starting strength gym
Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: HandPlaneSteve's SS Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony King View Post
    Looks like you break with the knees first, try to get the hips and knees to break at the same time. I used to have this problem and used the "hips first" cue to fix it. I'll still mess it up sometimes, but I get much better hamstring tension when I don't.

The camera is pretty low and it makes it hard to judge depth. A couple reps look borderline, but it could be the angle. Try to set the camera up hip height if you can.
    Sonnofagun, a few are indeed high. Nuts. The sets weren't so hard that I couldn't have gotten another inch. I do still find it hard to even move into a below parallel position with no weight at all. The answer will probably be to widen the knees and point toes out more. I still haven't corrected the leg favoring thing yet. I've noticed the hips will pivot slightly counterclockwise (from above)/to the right. I've been doing a piriformis stretch and my left is MUCH tighter than my right. Maybe this is where it's manifesting itself (or vice versa?).

Thanks for seeing the knees breaking first. I thought I was always OK in this area so just never looked for it on video.

I appreciate the input.

There's lots of advice on the forums to get the knees in place early, at least by the time you're halfway down in the squat. For me personally this turned into breaking with my knees first because I was anxious to get the knees in position. I think I've most corrected this, but I still have to think about it each rep.

7/27/14:

Chins, BW+12.5: 8,7,6

7/28/14

Squats: 300x5x3 Starting to get really hard. Easy RPE 9.5 on last reps. Did notice how a poorly executed chair sit devolves into good-morninging and a slight back strain. Gotta keep bending the hips, keeping things tight, and bouncing out of the bottom
    OHP: 120(116 real weight)x5x3 Started with shoulders more externally rotated, elbows forward, bar more under my chin. Made huge difference. Still hard, but now I can make progress. Also widened grip. Need to make 2.0 lb micro weights.
    DL: 405x4 4th rep wasn't great, felt upper back unlock.

So this is the 2nd time couldn't hit 405x5... Thinking the big DL increase streak happened during squat deload. Now squats are consistently going up, and legs are just toast by DL time. I read an article a while back titled, "the best routine is the one you're not doing". Like, everyone has a tendency to change or make more perfect for them seemingly. I was tempted to do this too, by putting DL off to tomorrow when I'm a little fresher. However, this was resisted. Maybe now DL and squat will get a little closer, and they can drive each other up, up, up, up, while still doing the 3 days a week routine, as per DTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony King View Post
    There's lots of advice on the forums to get the knees in place early, at least by the time you're halfway down in the squat. For me personally this turned into breaking with my knees first because I was anxious to get the knees in position. I think I've most corrected this, but I still have to think about it each rep.
    Wow, what a difference that makes. That might add 5-10 lbs easy (when remembered). Thanks!

Also did some hip stretches to limber up the left hip. I think it helped, or at least it felt like it did.

7/30/14

LSQT: 240x5x3
    Bench: 205x5x3 Still deloaded, found a comfy shoulder position, more below
    Pullups (BW): 7,7.5,7.5 Improvement
    Back Ext (BW+10): 12, 12, 12 bumped up by two, thinking of increasing the weight to strengthen thoracic spinal erectors for deads

Past left shoulder injury (broken clavicle, boogered up muscle of some type) ended up with shoulder healing about 3/4 - 1" lower than the right. Previous bench form included a hard lat contraction, further lowering both shoulders. This was wrong. Tonight, I actually RAISED my left shoulder, with no resultant pain/pinches. That's exciting. Now the question is: can I train or otherwise modify the position of the shoulder to where it's supposed to be?

Quote Originally Posted by HandPlaneSteve View Post
    Previous bench form included a hard lat contraction, further lowering both shoulders. This was wrong. Tonight, I actually RAISED my left shoulder, with no resultant pain/pinches. That's exciting. Now the question is: can I train or otherwise modify the position of the shoulder to where it's supposed to be?
    So you're moving the shoulder up towards your head? Can you still pinch your shoulder blades and get your upper back tight this way?

Yes, moving it up towards my head. I can still pinch my scapulas together, they actually lay flat on the bench now, like I'm actually pressing against them flat vs angled up. I'll have my wife take a top down picture of the old way and the new way. I'll bet the new way makes them parallel, it just feels different because it has never been in the right spot.

8/2/14

Squat: 305x5,0,X First set, all high. Timing to push was off... second set, got stuck too low and couldn't push out.
    OHP: 122.5x4,4,3 deloaded? seriously? Again, timing was off.
    PC: 45x10, 65x10, 95x10, 115x5x2+ Relearning this. Actually doing the jump maneuver. Previously, I would land with near straight/locked legs.

Generally poor day in the dungeon. Yesterday had an unplanned family visit, so postponed session until today. Was actually really nice not having super sore quads for a change, but something is off with diet or <something else>. On further examination, I don't think my glutes have ever been really sore, so are they really working? At this point in the game, my outer (lateral) quad muscles are numb, and the quad near the knees are sore ALL THE TIME. Really annoying. Couch stretch makes outside of legs (not sure if ITB or quad) tingle and feel scratchy. Weird.

Narrowed squat stance 1.5", depth before work sets was good and easy, worksets... just off. Will repeat weight.
    Last edited by HandPlaneSteve; 08-02-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HandPlaneSteve View Post
    On further examination, I don't think my glutes have ever been really sore, so are they really working?
    I don't think the glutes do enough eccentric work on the squat to get sore. Might ask around. Mine are never sore.

8/4/14

Squat: 305x5,5,0,1,3 3rd set form just crumbled and got stuck. 4th: got off balance forward, so racked it to regroup. 5th: 3 solid reps, but that was it. Leg strength wasn't the problem. Will get 305 on Friday!
    Bench: 210x5x3 Same good shoulder position. Form is encouraging. Slightly wider grip to verticalize forearms.
    Chins, BW: 10, 10, 9
    Back Ext, BW+12.5: 12,14,12

starting strength coach development program
    8/6/14

LSQT: 245x5x3
    OHP: 122.5(118.5)x5x3 1st set surprisingly hard. "Aim for the nose, GET UNDER THE BAR" 2nd and 3rd went well. Def thinking last progression was XhipX knee popped up.
    DL: 405x5 PR PR PR! All clean, and didn't have that 1st rep grind.

AK, I have to thank you for noticing the knees breaking first. When I break both simultaneously, or hips slightly first, my knees and hips work like they're supposed to, and everything stretches into and out of the bottom correctly. Thanks again.
    Last edited by HandPlaneSteve; 08-06-2014 at 08:00 PM. Reason: knee popped, not hip pop

Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast