starting strength gym
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Zane, Train

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks for posting the video, I've watched it a couple of times. I would probably agree that I may be loosening up at the bottom in order to achieve depth, I will be sure to post videos of all of my lifts in order to get the technique down and reap the benefits of my novice gains. I am treating this minor setback as a learning tool (albeit a painful lesson) to always be conscious of my form/position in the lifts.

I've accepted that this week in training is a wash. My back is much better than it was after Monday, but there's still some lingering pain (caused mostly by sitting at a desk for 8 hours). I'll be up and about this weekend for my kid's birthday, so hopefully all of the additional activity will help keep my lower back less stiff. Monday I will be taking a deload (most likely 10-15% deload) and working my way back up, this time paying more attention to form, as I have realized after watching platform videos and thumbing through SS again that I had a habit of divebombing into the hole. This has been a good (but painful) experience, as it forces me to pay better attention while the weights are still relatively light, instead of at heavier weights when it could set me back far more severely.

When I was divebombing into the hole I was under the mistaken impression that it was helping me get to depth and helping me get the stretch reflex. in reality staying tight is the way to build up the tension that gives you the stretch reflex. If you de-load then practice staying tight until you actually feel the bottom-- then you will feel the stretch and you can drive your hips up. That worked for me.

That's my thinking, and I will definitely be conscious of that tension and using the stretch reflex at the bottom, rather than trying to "make it happen" by just falling into the hole.

Finally got back into the gym today. Lower back had improved dramatically over the past week, until of course last night when my kid slept-walked (sleepwalked?) into my room and I shot out of bed, tweaked my back from the sudden movement. Wasn't that bad after I woke up this morning to leave for the gym, so I figured I would go ahead with it. I deloaded back to the weight I started with when I began SS ~3 weeks ago.

Squat:
    Barx5x2
    75x5
    110x3
    145x2
    185x5x3

A little soreness after my working sets were over, and I can still feel it lingering now about an hour after I finished my training. Definitely much better than I had anticipated, I filmed my last 2 working sets, and as soon as I can figure out technology, I will upload them and post them for form checks.

Bench:
    Barx10
    75x5
    110x3
    145x2
    185x5x3

I just repeated the weight I did last Monday, and it went up more smoothly than last week. I filmed the last 2 working sets of this as well, and will be posting it to improve upon.

Deadlift: N/A

After the lingering soreness, I chose not to push it with deadlifts, although on Wednesday I will be deloading back to my starting weight on these as well (255x5x1). Besides my divebombing into the hole on squats, I do not think I was approaching my training from the right place mentally either; if I'm being honest, I think my goal was to lift heavier and heavier weights as soon as possible, sacrificing my form to get there, rather than understand that it's as much about the process. I'll take a week or two of back pain to learn that lesson.

LTE:
    75x12
    75x10
    75x8

Overall, good to be back at it, and ready to bring the right approach/attitude toward my training.

I submitted one of my Squat working sets for review in the coaches forum, but I thought I would attach them here as well.

Squat:
    2nd working set - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhwvqhIu6ws
    3rd working set - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA63F5b18uA

Bench:
    2nd working set - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agKtisD6GTk
    3rd working set - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbE5plKebVY

After submitting my squat video to the SS Coaches thread, it would appear I'm not low bar squatting, and my stance might be a tad wide. I lowered the bar (although through film it doesn't look like much of an adjustment, maybe there's an irrational fear of putting it too far down my back) and narrowed my stance by an inch or two.

Squat:
    Barx5x2
    80x5
    115x3
    155x2
    195x5x3 - Felt fine, taking into account that I made two adjustments to my form. I resubmitted my second working set to the coaches forum again, I'm sure I'm doing something else wrong now. Eventually I will get this ironed out. I plan on jumping another 10lbs for Friday, depending on what the coaches say.

Press:
    Barx5x2
    55x5
    80x3
    105x2
    135x5x3 - I hadn't done press for about a week and a half, so I repeated my weight from my past press workout. Decent, felt a little heavy since I hadn't done it recently. I filmed my last two working sets, will submit later today or tomorrow. Moving up 5lbs for Monday.

Deadlift:
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    255x5x1 - Felt fine, not really any discomfort immediately following my working set, my lower/upper back just felt like they had been worked, which is good. I'll jump 10lbs for Friday, see how that feels. I filmed my working set for this, and plan on submitting it to the coaches tomorrow, so as not to send too many lifts for them to judge.

Barbell Curls:
    60x12x3

I've felt some tightness in my left hamstring/glute ever since Wednesday's training, but nothing I haven't been able to squat through. Decent day overall, can't complain.

Squat:
    Barx5x2
    85x5
    125x3
    165x2
    205x5x3 - My form is slowly getting better, I feel like I'm getting the bar into low bar position a little more easily, making sure to stretch my shoulders and keep them as tight as possible, which gets easier with each set. Tom C gave me some more good advice, my knees are too far forward, and I'm not driving with my hips. I of course read this AFTER filming today's last working set, so Monday I will be sure to implement what he's told me, and get my ass further back and lean over a bit more, instead of leading with chest/shoulders.

Bench:
    Barx10
    75x5
    115x3
    155x2
    190x5x3 - Nothing to report really, a little discomfort in my right shoulder, but went away during 3rd set after adjusting my position on the bench.

Deadlift:
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    265x5x1 - Felt fine, working on really pulling all of the slack out with my lats, makes for easier pulls. No real lower back pain/soreness afterwards, good news.

LTE:
    75x12x1
    75x10x2

your doing great,man! getting your form sorted out is time well spent. it will be alot easier to get stronger without getting hurt if your form is tight

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for checking in Keith, I appreciate it! I agree, I figure my biggest limiting factor in maximizing my LP gains is bad form, and the subsequent injury. That being said, today felt like another good day, lower back pain is still at a minimum. I filmed my last working sets for all of my main lifts today, and going to include them for any feedback, but also to reference in the coming months as a way to review.

Squat:
    Barx5x2
    85x5
    135x3
    175x2
    215x5x3 - Still trying to hammer out form, today was focusing on driving with my hips. Still don't think I'm sitting my ass back far enough to conform with the SS model, but I don't know if body type is coming into play or not. Here is my last working set - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xhnelvYY7I#t=35s

Press:
    Barx5
    55x5
    85x3
    115x2
    140x5x3 - This is starting to feel heavy, able to see it in the last rep. Still going to jump 5 lbs Friday, we'll see how it goes. Last working set - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsJ1y0oyJc8#t=35s

Deadlift:
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x5 - Not particularly heavy, grip felt fine. I watched my working set, I can see some rounding in my lower back I will need to be more conscious of as the set progresses, but I'm making sure to take the slack out with my lats, makes the pulling easier. Working set - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGnDKdoCEHs#t=30s

Barbell Curls:
    70x10x3

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast