starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going back to the start...

Default Going back to the start...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I really enjoyed reading over the other logs here, so I thought I would include my own.

My story:
    I've been lifting since July, but unfortunately fell into the trap of under-eating due to a desire to keep low bodyfat (abs!) and followed a silly BB routine. Predictably, lifts did not progress past the novice stage, and that's where I have remained. I'm currently in grad school here in Michigan, and tend to do my workouts first thing in the morning fasted after 10g BCAA.

Current stats:
    Weight: 146 lbs (all future measures will be in English units)
    Height: 5' 11''

Previous bests were all done with atrocious form, but I think I'll include them anyway for reference (I have never done presses or cleans before):
    Squat: 185 x 6
    Bench: 155 x 4
    Deadlift: 280 x 3 (I actually have this on video - really bad form, relieved I didn't hurt myself)

Goals for 2014:
    I'm not sure yet how I feel about going over 200 lbs at the moment, I'll see how I feel once I put on a little weight and how much of a lard-ass I become. My goal is to gain about 30-40 lbs over the next 3-4 months. Hopefully by that time I will be able to squat in the upper-mid 200's.

I plan on doing GOMAD very soon - currently working my way up from a quart a day, and I should be doing a gallon shortly when the weight really starts getting heavy. Calories are currently about 3500 (unfortunately I'm quite obsessive about tracking calories) and I will work my way up to 4000-4500 over the next couple weeks - I had previously eaten 1700-1800 a day so I'm trying to make the change gradual.

I've been reading through SS the past several days, and have finished the first two workouts so far. My form on squats/deads has improved tremendously since reading through Rip's detailed instructions (his deadlift breakdown is by far the simplest and most effective explanation for proper form I have yet found).
    I was a bit unsure how heavy/light to start the weights, so I tried to err a good bit on the light side. As you will see, the weights indeed started out extremely light, but here's hoping they won't stay that way for long!
    I will do deads the first week or two until they pull well ahead of the squats, then transition to the clean/dead alternation.

Workout #1: Saturday, March 8, 2014
    Squat:
    45 x 5 x 2
    65 x 5
    95 x 5 x 3

Bench:
    45 x 5 x 2
    65 x 5
    85 x 5 x 3

Deadlift:
    65 x 5
    85 x 5
    105 x 5

Workout #2: Tuesday, March 11, 2014
    Squat:
    45 x 5 x 2
    65 x 5
    85 x 5
    115 x 5 x 3

Press:
    45 x 5 x 2
    65 x 5 x 3

Deadlift:
    135 x 5 x 2
    155 x 5

Notes: I may have started the deads too light, but I know they'll get heavy soon enough. On the other hand, I now know I definitely did not start the squats too light - doing them with good form to proper depth makes things more difficult! Regarding the press, I was definitely challenged to do them with proper form. I'm gonna have to re-read the chapter in the book and check out the video demonstration on youtube; I found the hip movement somewhat unnatural at first.

Welcome. At 5'11" and 146 you must be on a starvation diet. You don't need to worry about becoming a lard ass for at least 20 years. Your weights are a bit light but keep at the program and you will get strong.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. At 5'11" and 146 you must be on a starvation diet. You don't need to worry about becoming a lard ass for at least 20 years. Your weights are a bit light but keep at the program and you will get strong.
    Amen. I used to be 5' 11" and 150 lbs. No way to go through life.

Quote Originally Posted by 32shutout View Post
    I'm not sure yet how I feel about going over 200 lbs at the moment, I'll see how I feel once I put on a little weight and how much of a lard-ass I become. My goal is to gain about 30-40 lbs over the next 3-4 months. Hopefully by that time I will be able to squat in the upper-mid 200's.

I plan on doing GOMAD very soon - currently working my way up from a quart a day, and I should be doing a gallon shortly when the weight really starts getting heavy. Calories are currently about 3500 (unfortunately I'm quite obsessive about tracking calories) and I will work my way up to 4000-4500 over the next couple weeks - I had previously eaten 1700-1800 a day so I'm trying to make the change gradual.
    Tracking calories is one of the most useful things you can do. It's annoying at first, but once you've done it for recipes you make often, it's not so bad. Good luck!

Good luck! Sounds like you are on the right track. I think you are doing the right thing starting really light. It is difficult to gauge a starting weight without an experienced coach with you.

Just want to second that I think you are taking the right approach. Nothing wrong with tracking your calories, you can gain smart. And it's best starting out with weights you think are too light. You're right, they'll get heavy real soon anyway.
    For another perspective, I am 5' 10" and just over 210. I have a little bit jiggly belly (insulation for the 6-pack in there), but I don't think anyone would call me fat, and I have had female friends tell me not to go below 200. Since beginning starting strength seriously only 2 months ago I have gained about 10lbs, my waist size has decreased at least 1 notch in my belt, and BF% has stayed the same or dropped slightly. I wouldn't worry about becoming fat because it sounds like that is not your default diet anyway. You'll be damn strong after a few months of SS and you're at 190lbs.

Thanks everyone for the comments - this site has been a tremendous resource thus far.

Workout #3: Thursday, March 13, 2014
    Squat:
    45x5x2
    65x5
    115x5
    125x5x3

Bench:
    45x5x2
    65x5
    95x5x3

Deadlift:
    135x5x2
    155x5
    185x5

Notes: If I understood correctly, rip recommends increasing squats by 10 lbs until you miss a rep and then backing up and going with 5 lbs increments indefinitely, so that's what I will aim for. If I'm able to stick with that progression, I'll be doing two plates by the first week of April. Here's hoping.
    I should be pulling 235-245 on the deadlift by next thursday, so I think from then on I'll start working in powercleans. Can't wait to start cleans, they look so boss.

Keep up the 10lbs jumps for as long as you can. However, I do not think you need to fail before you switch to 5lb jumps. Just feel it out and if you have somebody knowledgable watching ask for there advice. 5 pounds jumps still add up to roughly 50lbs a month progress.

Workout #4: Saturday, March 15, 2014
    Squat:
    45x5x2
    95x5
    105x5
    115x5
    135x5x3

Press:
    45x5x2
    65x5
    75x5x3

Deadlift:
    135x5x2
    155x5
    175x5
    205x5

Notes: Tweaked my left front delt a bit on the press. Got to work on form.

starting strength coach development program
    Workout #5: Tuesday, March 18, 2014
    Squat: 145x5x3
    Bench: 115x5x3
    Deadlift: 225x5
    Chins: 6x

Notes: Took a somewhat large jump in the bench to correct for what was probably too low a starting weight. Will go in five pound increments from here. Tried doing some chins to see where I was at - not able to do a lot, but I was using much stricter form that I have previously used.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast