starting strength gym
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: bean counter's novice log (29yo, 6')

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    19 December 2014

Bodyweight: 83 kg

Press [intensity]
    61.25: 1 X 6 [PB]

Every rep a struggle

Bench [volume]
    86.25 kg: 3 X 5

Aborted before 5 sets due to shoulder discomfort

CGBP
    60 kg: 1 X 10
    65 kg: 1 X 8
    60 kg: 1 X 6

Hopefully less stressful on my shoulder. Incomplete rest between sets (c. 3 minutes).

Chin
    BW: 5 X 5

Is anyone still reading? I think I need to change things up and start a new log for 2015. Squat and pulling camps this weekend should give me some inspiration.

20 December 2014

Starting Strength Squat Camp

Squat [unsurprisingly]
    Unweighted: 5 X 1
    20 kg: 2 X 5
    40 kg: 1 X 5
    60 kg: 1 X 5
    80 kg: 1 X 5
    100 kg: 1 X 5
    115 kg: 3 X 5, 1 X 1, 1 X 5

Had to hit a single to stay warm before doing a final workset in front of the whole group.

Grip tips from Jordan (specific to my situation):
    - Almost put the wrists into flexion
    - Don't crank the elbows up, only back (together)

Tips not to go too low:
    - Knees out more
    - Slightly wider stance

More hip drive needed.

Tom C effectively told me to eat more. Jordan gave me an autoregulated program template that looks good, but it's three exercises three times a week and I'm not sure I can manage the 90 minutes that would require on a weekday.

How was the day in general? I wish I'd had a chance to come but I had other commitments this weekend.

Also get that milk down you boy!
    Last edited by Lion Heart; 12-20-2014 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    How was the day in general? I wish I'd had a chance to come but I had other commitments this weekend.

Also get that milk down you boy!
    It was a good day, but even six hours was pretty tiring. I think I might start to switch off in the full length seminar format. Plus, I am used to training alone, so I kind of zoned out and psyched up a bit for my worksets rather than focusing on everyone else at that point.

It was interesting to see a lot of other people trying to low-bar squat and the variety of form errors they had. I could see a lot of them before the coaches feedback, so I think I have a reasonable mental model of what the form should look like. I was middle of the pack in terms of my workset weights, the range was 60 kg to 160 kg I think.

Jordan's grip fix felt like an immediate improvement, but none of the other feedback I got was really new to me. I guess that means I just need to work on it and not accept sloppiness. More filming and coaching seem like good ideas at this point.

The lecture material was as expected, with some more informative digressions and a long Q&A session at the end.

I do seem to have got stuck around the 83 - 84 kg mark for a long time now. I do want to increase this gradually but I'm still not willing to start eating a lot of junk to get there.

I'm off to the pulling camp later today.

21 December 2014

Starting Strength Pulling Camp

Deadlift
    60 kg: 1 X 5
    80 kg: 1 X 5
    110 kg: 1 X 5
    125 kg: 1 X 3
    140 kg: 1 X 5

- Get back flatter when setting up : get uncomfortable
    - Don't drop hips before pulling
    - Get the bar back over mid-foot for subsequent reps

Power Clean
    bar: technique
    30 kg: technique
    40 kg: 1 X 3
    50 kg: 1 X 3
    60 kg: 1 X 3
    65 kg: 1 X 3
    67.5 kg: 1 X 3

- Narrower stance
    - Knees out more
    - Off the floor with a flatter back (same as DL)
    - Don't pull around the knee
    - Catch lower

In the Q&A I got some tips on looking after my shoulder while benching.

I should be pressing today but I feel dead tired so I'm going to take a rest then train on Tuesday and Wednesday before a couple of days break for Christmas.

23 December 2014

Monkeying around with RTS style training today in advance of a new programme; watch this space...

Press
    50 kg X 5 @ 8.5
    52.5 kg X 5 @ 9
    50 kg X 5 @ 8.5, 8.5, 9

Pause Bench [brief pause]
    75 kg X 5 @ 8.5
    77.5 kg X 5 @ 8.5
    80 kg X 5 @ 9
    75 kg X 5 @ 8.5, 9

Gripping narrower than usual (thumb in from the knurling) in an attempt to help out my troublesome shoulder.

Keeping rest periods to 5 minutes max let me do more press/bench volume than usual in less time (an hour). Admittedly intensity was lower.

Pullups
    34 in 7 minutes

Following a pull over chin recommendation for shoulder health.

24 December 2014

Squat
    110 kg: 1 X 5 @ 8
    115 kg: 1 X 5 @ 8.5
    120 kg: 1 X 5 @ 9-
    110 kg: 3 X 5 @ 8, 8, 8+

I filmed all my sets and really concentrated on not going too deep. I may have identified a very subtle sensation in my glutes at a decent depth, but time will tell if I can become more consistent. Rest of my form was a bit wobbly as depth was my primary focus.

With better depth came the easiest 120 kg set I've ever squatted. I also failed to get back to RPE 9 after an 8% load drop and stopped based on time elapsed.

Pause Deadlift
    80 kg: 1 X 5 @ 8
    90 kg: 1 X 5 @ 8
    100 kg: 1 X 5 @ 8+
    80 kg: 1 X 5 @ 8

I've never done this before and had a hard time judging RPEs. The pause was tough every time, but the sets weren't wearing me down too much. I didn't want to go past 100 kg even though I didn't hit RPE 9 as as I was being conservative with this new exercise. 20% load drop on the back-off was way too much, even on short rest.

Barbell curls in the squat rack
    30 kg X 52 in 7 minutes.

I felt this a lot in my shoulders from the repeated unracking and reracking.
    Last edited by bean counter; 12-24-2014 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Corrected number of squat sets

Just like anything else, the more you practice, the more you'll get better at calling RPEs. When Jordan wrote my first block program in August I was pretty lost, and probably selling myself short a bit in terms of calling sets a "9" when they should've been called an 8/8.5. Eventually, you'll get to know that if you need to hit the next RPE up you'll add on a specific amount of weight for each exercise (for example with the squat-- ~15lbs for an RPE increase of 8 to 9). As always, it also depends on how you're feeling that day but you'll at least have a general sense. Keep up the good work, will be following along.

Quote Originally Posted by NtG View Post
    Just like anything else, the more you practice, the more you'll get better at calling RPEs. When Jordan wrote my first block program in August I was pretty lost, and probably selling myself short a bit in terms of calling sets a "9" when they should've been called an 8/8.5. Eventually, you'll get to know that if you need to hit the next RPE up you'll add on a specific amount of weight for each exercise (for example with the squat-- ~15lbs for an RPE increase of 8 to 9). As always, it also depends on how you're feeling that day but you'll at least have a general sense. Keep up the good work, will be following along.
    Thanks, I have ironed out my programme details with Jordan and I'll be starting a new log thread once I get going, hopefully tomorrow.

I expect I was selling myself short on the squat RPEs, but better to start conservatively rather than too heavy. Reviewing my film shows the bar speed didn't slow much on the 120 kg squat set (not that it was ever fast) and only really went down on the last rep of the final 110 kg set. Changing my technique in the same session was also a confounding factor.

I know from experience that even rep three of a new 5RM (i.e. RPE 9.5 - 10) is tough, but with two reps to go, stopping the set at that point would still only be a RPE 8. So merely working hard isn't enough to call a RPE 9. It's harder to think how many more reps I could have done at the end of a set of five because I've never done sixes or sevens.

Another point I need to get past is that with the lower body lifts, a high intensity set requires a lot of willpower and leaves me gassed. Whereas for the pressing movements, even going to failure doesn't feel like such a big deal and it's more like my arms simply stop working. So a RPE 9 deadlift set and a RPE 9 press set are quite different.

I've seen Mike T's chart of reps vs. RPE, giving suggested % 1RM, which I will use as a guide while getting used to judging things for myself. As my working weights aren't very high I expect a 1 RPE jump is more like 5kg (11 lbs) for me at the moment, but that's another thing to figure out.

starting strength coach development program
    New log here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=54394

Thank you to everyone who has commented and followed along over the past months. I'm done here and moving to General.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617