starting strength gym
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: SarahBeth Lifts Like A Girl (Log)

Default SarahBeth Lifts Like A Girl (Log)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I should also mention that I've had this pain before, on both sides when I was pregnant. It got so bad that at 26 weeks I went from modifying Crossfit wods to barely being able to walk for the rest of my pregnancy. This pain just seems to be a lot more severe. I don't exactly have "birthing hips," so my body wasn't really cut out for squeezing a pretty big baby through my pelvis. I think at least some of the problem is still not being 100% recovered from childbirth and pregnancy. Damn kids!!

After doing some reading in PPST3 over the weekend, it's pretty clear that I'm ready for intermediate programming. I gave LP a good six months and can no longer recover for each workout, so it's time to switch. I'll be working from the TM program listed in the Women's Special Populations section, minus the power cleans and snatches (they hurt my gimp-ass wrist too much, wah!!). Instead, I'll work in the assistance stuff that I've been doing for a while. I'm looking forward to getting back to squatting and pulling after a 2-week break. In the meantime, the upper-body extravaganza continues:
    Bench: 45x5, 65x5, 85x3, 100x3x5 PR
    -Yay! No more double digits!
    CGBP: 75x8x5
    GHD Sit-ups +15lbs: 4x10
    GHD back ext +8lbs: 4x10
    Pull-ups: 5
    PU Negs (with a tiny kip to get out of the hole): 5
    Airdyne: 10 min, 61 cal
    Last edited by SarahBeth; 08-11-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Congrats on the 3 digit bench! Hope you are 100% soon.

Thanks Viola! I've got itchy posting fingers, so I'm on here even though I can't lift today. Despite finishing a 10-day course of abx yesterday, I caught some horrific virus that gave me a sore throat, fever, and rash all over my hands and feet. I feel better today but am not going to push it. I think my body is giving me some very clear signs that my recovery is shit. Between powerlifting training, work, breastfeeding, a baby that won't sleep through the night, and attempting to be a decent wife, something has got to give, and it's clearly been my health. I'm going to evaluate everything over my vacation and see what changes I can make to prevent this never-ending sickness from recurring. I might have to ratchet down the intensity in my training some, so I'll be adjusting my %s and increases on TM to reflect that. We'll see if that helps!

Omg you really are trying to do it all. Take care of yourself and your family first.

Having young kids is hard. It just plain is. It feels like a zero sum game, where any time you take for yourself is directly taking away from your partner who has to pick up the slack. Good luck finding that balance, there's no easy answer, other than that it gets easier with time. Actually, there is one easy answer, which is to make your husband get up in the night with the kid, but that's a rant for another time.

I have Hand, Foot and Mouth disease that I no-doubt picked up from the baby's (germ farm) daycare. FML!!
    It's actually kind of comical at this point. Oh well, at least I know what it is now and what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBeth View Post
    I have Hand, Foot and Mouth disease that I no-doubt picked up from the baby's (germ farm) daycare. FML!!
    It's actually kind of comical at this point. Oh well, at least I know what it is now and what to expect.
    Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. Did the baby get it too? My eldest son had it and he was in so much pain from the sores in his mouth that he couldn't nurse.
    I can totally relate to you...try to take it easy and eliminate as much stress as possible but I know it's easier said than done though.

Also, I know this is late but I really liked Wendler's 5-3-1 because I was able to still have consistent gains and not put too much strain on my body. At one point I was doing a LP for my squat, Texas for DL and 5-3-1 for my bench and press. My point is that you don't have to follow one specific program across all lifts.
    Last edited by Lakshmi Meadows; 08-13-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Hi Lakshmi! Yes, the baby did get it, but it was about a month ago the first time it was going around her daycare. I'm hoping she doesn't catch it again from me!
    Thanks for the 5-3-1 suggestion. My husband did that for several years before switching to Westside-style programming, so I'll ask him about it. I need to switch up something, because straight LP was causing me to stall on squats and was too heavy on DL. All the guys over on the Q&A seem to think that TM is too much stress for me. Surely there is a less-strenuous weekly periodization program I can try??

starting strength coach development program
    There are many less-strenuous weekly programs you can do. As others have mentioned, I've worked with Kyle Schuant on programming for post LP and have been pleased with both the programming and the results.

Now that you're post-LP or near it, it's a great time to consider what your goals are. If you're going to be a competitor, you'll make different decisions than if you're not. And if you're working toward a promotion or prioritizing your marriage and family, you'll make yet again different decisions.

None of these decisions have to be "and now I am going to lose all my strength gains". The beauty of SS and TM is in their efficiency, and efficiency matters if you've only got 3 months of offseason before football practice begins again or your next powerlifting meet. Efficiency is basically irrelevant if as a 30-something you're aiming for good function at 80.

Since Jan 2014, I've only been attempting PRs every 6-8 wks. Each time I've set new PRs in several lifts. The best bit is how the intervening workouts have fit into my newer more jumbly life. For me the important thing is that I be squatting at 80. And if I throw in a powerlifting meet before I turn 40 great. But the bigger deal is that it's easier to keep up with my kids, easier to handle the groceries and laundry, and easier to fly with the kids across the country, by myself, with only carryon luggage.

So the first question is what are your actual goals for lifting, how is lifting going to fit into your life? It's ok if lifting is going to be your life, but it's also ok if lifting has to get squeezed around nap times and sleep deprivation and illness.

Then you can get to your programming question. Once you know your goals, get in touch with Kyle and whatever he comes up with do it. I think you'll be surprised at both the programming and the results.

Good luck, I'm rooting for you!!

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast