starting strength gym
Page 43 of 83 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Training and eating like a lion

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coaching session with Carl Raghaven (Evolving Gym @ Kikburn, London)

Low bar squat 110kgx3x5
    Press 2.0 60x5, 70x2, 65x4, 55x5 - better technique and I would have got the fives easy
    Bench 80x5, 90x4, 90x3
    Hang power cleans 70kg 3x3
    Rack pulls 100kgx3x5
    Good morning barx3x10
    Back extensions 3x10

Low bar Squat key points:-
    -Make sure feet even and toes pointed out more than you would like
    -make sure not twisting torso while squatting (Carl said I seem to be twisted to one side and my setup is actually not square on).
    -more HIP DRAAVE and avoid leading out of bottom with chest. This is something that's engrained in my movement pattern as I've been doing shit loads of high bars.
    -make sure the knees are pushed out A LOT! This is very important for getting good depth.
    I think that's the main things I need to work on..

Press 2.0 key points:-
    -be more aggressive with shoving the hips back before pressing
    -get under the bar more
    -try to shrug the bar up as high as it can go at the top.

Deadlift key points:
    -When lowering the bar I'm squatting it down when in fact I should be leaning forward more and sticking my arse out while descending.
    -I need to really try hard to keep my back locked in extension during the eccentric phase.

Bench key points:-
    -REVELATION: I've been benching with a grip that is too wide. Carl said my current grip leaves out the triceps and utilises mostly all pec. I should actually have a grip that is a thumbs distance from the centre knurl.
    -when pressing the weight off the chest I need to really think about pushing the bar towards the rack while driving it up as that will take it to normal anatomical position ready for the next rep.

Carl wants me to add in good mornings and back extensions to TM. He also wants to replace deadlifts with rack pulls on intensity day until I can get the full deadlift form nailed. That way I can still keep my strength up in the lower back with rack pull and go up in weight safely. Carl said my rack pull form is good so he is happy for me to do this.

The idea behind the good morning is that the GM movement will help me learn the eccentric movement pattern for the deadlift as they are similar in that sense. The back extensions are there to strengthen my lower back as that may be a limiting factor. Honestly, the back extensions were taxing and they were just bodyweight so I definitely could get a lot stronger on them!

Carl said I should start with 100kgx5x5 on Monday for volume day low bar squats and progress every week. I should be able to move up pretty quickly doing this. That would give me an intensity day of 110kgx5 on Friday.

Amended TM program Carl has recommended:

Volume day
    Squat 5x5
    Bench/press 5x5
    Rows 3x8-13
    Good mornings 3x8-12

Recovery day
    2x5 squat
    3x5 bench/press
    Chins 3xmax
    Back extensions 3x10

Intensity day
    Squat new pr
    Bench/press new pr
    Rack pull new pr
    Last edited by Lion Heart; 05-24-2015 at 06:23 AM.

^ Nice! Sounds like a really productive coaching session. Carl seems to really know what he's talking about.

I definitely think (having read endlessly about the Deadlift, since it's my love affair in lifting) that Rack Pulls and Good Mornings will serve you well and readjust your mechanics back to Deadlifting in time. We all have an issue with the lift, it's not uncommon. For me, my speed past the knees is shite.

So you definitely going to do the amended TM?

Quote Originally Posted by Strength_Power_Progress View Post
    ^ Nice! Sounds like a really productive coaching session. Carl seems to really know what he's talking about.

I definitely think (having read endlessly about the Deadlift, since it's my love affair in lifting) that Rack Pulls and Good Mornings will serve you well and readjust your mechanics back to Deadlifting in time. We all have an issue with the lift, it's not uncommon. For me, my speed past the knees is shite.

So you definitely going to do the amended TM?
    Deadlifting has always confused me. There's so much conflict of opinion that surrounds the lift when you walk into the gym and people tell me different things when I'm trying hard to follow the SS method of deadlifting. Most people seem to think you should be squatting the weight up which is wrong.

It's not really much different to what I was doing before. The only difference is GMs and back extensions have been added along with hang power cleans. All the movements will be pretty light anyway so won't affect my main lifts. So yeah, I'm going to implement the changes discussed from Monday.

Carl is such a nice guy I definitely recommend anyone to organise a coaching session with him if you can. It's always good to brush up on form and et an expert opinion. It was funny talking about Rip and the experience Carl had of meeting him face to face. Apparently Jordan Feigenbaum has actually convinced Rip to start taking BCAAs. He still won't do his curls though lol.

I also made the suggestion that Rip should come to Scotland (he likes whiskey anyway) and hold a seminar/camp here. I think there would be good demand for it.
    Last edited by Lion Heart; 05-24-2015 at 07:09 AM.

My dream would be a Scotland SS seminar. I mean, we (I'm not ethnically Scottish, but born and raised here) invented one of the most well known Strength sports in the world (Highland Games).

If Edinburgh can throw money at Klokov to turn up and show everyone in a Crossfit gym up, surely they can manage Rip and co to come and teach some real wisdom?

Texas Method #37

Volume Day

Weights in kg (lbs)
    Blue = PR
    Red = Fail

Low Bar Squat
    5 x 130 (286)
    5 x 130 (286)
    5 x 130 (286)
    5 x 130 (286)
    5 x 130 (286)

Bench Press
    5 x 81 (178)
    5 x 81 (178)
    5 x 81 (178)
    5 x 81 (178)
    5 x 81 (178)

Yates Rows
    12 x 80 (176)
    10 x 90 (198)
    10 x 85 (187)

Good Mornings
    3 x 12 x 20 (44)

Curls
    15 x 40 (88)
    7 x 42.5 (94)
    12 x 40 (88)
    7 x 40 (88)

Comments
    BW = 82.8kg

Going light with the low bar squats as I'm still getting used to the form. These felt alright but I think I'm still making it hard for myself as not using enough hip drive. Still need these bands for warm ups to help push my knees out more. What I can say is that low bar squats feel much better than high bar. It's a more natural movement for me. I'm hoping to increase weight every week so it shouldn't take too long to get back to where I was when I was using high bar. It's also so good to just look down and not worry about mirrors etc putting you off. I can't believe I relied on mirrors for so long.

Bench press was pretty good. Need to watch the bounce isn't excessive off my chest though. More controlled next time. Brought my grip in as per Carls recommendation and it felt fine.

Rows and curls for the girls with good mornings to emphasise movement pattern for the eccentric part of the deadlift.

If you've been putting up three plates for sets and reps with high bar, I don't dare speculate what you'll be capable of switching to low bar! May the gains continue!

If you've been putting up three plates for sets and reps with high bar, I don't dare speculate what you'll be capable of switching to low bar! May the gains continue!
    Aye that's what a guy said in the gym today. I'll go for 145kgx5 this intensity day just to easy into it. I'm still trying to get used to low bar squats but I think it should shoot up once I get comfortable with them. Expecting some good gainzZz with them! Need to get that hip DRAAVE going strong.

Bloody hell 605g of carbs is a lot to eat. Damn you Jordan.

Oh, I witnessed some guy low bar squatting in the rack next to me. I was impressed with his form and was like "I don't see many people low bar squatting" and he was like "what's a low bar squat?". Lol. He didn't know he was low bar squatting and it was textbook form. Bemused!
    Last edited by Lion Heart; 05-25-2015 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    Bloody hell 605g of carbs is a lot to eat. Damn you Jordan.
    That's it...I'm never running TM under Jordan's nutritional coaching... I cannot even fathom eating 605g of Carbs as part of a diet that includes meat, vegetables and complex starches! I demand you post a food diary of exactly how you will go about doing this!

That's it...I'm never running TM under Jordan's nutritional coaching... I cannot even fathom eating 605g of Carbs as part of a diet that includes meat, vegetables and complex starches! I demand you post a food diary of exactly how you will go about doing this!
    Yeah it's hard going but effective so I'm going to stick it out. Really want some gainzzz.

Only 20g of carbs left to go (and 1g of fat). Not too bad. I'll post what I are today in a wee bit. It isn't very exciting so don't get your hopes up lol.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    Yeah it's hard going but effective so I'm going to stick it out. Really want some gainzzz.

Only 20g of carbs left to go (and 1g of fat). Not too bad. I'll post what I are today in a wee bit. It isn't very exciting so don't get your hopes up lol.
    I struggled just to get 247/329/108 today. I've literally been pounding oatmeal, eggs, steak mince, yoghurt and wholewheat pasta today like it's my job..

Page 43 of 83 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast