starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: grittypop's SS Novice Routine Reboot (33, 5'10")

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    8/27/14 - Starting Strength #9 - Original Novice - Workout B

weight: 156.4, 14% bf (+0.4 lbs, -0% bf from first session)

Squat:
    225 lbs
    5, 5, 5 (diff 83, 84, 83%)

Bench Press:
    170 lbs
    5, 5, 5 (diff 85, 85, 85%)

Power Clean:
    105 lbs
    3, 3, 3, 3, 3 (diff 74, 74, 73, 73, 73%)

Starting to hit a better groove with squats, I think. Anxious to get to bigger plates with the power cleans so they're not as awkward from the floor, so I jumped 10 lbs this time.

Calories today were 3451 with 144g fat, 347g carbs, 154g protein.
    Last edited by grittypop; 08-31-2014 at 04:06 PM.

8/29/14 - Starting Strength #10 - Original Novice - Workout A

weight: 155.8 lbs, 14% bf (-0.2 lbs, -0% bf from first session)

Squat:
    230 lbs
    5, 5, 6 (diff 84, 84, 85%)

Press:
    110 lbs
    5, 5, 5 (diff 88, 90, 90%)

Deadlift:
    270 lbs
    5 (diff 95%)

Did a bonus sixth rep on the last set of squats. Whoops! Press was getting pretty difficult so I think I'll start microloading in 2.5-lb increments starting next time. Woof, the deadlift was hard. I lifted 1x300 lbs once, but this was a new 5RM for sure.

After the next two sessions, I'll switch to a proper three workouts per week schedule (Fri/Sun/Tues) with a two-day break (Wed/Thurs) for recovery. Starting to feel like I need it now. I might also switch to the Practical Programming novice schedule with deadlifts on the middle day each week, since I feel like I'm nearing my deadlift max.

Calories today were 3816 with 156g fat, 340g carbs, and 219g protein. Still doing 5/8 GOMAD.
    Last edited by grittypop; 08-31-2014 at 04:04 PM.

8/31/14 - Starting Strength #11 - Original Novice - Workout B

weight: 160.0 lbs, 14.9% bf (+4.0 lbs, +0.9% bf from first session)

Squat:
    235 lbs
    5, 5, 5 (diff 84, 85, 84%)

Bench Press:
    175 lbs
    5, 5, 5 (diff 87, 86, 86%)

Power Clean:
    110 lbs
    3, 3, 3, 3, 3 (diff 64, 66, 67, 66, 66%)

Woah, my weight just shot up four pounds. Will have to see if that's just a fluctuation from a big restaurant meal last night.

I have no problem eating lots of food when bulking up, but it's hard on me mentally. I feel soft and bloated most of the time and worry that all the gains are just fat. I know my goal is to gain another 25 pounds (at least), but since I've never been that heavy before, I'm overly cautious of adding mostly fat and minimal muscle. Get over it, right? Eleven sessions in, and only four pounds up? YNDTP!
    Last edited by grittypop; 08-31-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Most of the time people here write don't worry about the weight gain. Just keep eating and keep lifting. I didn't have a need to gain weight but I do eat more than when I started. My weight has remained fairly constant but my shape has really firmed. I think if you hit 250 while still lifting you may need to cut back. See the nutrition section for better advice than I can give.

Thanks for the reply, Carson. Sounds pretty consistent with what I've read. I have all four Rippetoe books and am certainly aware of the "party line" on eating plenty and growing big to fuel strength gains. Even so, I'm hesitant to gain so much extra fat that it will take many months or even years to drop it all (never mind the new wardrobe!).

I also realize that in trying to strike a balance between the two, I've only made it back to my set point weight (if that's even a thing) along with some strength gains. I haven't exactly been spinning my wheels during the last two years, but it's not really the progress I'd like to have made, either.

I'm 5'10 1/2". Three years ago I weighed 240 lbs. and intentionally lost 30 pounds. At 210 I had a 44" waist and it was made up of most fat. In late Feb. 2013 I started SS and never really lost any weight nor did I gain any weight. I did get much stronger and my waist dropped to 38". I don't worry about percent of body fat. I look good and am stronger today than at any time in my life. You may have other concerns for yourself. I cannot say. But I feel good. I'm pretty strong and I don't look bad for a 67 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I'm 5'10 1/2". Three years ago I weighed 240 lbs. and intentionally lost 30 pounds. At 210 I had a 44" waist and it was made up of most fat. In late Feb. 2013 I started SS and never really lost any weight nor did I gain any weight. I did get much stronger and my waist dropped to 38". I don't worry about percent of body fat. I look good and am stronger today than at any time in my life. You may have other concerns for yourself. I cannot say. But I feel good. I'm pretty strong and I don't look bad for a 67 year old.
    That's very impressive, and congrats!

I can't say that I have a particular reason to get super shredded or anything. I'm pretty healthy already, am happily married with a young baby, and don't really need to impress anyone with rock-hard abz (I can't even remember the last time I had my shirt off in public).

I just have the tendency to get obsessive over things and enjoy pushing myself, so naturally I want to have amazing lifting numbers AND look better than I do now, all in three weeks or less. That's not too much to ask, right? *cough*

9/2/14 - Starting Strength #12 - Original Novice - Workout A

weight: 159.4 lbs, 14.9% bf (+3.4 lbs, +0.9% bf from first session)

Today's food intake: 3335 calories; 125g fat, 334g carbs, 172g protein.

Squat:
    240 lbs
    5, 5, 5 (diff 85, 86, 86%)

Press:
    112.5 lbs
    5, 5, 5 (diff 89, 90, 92%)

Deadlift:
    280 lbs
    4 (diff 99%)

The fifth deadlift was my first missed rep of the progression. I was actually pretty happy to get four reps, given how hard 270 lbs felt.

Normally I get 8-9 hours of sleep but was running on five hours last night, which probably didn't help. I also started taking creatine again yesterday after a couple months off.

I need to reduce my deadlifting frequency now, but I'm not sure whether I should move over to the Onus Wunsler novice program or the Wichita Falls version. I'm a little concerned that the deadlifts might be too infrequent on the latter, but then again, every successful set of five will be a PR from here on out.

Also not sure whether to jump by 10 lbs if I hit the next deadlift set, or whether to reduce that to five now that I'm in uncharted territory. I get a sense that 10 is preferred, but my deadlift has always been fairly slow to improve.
    Last edited by grittypop; 09-02-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grittypop View Post
    That's very impressive, and congrats!

I can't say that I have a particular reason to get super shredded or anything. I'm pretty healthy already, am happily married with a young baby, and don't really need to impress anyone with rock-hard abz (I can't even remember the last time I had my shirt off in public).

I just have the tendency to get obsessive over things and enjoy pushing myself, so naturally I want to have amazing lifting numbers AND look better than I do now, all in three weeks or less. That's not too much to ask, right? *cough*
    Right!! A sense of humor helps all of us get through this life and it's challenges. BTW we had a wonderful weekend with our little grandchildren. It was a profound joy.

starting strength coach development program
    9/5/14 - Starting Strength #13 - Original Novice - Workout B

weight: 160.2 lbs, 14.9% bf (+4.2 lbs, +0.9% bf from first session)

Yesterday's food intake (rest day): 3861 calories; 141g fat, 352g carbs, 240g protein. Still doing 1/2 GOMAD (8-9 cups per day).

Squat:
    245 lbs
    5, 5, 5 (diff 82, 84, 85%)

Bench Press:
    180 lbs
    5, 5, 5, 1 (diff 87, 88, 90%)

Power Clean:
    115 lbs
    3, 3, 3, 3, 3 (diff 80, 78, 84, 83, 78%)

Squats felt good after my first two-day break, albeit a little stiff.

Bench is getting pretty difficult, but I think I can make one or two more five-pound jumps before microloading. I taped the last set and noticed that my grip was too narrow. I did a bonus rep after measuring 22" and it felt way easier. Duly noted for next time.

Power cleans were pretty inconsistent. The first few sessions I got away with minimal rest, but now I'm starting to need a couple minutes between sets. Don't think I need to start microloading yet, though.

Weight gain is around four pounds over almost as many weeks (although some of that might be water/food weight). Even though I've been lifting for a couple years, my numbers aren't yet approaching the high end of the novice range (and I already failed a set of five deadlifts at 280 lbs). Not sure whether that means I should be aggressively pursuing 180 lbs or sticking with 1-2 pounds per week.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast