the 5th rep on the 1st set, but aside from that got everything up, fairly easily really tried to stay tighter in the back and core which seemed to help alot.

Comments: I took some squat video that I'll post shortly, some recurring issues, trouble keeping my knees out, and my hips shoot back and up instead of straight up. I feel like my knees aren't caving necessarily, I'm not sure what it is though. I'm dunno whether I need to bring my stance in some or turn my toes out or what.

http://youtu.be/r7C5ma8BVYU - don't know what set this I videoed all of them though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't do any conditioning yesterday. It's the 1st day I've missed so far but I was exhausted and it would've been a crap workout.

Today's Worksets:
    Squats - 175lbs 3x5
    Bench - 95lbs 2x5, 1x4
    Deadlift - 225x5

Comments:
    Squats felt good, a few really tough reps in there, but stood everything up so we'll keep plugging away. My hips have been sore for a while now, not painful, but usually a thorough warm up is enough to get me through the work sets. Missed the very last rep on the bench today and it was strug city on the 4th rep too. It felt much stronger overall than it did last week but still not quite there to add 5lbs and since I can't microload at the moment, I'll have to try to get creative. Pull was much, much, much improved over last week, probably gonna make 5lb jumps from now on but I may try 235 on Saturday, see how I feel and go from there.

At the risk of repeating myself (as I suspect I'll be saying this again) - you're doing fantastic.

Congrats on the double plate DL!

Missed logging for the past week, didn't have a good workout on Thursday because I forgot my shoes and belt in my car so squatted barefoot, and ended up not working out at all over the weekend.

Back in the gym today and felt pretty good so I figured I'd go with it, not drop the weight at all and see how it went.

Today's Worksets:
    Squats: 185lbs 2x5, 1x1 - more upset that I quit and didn't even try. PR
    Bench: 95lbs 3x5, 105x1 - FINALLY! Tried a single at 115 and failed, BOO.
    Deadlift: 235x5

Comments:
    Effing squats felt mediocre from the jump, had trouble with my balance on the first set, my weight kept getting pitched forward, but I managed to eek out 5 reps on the 1st and 2nd set. Third set, I felt a twinge in my hip which has been sore for a while and I just racked the bar. I feel like everything was off, and then I got into my own head and gave up. I'll try again on Thursday. May be time to go advanced novice. Bench felt good, bummed I missed at 115, but I think I'm ready for 100lbs, will probably try triples at 100lbs on Saturday. DL went up pretty easy, form felt good, had a bit of a cheering squad too when a few ladies were leaving their class and happened by. Another 10lbs on Saturday methinks, hoping to get the squat sorted by then.
    Last edited by M_King; 01-28-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Hey Movique, nice work! Jelly of your squat. I haven't gotten close to a BW squat yet because of form. Looked like your knees may have been caving in a bit on that set you posted? My hips tend to hurt too, and that was my problem.

starting strength coach development program
    Thurs 1/30 Worksets:
    Squats: 185lbs 3x5 - form felt much better on sets 1/2, but sucked really bad on the last set and I tweaked my back a bit.
    Press: 70 3x5 - PR for reps - took freaking forever to get here. I only managed 5x3 last week, and now I'm not sure where to go.
    Hang Cleans: 75lbs 5x3 - really struggling with transitioning from the first pull to the second and I was short on time so just did what I could.
    Chins: Green Band - 12,8 - Purple Band - 3,3 - Huge milestone to move down to the purple band, just a tiny bit closer to my goal for 2014.

Comments:
    Theoretically I should attempt 190 on Saturday, but I'm a bit concerned about my form breaking down. I usually work out on my own on Saturdays so I'll get some video and post it in the technique forum. It might be easily correctable, might need to drop the weight some, we'll see. Really happy with the chins, gonna try more reps with the purple band on my next conditioning day, ie tomorrow.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast