starting strength gym

Thread: 70 and Starting Strength

Default 70 and Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Have been reading the threads for awhile and find they give me encouragement so thought I'd post my log to help me or anyone stay on track.
    While farting around earlier this year with 10# DBs to help my golf game thought that maybe lifting real wts would help more. Got an old set out of the garden shed and found I really enjoyed it.
    Researching led me to strong lifts then to SSBBT. Got the book and in Aug began cautiously with the novice program. Felt great and still do. I use 'myfitnesspal' to track diet macros. 6' 3/4" 181 # at the beginning currently at 190#. Waist is the same. Using various fat calculators seems my fat has dropped from approx 28 to 21%. I work out 3 times a week at about 7a m. Definitely hitting the ball further but have cut back to two games per week, walking.
    OK, here's the workout:
    Mon We'd Fri

Squats 2x5 bar. 1x5 70. 1x5 85. 1x4 104. 3x5 122

Press. 1x5 20. 1x5 35. 1x5 42. 3x5 50

D lift. 1x5 bar. 1x5 60. 1x5 80. 1x4 98. 1x3 120. 1x5 140

Will begin dips today from box. Can't do full ones yet.

Fri WO

Squat. Warm ups then 3x5 124. A 2 lb progression each WO

Bench 1x5 20. 1x5 30. 1x5 45. 1x5 54. 3x5 64 A 2 lb progression ea WO

Chin ups. 3x8. I can do 2 actual chin ups the rest are negatives per 'Scoobys'

Abs. 1x25. 15 # on chest at abt 10 neg slant

The press advances at 1 lb per WO and the dead lift at 5lb per WO

The workout takes about 45 mins each session. Always feel energized afterward and have to remind myself to rest.
    Weightlifting is terrific for geezers from what I read here and my own experience.
    Thanks guys.

Keep up the three days for a bit but at some point you may need to back off to twice per week. I'm happy to see that you are now posting your progress. Keep up the good work. As I noted in the elderly forum I'm 67 and love this stuff immensely. What are "dips from box"?

Congratulations. I'm excited too. What would I have been if only I had discovered this earlier. Regardless, I feel fortunate to have discovered it at all. I'll follow-up and maybe we can exchange our experiences. Right off the bat, I agree with your LP. I find warm-ups essential; it greases up them old joints but once they're hot, I'm into it.

Nice program,similar to what I have begun. I will be 65 next month,5'11 202 lbs. I dont want to gain weight since I have been advised by 2 drs to loose some do to HBP and borderline pre diabetic.. I used to WO consistently until a few years ago on a sort of hit program designed personally by Dr. Ken.
    15 years ago at 198 my bests lifts were a 200 BP , 300 sqt, and a 400 DL,done at a raw meet.
    Started doing some random lifting a few months ago in my garage gym and noticed that I had lost a lot so strength. Found this site and started a twice a week program A squats,bench press and pulldowns. 3 sets 5 reps. Weights so far are 140, 130 and 135.
    B stiff legged DB deadlifts, standing press and curls,weights are 80lb Dumbbells,75 press and 75 for the curls.
    Going to give this program a run for the next six weeks and see how it goes.Trying my best to eat clean. Great to see some older guys still into staying strong for the long run.

BrooklynJerry

You bet.

Your program sounds good. Don't be surprised if you inch up steadily, seeing that you did it before.

Good luck!
    Last edited by FRECHETTE; 12-03-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks for the encouragements. Squat was 132 not 122.
    Carson: I put together a 10" high box which gives be a 4" push up to complete a dip. Each workout I cut a half inch off the box, currently now at a6" dip. Will be up to a full dip in another few weeks and the box will only be about 4" high then. Hope that's clear.
    It's the chins that kill me.
    While still making progress 3 times per wk am beginning to plan going to 2 days per wk as the workouts are getting difficult, but doable.

starting strength coach development program
    What is a dip? Sorry.