starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: taxcollector Babylover SS training log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Hi taxcollector, looks like you're working hard here!

Re: programming, do what you like. Any program that has squats and deadlifts in it is far better than most people's routines.

Re: squat video, the biggest problem I see is that your back isn't rigid, you are hyperextending in the middle and flexing at the bottom. Looking at yourself in the mirror might be causing this -- pick a spot on the floor 5' in front of you and look at that. Look down, tight abs, knees out to get better depth.

Your squat would be a lot easier to see if you make your video from hip or shoulder level, instead of from the floor.

Re: deadlifts, try wearing sweatpants that cover your legs and/or knee-high socks and really keep the bar against your legs. Might help.

Disclaimer -- I'm not a coach. You can get a real coach's advice by starting a thread in the Staff Coach's Q&A.
    THanks for the advice.
    Here's a bit better angle for the squat (thursday workout):

Squats in this video are a few inches high. You'll have to push knees out really hard at the bottom and force yourself to get below parallel.

This set also shows the back flexing on the way up, I hope looking down and keeping tight abs will fix this.

I'm not sure about the bar position, it might be too high. It should be sitting on your rear deltoids, not on your traps.

Again, I'm not a coach. If you try my advice and it doesn't help, talk to a real coach. They are more likely to come up with the exact right way to describe what you need to do. I'm pretty good at spotting what's wrong, but there's more to coaching than that!

Squatting is tricky. I did three sets of 5 yesterday, only the last set was really good...

Missed a week's worth of training due to illness and college work.

What to do?

Missed a week's worth of training due to illness and college work.

What to do?

If the last session was hard re-do the last session. If your last session felt easy, just progress as normal.

Put the camera inside a shoe to stabilize the camera. Works for me

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    If the last session was hard re-do the last session. If your last session felt easy, just progress as normal.
    You sure about this? I thought this advice was meant for when you miss one session not an entire week.

In less than a week I'm going to Austria as part of a student exchange prgoram... not sure if I should even train until I get there since I already messed up the program.

Dude, #1 priority is to lift consistently. If you can go a month without missing a workout, it will become a habit. After that, less willpower is required.

Or you can do what most people do. "I used to lift but..."

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by taxcollector View Post
    You sure about this? I thought this advice was meant for when you miss one session not an entire week.

In less than a week I'm going to Austria as part of a student exchange prgoram... not sure if I should even train until I get there since I already messed up the program.
    you're not going to detrain significantly in a week. I had a week off sick, and re-did the last session without a problem. Jet lag may be an issue though, so let yourself be guided by the warmup

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123