starting strength gym
Page 42 of 83 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Training and eating like a lion

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    How much does Tsxas method usually add to all your lifts over the course of a year? Just interested to know if anyone has experience of this or knows the usual rate?
    I'll vary greatly dude, like anything in this game. Individuals vary. Hypotehtically though, if everything were ideal and you were able to increase each and every single week for a year (which I don't know of anybody who ever has, or could) and loading 2.5kg each week to Squats and Deads and 2.5kg to Bench and Press fortnightly, you'd end up with +130kg to the lower body lifts in a year and +65kg to the upper body lifts in a year.

Interesting, regarding pulling Sumo, are your legs short in relation to your torso? You're not a short guy right overall? I've got a mate who pulled Sumo exclusively for quite a while, he's a couple inches taller than me (6'3/6'4) but his legs aren't long in proportion to his torso. Seems to be that either shorter guys or guys with a longer torso get the most out of pulling Sumo.

Texas Method #34

Volume Day

Weights in kg (lbs)
    Blue = PR
    Red = Fail

Squat
    5 x 140 (308)
    5 x 140 (308)
    5 x 140 (308)
    5 x 140 (308)
    5 x 140 (308)

Press
    5 x 60 (132)
    5 x 60 (132)
    5 x 60 (132)
    5 x 60 (132)
    5 x 60 (132)

"Yates" Rows
    12 x 90 (176)
    8 x 90 (198)
    12 x 80 (176)

Curls
    15 x 40 (88)
    9 x 40 (88)
    7 x 40 (88)
    9 x 37.5 (83)

Comments
    BW = ? Scale ran out of battery this morning

This was a brilliant session. Achieved everything I set out to achieve tonight.

5x5x140kg squats and 5x5x60kg presses felt pretty damn good. I was worried about volume day all day at work actually but smashed it tonight.

My bodyweight seems to be going up now which is good. Bring on the bulk haha!

One piece of advice for anyone thinking of doing TM: don't add in loads of assistance work as it's a brutal program and will only hinder progress in the main lifts. I added in LTEs when I fest started and they did nothing but affect my presses on intensity day as my triceps were fried.

Squat
    5 x 140 (308)
    5 x 140 (308)
    5 x 140 (308)
    5 x 140 (308)
    5 x 140 (308)

Nice!

For the record, I also had 140kg on the bar today, I made 2x2 and 1x1 at near max effort...FML :P One day my man! Glad you nailed it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Strength_Power_Progress View Post
    Nice!

For the record, I also had 140kg on the bar today, I made 2x2 and 1x1 at near max effort...FML :P One day my man! Glad you nailed it tonight.
    Funny enough I'm more pleased with my 5x5 press but cheers haha!

One step at a time man. I have faith in you. You'll get there!

Texas Method #36

Intensity Day

Weights in kg (lbs)
    * = PR
    Red = Fail

Squat
    0 x 157.5 (346)

Press
    2 x 3 x 68 (150)*

Sumo Deadlift
    1 x 162.5 (358)

1 arm dumbbell row
    3 x 12+ x 40 (88)

Comments
    BW = 83.4kg (183.5lbs)

The only good thing about this session was the press PR. I can really see my bench and press exploding on TM over the course of the next couple of months!

Warm ups felt really heavy on squats so I knew it was going to be a bad day. By the sound of it I'm probably under recovered from volume squats. I got 155kgx2x3 pretty easily last week so I know I can do it on a better day. I now realise why most people don't want to do TM as it's absolutely brutal. I'm in a constant state of fatigue but love it nonetheless.

The deadlift sumo style didn't feel right.

I'm meeting up with Carl Raghaven tomorrow so will hopefully I can get my form levelled out while I'm in London for the day. I've packed my bag and all set for my 8am flight tomorrow from Glasgow.

Texas Method #36

Intensity Day

Weights in kg (lbs)
    * = PR
    Red = Fail

Squat
    0 x 157.5 (346)

Press
    2 x 3 x 68 (150)*

Sumo Deadlift
    1 x 162.5 (358)

1 arm dumbbell row
    3 x 12+ x 40 (88)

Comments
    BW = 83.4kg (183.5lbs)

The only good thing about this session was the press PR. I can really see my bench and press exploding on TM over the course of the next couple of months!

Warm ups felt really heavy on squats so I knew it was going to be a bad day. By the sound of it I'm probably under recovered from volume squats. I got 155kgx2x3 pretty easily last week so I know I can do it on a better day. I now realise why most people don't want to do TM as it's absolutely brutal. I'm in a constant state of fatigue but love it nonetheless.

The deadlift sumo style didn't feel right.

I'm meeting up with Carl Raghaven tomorrow so will hopefully I can get my form levelled out while I'm in London for the day. I've packed my bag and all set for my 8am flight tomorrow from Glasgow.

What happened to recovery day eh?!!

You may not have got the Squat or Deadlift results you wanted, but damn dude, you are killing it with the Press! I hope that all goes cool with Carl tomorrow, we'll be expecting a run down!

Quote Originally Posted by Strength_Power_Progress View Post
    What happened to recovery day eh?!!

You may not have got the Squat or Deadlift results you wanted, but damn dude, you are killing it with the Press! I hope that all goes cool with Carl tomorrow, we'll be expecting a run down!
    I did recovery day I just didn't bother posting it.

Aye press and bench are going well. Squat is going well actually but just not this ID. I seem to be recovered some weeks and others not so much when it comes to squatting.

Don't worry I'll try and take videos and pics for everyone and provide a detailed analysis of the day!

You may want to try adjusting the the squat volume day percentage a little lower. You probably already read these but nonetheless, Barbell Medicine | 12 Ways To Skin The Texas Method and 5 Ways to 5x5 - Baker Strength Coaching

London is one of the dodgiest places I've ever been to. The Artful Dodger is, in fact, real.

starting strength coach development program
    London is one of the dodgiest places I've ever been to. The Artful Dodger is, in fact, real.
    Have you not been before?

I've spent time in London, few tips:

- Use the tube to travel everywhere, don't bother with buses.
    - If you can get to Covent Garden on a Saturday, be sure to, it'll be mobbed, but absolutely worth it!
    - There is a McDonald's literally everywhere you look.
    - Tisbury Court in Soho is a "fun" place to visit

Page 42 of 83 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast