starting strength gym
Page 13 of 83 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Training and eating like a lion

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I bet you could get more LP on squats if you switched to low bar.

I tried low bar squats when I started SS and hated them. I couldn't get the hang of them so switched to high bar and progress was much better.

Workout A (14th July 2014)

Squat
    3 x 5 x 130kg (286lbs)

Bench Press
    3 x 5 x 85kg (187lbs) [PR]

Chinups
    3 x 5 x BW + 5kg (11lbs)

Bodyweight = 204lbs

Squats always feel heavy when I get to 130kg and over now. Got the job done though and with good depth. Need to focus on keeping my chest up as it dropped on some reps.

I had good tightness on bench today. My form is getting better and happy that I can now progress to 86kg. I think I've underachieved in this lift and it's been my form that's been holding me back. Just need to keep working on it and squeezing the **** out the bar while staying uncomfortably tight :-)

On the last rep of the last set the spotter touched the bar when it was 3/4 of the way up. There was no doubt in my mind I was getting the rep so I'm counting it. **** it.

Never realised you were high bar mate! What didn't you like about low bar? I'm the same though, squatting high bar, I'm just doing it for more carryover to the olympic lifts further down the line though.

I just couldn't get it right so progress in my squat was being affected. I probably could have done with some coaching at the time but I'm happy doing high bar squats anyway.

Workout B (16th July 2014)

Deadlift
    1 x 3+2 x 160kg (352lbs) [PR] grip failed on third rep so took a minute to re-chalk and got the last two reps. Don't know if it counts as a set of five but classing it as a PR anyway...

Press
    2 x 4 x 64kg (141lbs)
    1 x 3 x 64kg (141lbs)

Chinups
    3 x 5 x BW + 5kg (11lbs)

Hanging Leg Raises
    BW x 35
    BW x 18
    BW x 15

Bodyweight = 204lbs

Grip failed me on the third rep of deadlift. Probably didn't use enough chalk. Got the last two reps after re-chalking again. Don't know whether to count it as a set of five. I'll probably attempt the weight again next week to be certain. Annoying.

I alternate between two different gyms and there's definitely a difference between the bar/weights as indicated by my press results. I got 5/5/4 the last time using the other gym and only got 4/4/2 at the gym I used today at the same weight. Again this is annoying. Third time I've failed press at this weight time to deload.
    Last edited by Lion Heart; 07-16-2014 at 04:04 PM.

I know that frustration man. Just keep with it and listen to your body. If you feel up for a PR go for it.

It’s a good frustration though. It means we are determined to lift more. I think I might start eating a bit more to drive my weight up to ~210. I want to run this LP into the ground so there’s no doubt.

Workout A (18th July 2014)

Squat
    3 x 5 x 132.5kg (291lbs)

Bench Press
    2 x 5 x 86kg (189lbs)
    1 x 6 x 86kg (189lbs) [PR]

Chinups
    2 x 5 x BW + 5kg (11lbs)
    1 x 4 x BW + 5kg (11lbs)

Curls
    1 x 10 x 40kg (90lbs)
    1 x 7 x 40kg (90lbs)
    1 x 10 x 37.5kg (85lbs)
    1 x 7 x 37.5kg (85lbs)

Bodyweight = 205lbs

Great session today. I filmed the first set of squats and they were basically ATG! Such a nice feeling being able to do that when I remember I was struggling with this weight a month ago. I usually go just below parallel for really heavy sets near 5RM but if it's a bit easier I sometimes go deeper.

Really starting to get the hang of bench form. I'm starting to get the hang of getting really tight and staying that way for the entire set. Previously I tended to get quite loose half way through the set so wasn't getting the most out of the exercise. That 90kg bench is edging closer!

Some curlz for the burds just because I can :-)

starting strength coach development program
    Good work pal! I was curious about your numbers so checked on the 'exrx strength standards' site a lot of people use and your numbers on all 4 main lifts are comfortably at the intermediate level now, shows how well you've done squeezing everything you can out of LP. Would also make me think you must be just about done with LP now too.

Page 13 of 83 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast