starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm back! SS beat me before, but not this time!

Default I'm back! SS beat me before, but not this time!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Tried the program two years back and bailed as I was too scared I was getting fat - ha, barely gained any weight reading over my old notes.

Am a triathlete/endurance athlete, 38 yo 5'8" 151lbs and calipered at the gym at 8.5% BF, but I'm going with 10% for my basline as it matches my home calipers.

My ribs are grossly visible and I'm certain I have an eating disorder. Used to be a fatty, so now all I worry about is being fat again. I do track cals and estimate my mtc around 2300-2500 over the last 5weeks doing a different program called Allpro. I've droped allpro for now until I get my lifts up as it will take me a life time to get anywhere on that program - at least at my numbers.

I've read Jordan's nutrition info and have Rips book too. I do not plan on getting crazy fat as I know that's not what Rip nor Jordan prescribe, but I do expect a tough battle between progress and weight management. Especially, with my eating issues. Nonetheless, I'm in it to do my best to make it happen.

I'll follow Rips program; A and B and introduce power cleans after a 2-3 weeks i'm guessing, as suggested.

Goals by April 23:
    BW around 156lbs Bf~12% (5.5 lb gain/5.5wks ~1lbs/wk) banking on min 40% muscle gain, so 2.2 lbs) Yes, exactly 2.2lbs! - has just kidding ;0)

Squat 175lbs 3x5 reps
    Bench 130lbs 3x5
    DeadL 200lbs 1x5
    OHP 100 lbs 3x5
    PCleans?

Cals:
    2700 kcals per day but adjust to meet 1lb/wk gains
    First day, today:
    Today felt great! Feels like I did some work finally!

Squat:
    Squat 90 lbs 3x5 reps
    OHP 55 lbs 3x5
    DeadL 115 lbs 1x5

Cals, I eat mostly healthy, i.e. 80-90% of the time. I'm eating around 2550 but will up my cals over this week to:
    2700 cals/day
    Macros (approx)
    P 200 30%
    C 340 50% - this seems too high so I'll prob lower depending on energy
    F 60 20%

Supps:
    2 x 1000 grams fish oil - (i eat a fish 2-3 x week)
    vit D
    Whey

Cardio 3 days:
    Up to today it's been:
    Runs: 1@5.5k, 1@8k
    Spin: Mod-Hard 40 mins

One rest day

I'd be willing to cut back on the runs if I can't keep up.

After end of April I'll re-asses, and if I make my goals, then maybe back to Allpro and get ready for bike season with more strength hopefully and do a fat assessment too.

I've done SS before, so I'm skeptical as I mentally cannot throw caution to the wind and eat like a beast!

I will do my best to power through this and increase my lifts and weight! I know I can do this, I will own it!

I'm always up for comments, suggestions and discussion in general.
    Last edited by iFreedom; 03-18-2014 at 10:18 AM.

What are your strength goals? Do you have a goal weight? At your height and bodyfat, you could be a pretty solid 180-190lb I think. Not sure how much weight you're going to gain on 2700 calories/day. What is your definition of "crazy fat?" Hell, if you don't want to gain weight, don't. You can still get a lot stronger. The friend that got me lifting deadlifted 370lb when he weighed 125lb.

Welcome and best of luck.

Strength goals are short term and noted above, not sure if you missed them or if you mean longer term - just strength in general are long term goals as I'm increadibly weak right now. I don't know what to expect.

I'll monitor 2700 and go from there as i don't want to make drastic jumps unless I can't progress are start feeling to drained. After today's work out though, can't seem to catch up with hunger!

Oh duh. Sorry. I think you can hit those no problem.

Welcome, and good luck!

Regarding the cardio, I would imagine at some point you would want to make sure it is pretty low intensity work, but I'm sure it would be obvious if your unable to recover from workouts.

You seem to be very diligent and willing to make the necessary changes. I've been working through the program from the other end (older guy but overweight), so I hope you follow Jordan's advice and stick with this. I look forward to learning from your experience.

Welcome to the boards, and good luck.

Welcome back. What does the question marks after OHP mean? Do you need coaching?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome back. What does the question marks after OHP mean? Do you need coaching?
    No, what I ment was I didn't have a specific goal. I would guess 100 - 110lb. I'll update my goals on that.

Now powercleans, different deal. I will attempt to learn these on my own but what i've read so far is that it's gonna be tough to get these right. Might seek a coach, but hard to fit it in right now.

@Randall Being diligent is great for history and for knowing what's going on real time, but on the otherhand it can be neurotic!

Good luck with your goals too! I'll have to check out your log if you have one.
    Last edited by iFreedom; 03-18-2014 at 12:15 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 32shutout View Post
    Welcome, and good luck!

Regarding the cardio, I would imagine at some point you would want to make sure it is pretty low intensity work, but I'm sure it would be obvious if your unable to recover from workouts.
    Yeah, I suspect this might happen. Which is hard to accept right now.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast