starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: steve, starting from scratch

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    If you're gaining that much then that's pretty good. Keep it up.

Week 2 day 2

BW: 135.5

SQ: 135x5x3 Really felt heavy today. Probably because I was really, really trying to go deep. And now I'm sore. But I got the reps.

OHP: 60x5x3 The first set was really hard. And then I rested 5 min. and the second set was much easier, same with the third. In retrospect, warming up with 45, 50, 55, with very little rest in between wasn't a well thought through plan. With those tiny little increments I was doing nearly workset work right before my first workset. So, next time, either a lighter warmup or more rest. Or both. But even so, I felt good about these. I was pessimistic after last time but they went well.

DL: 170x5 I wasn't sure whether to deadlift at all. But I didn't spend any time practicing power cleans at home, and I thought maybe I was too early in the program to eliminate the every workout deadlift anyhow, so I did it. And at first, I was going to go up another 5 to 175, and just really, really, concentrate on form, make my core as tight as I could, valsava like crazy, and see how it went. But 175 felt crazy heavy, and I was scared. So I backed down to 170 and ground it out. Didn't video it because the gym was really busy, so I don't know if my technique was better. But I think maybe I do, in fact, need to start deadlifting every other workout. We'll see what happens with that, maybe the increased recovery time will help my back be stronger.

I finished up with 6 and then 4 reps of chinups.

Week 2 day 3 (yesterday)

BW: 136

SQ: 140x5x3 Boy these felt hard. I videoed each of the work sets, and the depth kind of varied. Usually the first rep was deep enough, then not so much as I tired out. On the last set I was having balance problems, stumbled forward as I was coming up out of the third rep. Not sure whether to go up another 5 lbs next time or repeat this weight to try and improve my form.

BP: 85x5x3 These felt okay. Heavy, but not murderously so.

Power clean: 45x3, 65x3, 85x3x5 Practiced with the empty bar, 10lb bumpers and then another 20lbs. Maybe could've done more, but that'll just let me go a little longer before I stall. These were kind of fun. I don't think I was pulling (rowing? curling?) with my arms once the weight got heavy, but I'm not sure I know how to tell.

5x2 chin ups.

Week 3 day 1

BW: 136 (I was a lazy eater yesterday. C'mon Steve, eat!)

SQ: 140x5x3 Better this time, didn't stumble around. Still really hard to commit to getting deep enough. I just don't believe I'll be able to get back up so I stop going down.

OHP: 65x5,5,4 I was a little cocky about these after my success last time and that wore off real quick. Just plain hard. Managed to grind out the 5 reps on the first two sets but didn't have it on the last one.

DL: 175x5 Apparently the longer rest helped. I'm sure my form wasn't perfect, but it felt better.

For a skinny guys your improvement should encourage you. Keep working and eating and you will be delighted with the strength gains. Until then, stay away from strong winds.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Until then, stay away from strong winds.
    I guess I picked the wrong place to live. Fortunately, skinny = aerodynamic.

Week 3 day 2

BW: 139.5 (okay, now we're talking. Checked twice, just to be sure.)

SQ: 145x5x3

BP: 90x5x3

PC: 90x3x5 (first warmup with just the bar I jumped so hard I slammed the bar into my chin and nearly chipped a tooth. Smooth, Steve, smooth.)

6,4 chin ups.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtroyer View Post
    PC: 90x3x5 (first warmup with just the bar I jumped so hard I slammed the bar into my chin and nearly chipped a tooth. Smooth, Steve, smooth.)
    Power cleans are so full of win. How can you not love throwing a heavy object directly at your face?

I mean, at least if I seriously injure myself, I can sound like a badass when I'm explaining how it happened. "Yeah, well, you know how it goes. Throwing the barbell around, didn't know my own strength. Next time I'll be sure to put more weight on there so that doesn't happen. Safety first."

starting strength coach development program
    Week 3 day 3

BW: 139

SQ: 150x5x3 First set felt great. Second one not quite so great and my knee hurt. (why?) Third one I lost my balance coming up on the first rep, crashed back into the vertical supports (good thing I was in the rack). Went away for a few minutes, came back, and tried again, and it was okay. Weird.

OHP: 65x5x3 Again, first set felt hardest, need to rest longer after warming up I guess.

DL: 180x5 Hard. Wicked hard. Again, lower back control rapidly went from okay to bad as the set progressed. Not sure how concerned about that I need to be.

7,4 chin ups. Probably should rest longer between sets but at the end of the workout I get impatient.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast