BW x 14
    BW x 8
    BW x 7

Hanging Leg Raises
    BW x 21
    BW x 15
    BW x 11

Bodyweight = 195lbs

Going to stop doing dips as I think it's affecting my progress in the pressing movements?

Deadlift just felt heavy on the first rep and didn't have anything else in the tank.

What's your grip like on bench? Have you ever tinkered with it? Compared to your press, I'm sure you've got more in ya'.

In my experience I can tell if I need to dial back the pressing AW (dips) by whether I feel fatigued or not. I know that sounds obvious, but what I mean is that I usually can specifically feel if my triceps are tired, for example, whereas my legs might feel fresh but definitely not be, from mowing the lawn, or walking more than I realized the day before, etc.

I place my pinkie fingers about an inch inside the rings? It just feels like a very slow lift to progress for me. Just don't get it, seems like everyone here is benching 200lbs+ and I'm benching much less than that. Frustrating.

Yeah I know what you mean but I did hear Mark Rippetoe saying if your bench is stalling then dips should be the first thing to omit from the program.
    Last edited by Lion Heart; 05-15-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Workout B (16th May 2014)

Squat
    3 x 5 x 117.5kg (259lbs)

Standing Press
    3 x 5 x 61.25kg (135lbs) [PR]

Chinups
    BW x 18
    BW x 8
    BW x 4 [PR]

Barbell Curls
    1 x 9 x 40kg (90lbs)
    1 x 7 x 40kg (90lbs)
    2 x 8 x 37.5kg (85lbs)

Bodyweight = 196lbs

Deloaded the squat. Nice and easyish. Hopefully final last push to a three plate squat!

I had to workout early morning before work as I'm busy with girlfriend commitments tonight. I had a shake with oats, whey, semi-skimmed milk and a banana before I hit the gym which helped me through the session.

Delighted with the press PR. It felt a lot easier than the last two times I attempted it. It's really important to get under that damn bar as soon as it leaves you forehead! Now, looking at how much I press shouldn't I be benching a lot more?

Workout A (19th May 2014)

Squat
    3 x 5 x 120kg (265lbs)

Bench Press
    3 x 4 x 82.5kg (182lbs)

Chinups
    BW x 18
    BW x 7
    BW x 4

Hanging Leg Raises
    BW x 20
    BW x 15
    BW x 10

Bodyweight = 194lbs

Squat felt so light and easy. Nice and deep too. I didn't have to take much rest in between sets. I struggled when I got up to 130kg but it's only 10kg more than this so I can't wait to blast through it when I get there!

I'm really frustrated with my bench. I'll need to deload as I've failed three consecutive times. Reaching my next milestone of 90kg seems so far away now.

My body weight has remained the same for the last two weeks. Looks like I’ll need to up the calories to 5000 as I’ve been consuming 4800 the last couple of months and I’ve finally reached a plateau with weight gain. Sick of eating but obsessed with adding weight to the bar now so needs must.

Smile

When you deload the bench maybe try building back up with pause reps (ie competition rules). Could just be bro science but a powerlifter pal of mine says it helped him immensely. Also, and maybe this sound silly, but it'll give you something to leave behind when it gets tough again. Kind of like de loading a squat, going beltless, and then putting the belt back on when it gets back up to the plateau weight for an extra push.
    Last edited by foothills_g; 05-21-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Tried to remove accidental smiley face, then decided to leave it

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    I place my pinkie fingers about an inch inside the rings? It just feels like a very slow lift to progress for me. Just don't get it, seems like everyone here is benching 200lbs+ and I'm benching much less than that. Frustrating.

Yeah I know what you mean but I did hear Mark Rippetoe saying if your bench is stalling then dips should be the first thing to omit from the program.
    I hear you on slow bench progress. The grip for the bench should be approximately one hand width wider than the grip for your press. Try that little trick and see where you end up. In any event, your grip should be whatever allows your elbows and wrists to be straight up and down at the bottom of the movement.

Workout B (21th May 2014)

Squat (Light Day)
    2 x 5 x 100kg (220lbs)

Standing Press
    1 x 4 x 62.5kg (138lbs)
    2 x 3 x 62.5kg (138lbs) [PR]

Deadlift
    1 x 2 x 155kg (345lbs) [PR]

Hanging Leg Raises
    BW x 25
    BW x 15
    BW x 15

Bodyweight = 195lbs

I didn't get all reps for press so I'm a bit annoyed about that.

I pussyed out on the deadlift again. I should have got more reps. I feel as though I ran out of steam after the second rep but I definately had the strength to get more. 5 reps next time or I won't be happy at all!
    Last edited by Lion Heart; 05-21-2014 at 03:40 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by foothills_g View Post
    When you deload the bench maybe try building back up with pause reps (ie competition rules). Could just be bro science but a powerlifter pal of mine says it helped him immensely. Also, and maybe this sound silly, but it'll give you something to leave behind when it gets tough again. Kind of like de loading a squat, going beltless, and then putting the belt back on when it gets back up to the plateau weight for an extra push.
    I might try this tomorrow and see if it helps. So far I've reset twice on bench so hopefully I can blast through 82.5kg and get closer to my goal of 90kg this time. I find it funny how I'm pressing 62.5kg for 4/3/3 and can't bench 90kg yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutNick View Post
    I hear you on slow bench progress. The grip for the bench should be approximately one hand width wider than the grip for your press. Try that little trick and see where you end up. In any event, your grip should be whatever allows your elbows and wrists to be straight up and down at the bottom of the movement.
    A powerlifter friend of mine actually helped fix my grip width on the bench and it's seemed a lot better since then (I was gripping far too wide).
    Last edited by Lion Heart; 05-22-2014 at 07:04 AM.

Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast