starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Log

Default Dan's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    3 months progress report

So I've been doing starting strength for 3 months now. When I started at the end of April I was about 150lb (@ 5'10'', 34 years old) and although I have attempted SS before I felt the need to start all the lifts from a low level as its been a couple of years since I picked up a barbell.

My weight progression is as follows, all current 5 rep lifts:

Bodyweight 150lb --> 168lb (waist size has stayed the same)

Squat 45kg --> 92.5kg (100lb to 205lb) (had several w/o's at the same weight to work on form)

Deadlift 60kg --> 97.5kg (135lb to 215lb) (had to deload recently to work on form)

Bench 25kg --> 55kg (55lb to 120lb) (upper body lifts are hard for me)

Press 20kg --> 37.5kg (45lb to 82.5lb) (as above)

Power clean not trained regularly due to me needing to work on deadlifting form but I can do 40kg (90lb). Will add this in properly once deadlift sorted.

Chin ups - gone from a couple of singles to 3 sets of 4,3,3 reps. So 10 in total.

So overall I'm pleased with this I think. Maybe not as fast progression as others have reported but I've worked up solidly and don't think I've gained much fat in the process. Initially I was eating 3k but upped this to 3.5k last 6 weeks or so and things are moving better on 3.5k.

I'm pleased to have hit the 168lb milestone on my bodyweight (12 UK stones is a nice round number).

I'm pleased that the video critiquing I've received from many people here on this forum has started to help me feel much better and more in control of my lifts. Especially my deadlift which felt much stronger the last couple of workouts now that my back control has improved.

Goals for next 3 months

My next 3 months I really hope to get my squat moving now and I'd like to get maybe to 115-120kg. Not sure how realistic this is in a 3 month timeframe? Now I'm getting my deadlift form sorted out (thanks to everyone on this forum who has helped critique my form), I hope that I can progress this to 130kg. Again not sure if 3 months is enough time to do this. On the bench which is difficult for me I'm hoping to add another 20kg in this timeframe taking me close to 80kg. Again not sure how well I'll do with this goal. Another 15kg on my press would also be a target taking me to 55kg.

If I start introducing power cleans soon (I may not if my deadlift keeps progressing every workout without overtraining me), then a single plate clean would be my first goal.

In terms of bodyweight I'm looking for another 14lb in the next 3 months which I hope to be realistic which would take me to around 180lb give or take.

And who knows in 3 months time I may even have decided what lifting shoes I want!

If anyone has any comments or tips to see me through the next three months they would be most welcome.

Dan
    Last edited by danlightbulb; 08-03-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Hi, you're fairly similar to me in age and build so I'll be following with interest.

I've also been progressing fairly slowly, but after six months my best squat and deadlift are pretty much at where you're aiming at, so those strike me as reasonable goals.

Good luck!

12th October 2014

Well I'm not really making the progress I ought to be. I seem to have stagnated badly. My lifts have moved from my post above on 3rd August to the following:

Bodyweight 168lb --> 180lb (visible bodyfat levels not really changing)

Squat 92.5kg --> 105kg (more on this below)

Deadlift 97.5kg --> 115kg

Bench 55kg --> 62.5kg x 5 sets of 3 reps

Press: switched to press 2.0 and have worked up to 40kg

Power clean still not trained regularly.

Chin ups not being trained regularly either but did 3 sets of 4 reps at the last attempt in mid September.

I just seem to be stuck in a rut at the moment. Not going to reach the 6 months goals I set out in August. I've had 2 lots of illness, personal issues (ex-wife / kids) and some higher than normal stress at work which has all served to prevent my progress and take away my motivation.

On the squat I introduced a belt and shoes during a one month (ish) window. These took some getting used to (especially the belt) which meant some deloads and form work. I was pleased to break the 100kg barrier though and can now squat 105kg but I'm stuck here. Not stuck physically (I've been lifting 105kg for like 3 weeks now and its starting to become relatively easy) but I keep having to repeat that weight due to missing a workout or because I'm too tired to attempt a progression, or because I'm too tired to go for 3 sets of 5. This is stopping me moving forward.

Same on the deadlift. Reached 115kg and should be able to progress further. The strength is there, the bodyweight is there (I've still been gaining although the rate has slowed), but mentally I'm not there. I got pissed off the other day and did 120kg for a single.

On the bench I got stuck at about 60kg for a while. Same as above really, missed workouts and fatigue didn't help. I can do 65kg for 3 reps though and working in 3's for a while might help me IF I can get my routine back in order.

I've still not introduced power cleans because of the fatigue issues I'm having.

The darker UK nights and colder weather now aren't helping me much either. Once I get home from work I don't feel like going out again. My appetite is also lowered and I'm bored of eating again. I'm having days where I'm missing my calorie targets.

I feel that there are some positives, my squat and deadlift have both increased, but not by as much as they should have done in the last 2 months. I love the feeling of getting a solid 3 sets of 5 on a heavy squat, but then I miss the next workout or I'm tired and don't perform and its frustrating.
    Last edited by danlightbulb; 10-12-2014 at 02:31 PM.

You may have reached your natural limit. If you are able to post videos on technique or on a coaches area you may receive some help. I'm not clear why the belt would cause you to have to adjust form or deload. Belts are design to help with valsalva and hence the tightness of your body. Perhaps it isn't tight enough. Seeing a video of your squats or DLs could help.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You may have reached your natural limit. If you are able to post videos on technique or on a coaches area you may receive some help. I'm not clear why the belt would cause you to have to adjust form or deload. Belts are design to help with valsalva and hence the tightness of your body. Perhaps it isn't tight enough. Seeing a video of your squats or DLs could help.
    Thanks for your advice. I have posted form checks many times before and also received some coaching from SSC Carl Raghavan in London. The belt took some getting used to with its positioning and correct setting which took several weeks of experimentation before I was totally happy with it. Other deloads have been caused by some illnesses and some life stresses as I've said in my post. My form in the lifts is ok at the moment, I know I can go higher but I need to shake the recent motivational issues and have a good run at it again. At the moment I'm not lifting consistently enough as I'm only lifting twice per week on irregular days and am very tired overall.
    Last edited by danlightbulb; 10-12-2014 at 04:41 PM.

13th October 2014

Nailed my 3x5x105kg squats today and if someone had a gun to my head I think I had a couple more reps in the tank too. Time to increase!
    Press got the 5x3x40kg so pleased with that, going to go up in 3's for a while see what happens.
    Deadlift got the 1x5x115kg again so time to move up. This feels harder than the squat. Hook grip made my thumb bleed :0

So after all the moaning I've been doing I'm hoping some energy levels are returning now. Keep on going!

16th October 2014

Squats felt good today. Reps were 5,5,3+2 at 107.5kg. The last 3+2 was by choice because I just felt the need to rack and take a minute to ready myself for the last 2.
    Bench press I'm working in 5 sets of 3 currently and got all reps today at 65kg.
    Power clean was rubbish. Did 2 reps at 42.5kg then couldn't jump any more, just ran out of leg strength. I dunno how to deal with these fast lifts which seem to be killed by the squatting done prior.

I'm having a night on the town on Saturday which most people would be looking forward to but all I can think of is that it will destroy my training sessions for at least 3 days afterwards. Ive got to go though because its my missus's birthday bash.

Everything we encounter forces us to make a choice. If you have a blow out all nighter with too much intake and you know this will cause difficulties and you don't care, then go for it. If you want to continue to progress then be a bit more disciplined.

28th October 2014

Squats ok today using back off sets now. 1x5x107.5kg, 2x5x102.5kg completed.
    Bench press still feels hard. Repeated 65kg and did 3x3 because last but one workout I failed to complete reps at 67.5kg.
    Chin ups 3 sets of 3.

Fairly pleased with this but I'm stuck on the bench and press. Gonna have to do something about that.

starting strength coach development program
    2nd November 2014

Squats 1x5x110kg followed by 2x5x105kg. Got reps but 110kg felt very close to my limit.

Squat check posted: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=53097

Bench 4,3,3,3,2 reps @ 65kg. Dunno what I'm doing here I need a rethink. Today I just wanted to make the 15 reps at this weight.

Chins 4,3,3. Feels ok but hard.

Bodyweight as of right now 181.6 lb.
    Last edited by danlightbulb; 11-02-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast