starting strength gym
Page 10 of 83 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Training and eating like a lion

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was just about to recommend you try pausing. Idk how you would incorporate this. Maybe pause the last reps if you can manage it? I just deloaded and did all my reps paused.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you feel paused reps has helped when you went back to doing touch n go reps?

I could probably do some back off sets paused after my working sets.
    Last edited by Lion Heart; 06-27-2014 at 03:57 AM.

Usually a lockout problem is a tricep issue. That's why powerlifters use boards. I assume pauses help off the chest. I couldn't do a full set with 215 paused before when my work sets were 235, but I can now pause 225 for a whole set. I have no idea if it will carry over to my normal reps, but I feel it has. I realized after trying the pause I had no strength from a dead stop. You might be bouncing off your chest without realizing it, which could possibly be sapping strength gains.

You could also try just tapping your chest lightly. Removes a lot of the bounce.

I can be guilty of bouncing the bar off my chest. My spotter picked up on it last time. My tightness isn't very good either so will need to work on that. I think I just get frustrated sometimes as I see people on SS benching 200+ for their worksets forgetting that they have probably been benching long before they started the program. Americans seem to do a lot of benching in their high school years which seem to help.

I'll definitely try paused reps after my working set though.
    Last edited by Lion Heart; 06-27-2014 at 04:35 AM.

While I don't feel that my bench is out of line with my other lifts I have been worried recently that it's too reliant on momentum. I'm tempted to try some paused reps as well and see just how much weaker I am.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your three plate squat session. Good luck!

Workout A (27th June 2014)

Squat
    3 x 5 x 140kg (308lbs) [PR]

OHP
    3 x 5 x 62.5kg (137.5lbs) [PR]

Chinups
    BW x 20
    BW x 11
    BW x 4

Curls
    2 x 8 x 40kg (90lbs)
    1 x 9 x 37.5kg (85lbs)
    1 x 8 x 37.5kg (85lbs)

Bodyweight = 203lbs

Worked out in a new gym today so had to get used to the olympic bar they had which is a lot thicker than what I normally use.

Three plate squat PR!! I'm really pleased about not only squatting three plates but getting 3x5. The first two sets were hard but not impossible. The last set was a bit of a grind and the last rep was kind of good morningy. Oh well.

The OHP felt surprisingly easy for the first two sets. The last rep of the last set was a bit of a grind but was always getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    I can be guilty of bouncing the bar off my chest. My spotter picked up on it last time. My tightness isn't very good either so will need to work on that. I think I just get frustrated sometimes as I see people on SS benching 200+ for their worksets forgetting that they have probably been benching long before they started the program. Americans seem to do a lot of benching in their high school years which seem to help.

I'll definitely try paused reps after my working set though.
    Yeah, they'll definitely help you learn to stay tight too.

I will do some paused bench back off sets tonight after my worksets.

On another note I am going to be eating and chugging milk like a maniac today. Poor volume/quality of food over the weekend.

Hi Lion

With the bench - SQUEEZE THE BAR HARD.

That alone will tighten everything up. Makes a big difference if your not already doing that consciously.

cheers
    Damo

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Aussie. I'll try that tonight and see if it helps.

Page 10 of 83 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast