starting strength gym
Page 40 of 83 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Training and eating like a lion

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Strength_Power_Progress View Post
    Getting there dude!

So what attracted to you to TM? I mean, yeah it's a damn simple and effective program provided you have the necessary facilities at your disposal, but maybe a bit too simple, if that's a thing. I've ran a variation of the in the past based on something Hanley put together, V/R/I day, I got quite a bit of weekly LP out of it on the Squat and Deadlift (in particular). Surprisingly, the Deadlift really responded to not much volume or frequency. I literally only Deadlifted 1x a week for no more than 3-4 reps (much like what you are doing, although I split it up into WK1: 1x3, WK2: 2x2, WK3: 3x1) and supplemented with RDL's on VD. I did plateau though on Bench and Press, I had a hard time developing them with the lower frequency and volume. I definitely think you can significantly develop the Deadlift in what you are doing for a while, maybe a supplementary Deadlift with more hamstring focus than rows on VD could be an asset for you?

One of my "dreams" is to design a Bodybuilder friendly split based on TM or auto-regulation concepts and sell it to guys who run Chest/Back/Tris style routines. I think the simplicity of strength training (for the most part) is daunting to a lot of guys who've grown in the gym with lots of lower intensity volume, many exercises and focus on isolating individual muscles rather than working the body as a whole. OTOH, we're pretty simple people, I know I am, anything more than heavy compounds seems to mess my mind up - but then, it's totally necessary to develop weak points at this stage of the game, and different, specific exercises are a must for this.

I used to think there was some arbitrary strength level that one had to reach (and in a certain amount of time too) before you could customise your own training for your individual goals (I blame the internet). It is true in a manner of speaking, but that doesn't mean that everybody can just run LP until 3/4/5, or that everything will develop evenly. I've read a lot of Zatsiorsky and Bompa's works and I've asked Jordan a lot of questions about specifics to what goes through his mind when programming.

I've concluded that rather than just aiming for some strength level (a lot of guys will never bench 3 plates... I'm not sure if I will, but I'll fucking give it a shot!) or putting things on a time frame before you think about specific goals and addressing weak points, that a person should have an understanding of themselves. Specifically, things like:

- Knowing how your recovery works pertaining to specific lifts (case in point: I cannot Squat effectively the day after I Deadlift, but I can Deadlift effectively after I Squat, that's true for many guys, presumably why also that the Squat is traditionally the first lift in a Meet!).

- Realising your sticking points in lifts (be it getting out of the bottom of the Squat, getting the bar off the chest on Bench or locking out, or grip on Deadlift).

I think we must have a reason for everything we do in the weight room, recovery and efficiency of training is so damn precious, mental clarity too (not being able to PR every session or weekly is soul destroying at first once you're done with LP, It knocked me for six, until Jordan explained the idea that strength and PR's tend to come in waves and that it's really just about putting the work in and waiting for them to come). I've totally spoke philosophically for so long.
    Thanks man! Bench and squat, recently, have felt really easy at weights where I would have normally have struggled. To me that is progress. I still can't get over how easy 88kgx5 felt. The increase in pressing volume on TM must be helping.

I picked TM because I've heard a lot of horror stories of early intermediate over complicating programming or/and adding too much fluff work which is counterproductive to actually progressing in the lifts.

I'm actually really enjoying the simplicity and clear cut nature of TM and I plan on running it into the ground like I did with SS. Everything seems to be progressing nicely right now bar deadlifts. The VD squats really test someone's recovery by the time ID comes around. My recovery has been pretty good and I'm usually recovered just by the time Friday comes around although after intensity squats my deadlifts still suffer a bit it seems. Not a big deal providing I'm still driving my squat up which I seem to be doing nicely.

Jordan has recommended I add in a GPP day (8 mins of upper back, shoulders and arms) the day after ID. He actually says it could help active recovery between sessions. I'm still not sure about it but gave it a go my last session. It's just that VD fucks me up in terms of recovery and I'm not entirely sure adding more stuff will help. I did some laterals and dumbbell rows on Friday there so I will see how my recovery goes.

But seriously mate, I can't recommend TM enough. I know I've not been doing it very long but I can feel it working (sounds silly but it's true).
    Last edited by Lion Heart; 05-03-2015 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    Thanks man! Bench and squat, recently, have felt really easy at weights where I would have normally have struggled. To me that is progress. I still can't get over how easy 88kgx5 felt. The increase in pressing volume on TM must be helping.
    Hopefully you'll be 5x5'ing two plates on VD in no time!

I picked TM because I've heard a lot of horror stories of early intermediate over complicating programming or/and adding too much fluff work which is counterproductive to actually progressing in the lifts.
    Yeah, I'm a big one for simplicity too. I think it's important to do the bare minimum and take the simplest route to make progress. Sometimes though, where the mind is willing, the body isn't. For a lot of people, there's either too much squatting, not enough benching, and not enough deadlifting to make TM work the way it's meant to. Add to that getting recovery on point, to be able to add X amount of weight to the bar in a linear fashion each week, it does limit things for some people. Of course, like I mentioned earlier, specific goals and individual situations/weaknesses breed specific programming!

I'm actually really enjoying the simplicity and clear cut nature of TM and I plan on running it into the ground like I did with SS. Everything seems to be progressing nicely right now bar deadlifts. The VD squats really test someone's recovery by the time ID comes around. My recovery has been pretty good and I'm usually recovered just by the time Friday comes around although after intensity squats my deadlifts still suffer a bit it seems. Not a big deal providing I'm still driving my squat up which I seem to be doing nicely.
    It seems to be working really well for you, I'm definitely intrigued, and hope your progress continues, I'd like to see how far you can take it! Everybody in our little corner in the world seems to be doing one-lift-a-day or bro splits!

Jordan has recommended I add in a GPP day (8 mins of upper back, shoulders and arms) the day after ID. He actually says it could help active recovery between sessions. I'm still not sure about it but gave it a go my last session. It's just that VD fucks me up in terms of recovery and I'm not entirely sure adding more stuff will help. I did some laterals and dumbbell rows on Friday there so I will see how my recovery goes.
    Yeah, Jordan has told me to get serious about GPP (I'm fucking terrible at adhering to it!) and doing intervals between regular training sessions as he believes it's fundamental to recovery. The science is certainly there, and I've promised to work on it. I think you can't really go a miss giving it a try and see how it works out.

But seriously mate, I can't recommend TM enough. I know I've not been doing it very long but I can feel it working (sounds silly but it's true).
    Agree, I think it's a great starting point for somebody interested in general strength progression coming off LP... Provided it's what the individual wants to do, and can facilitate it's progression optimally!

Changing the topic, I recall reading in this log that you also log on Bodybuilding.com. I'm pretty disenchanted by that website as a lot of the forum advice I've seen seems to be made up of circlejerking and sometimes bullying (guys with no idea about nutrition being mocked, etc, the same hive mind beliefs of the site being touted). Hell, it's even crossed over to Reddit (I like the r/Weightroom subreddit, where cool lifting stuff is linked and people discuss their meets), where people are being told to do something called "Fierce 5", which upon a bit of research is just some kind of SSLP "light" with BB exercises that a forum member just made up and had people following... How do you find the place?

Texas Method #27

Volume Day

Weights in kg (lbs)
    Blue = PR
    Red = Fail

Squat
    5 x 137.5 (303)
    5 x 137.5 (303)
    5 x 137.5 (303)
    5 x 137.5 (303)
    5 x 137.5 (303)

Press
    4+1 x 60 (132)
    5 x 59.5 (131)
    5 x 59.5 (131)
    5 x 59.5 (131)
    4+1 x 59.5 (131)

"Yates" Rows
    12 x 80 (176)
    12 x 90 (198)
    12 x 80 (176)

Curls
    13 x 40 (88)
    7 x 40 (88)
    8 x 38.5 (85)
    4+2 x 38.5 (85)

Comments
    BW = 82.1kg

Alright session. I think the GPP work affected my presses though. I won't be doing that again. I'll just stick to curls/chins/rows until I'm much stronger.

Not had a great appetite today which is unusual. Looks like all be force feeding to get to my 560g carb target for the day lol.

Maybe an IV drip of Fro-Yo would help with the carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Okada View Post
    Maybe an IV drip of Fro-Yo would help with the carbs?
    Haha aye. I just had some ice cream there after a mammoth plate of oven chips with beef stew. Macros have been met today and I'm officially stuffed!

560g Jesus H! That's pretty daunting

Although saying that, I've got to hit 549g tomorrow and my appetite has been shite these past couple of days (which have been "low" days thankfully.)

Texas Method #28

Recovery Day

Weights in kg (lbs)
    Blue = PR
    Red = Fail

Squat
    2 x 5 x 100 (220)

Bench Press
    3 x 5 x 70 (154)

Chinups
    22 x BW
    10 x BW
    9 x BW

Comments
    BW = 82.5kg

Texas Method #29

Intensity Day

Weights in kg (lbs)
    Blue = PR
    Red = Fail

Squat
    2 x 140 (308)

Press
    2 x 3 x 67 (147)

Deadlift
    Form work

GPP

Hanging leg raises (8 mins)
    loads x BW

Lat pulldown (8 mins)
    loads

Seated dumbbell press (8 mins)
    loads

Comments
    BW = 82.6kg (182lbs)

My upper back has been giving me slight bother the last few days so erred on the side of caution tonight. I think I pulled a muscle in my back but it's not too bad now. I actually feel a lot better since training funny enough.

I tried squatting despite the above and it felt alright so planned to just do 140kgx5 or something to stop me from de training. Back felt a bit iffy on the 140kg set so just racked the bar. Lifting is a lifelong thing so better to be cautious. 140kg felt really easy so at least that's something haha.

PR on the press! Can't remember the last time I actually got a PR in this lift so this is great. It went up really easily as well, especially on the second set. I think the RPE on the second set was 8.5-8 which is pretty good.

Did some form work on the deadlift and to get the blood flowing. Didn't want to push anything.

Got some GPP in of upper back, shoulders and abs. Felt good.

Texas Method #31

Volume Day

Weights in kg (lbs)
    Blue = PR
    Red = Fail

Squat
    5 x 137.5 (303)
    5 x 137.5 (303)
    5 x 137.5 (303)
    5 x 137.5 (303)
    5 x 137.5 (303)

Bench Press
    5 x 80 (176)
    5 x 80 (176)
    5 x 80 (176)
    5 x 80 (176)
    5 x 80 (176)

Pendlay Rows
    9 x 70 (154)
    9 x 70 (154)
    8 x 70 (154)

Curls
    15 x 40 (88)
    9 x 40 (88)
    6 x 40 (88)
    11 x 37.5 (83)

Comments
    BW = 81.9kg. Lol and here was me thinking I was gaining.

Squats felt like ****ey tonight but I got the work done.

Bench was piss easy once I got into the groove. First set of it felt a but tough for some reason.
    Last edited by Lion Heart; 05-11-2015 at 04:00 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Texas Method #33

Recovery Day

Weights in kg (lbs)
    Blue = PR
    Red = Fail

Squat
    2 x 5 x 100 (220)

Press
    3 x 5 x 50 (110)

Chinups
    21 x BW