Thread: 57bergstrm an elderly beginner log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    you weren't being disrespctful
    Joke,[emoji6], at least tried to.

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Thank you! Sometimes progress is good, and sometimes I go backwards. But I am impressed with your bench there!
    Im a little surprised myself, I hope I can keep up the progress and maybe learn something useful for the programming of the other lifts.

Thursday 13/8-15 heavy squat
    Ascending fives
    Last workset 100kgx3

Press ID
    Worksets
    49kgx1x5
    47x2x5
    Backoff no rest
    40x3, 30x6

Notes
    Felt strong in the squat quite low also. Tuesday light squat was helpful. Anyway Im always tired, need a lot of rest and sleep.
    Press is moving on good.
    Deadlift on saturday, I hate it, but I am doing it anyway.

what is it about dl that you dislike?

Sometimes I dislike a lift because it challenges me or I just don't feel comfortable with the movement.

Thanks for asking Lou!
    It makes me think, two things are bothering me, first is the total impossibility to forsee how many reps I can manage, even if a feel great, like I did today, just gave up. The other issue is the problem (as Rip often points out) the hands want will not lift what the back cant. Its like todays deadlift, felt easy the first three reps on 135kg, then my head just shuts down and I drop the bar, its like my head suddenly decides to not care if I make my fives, I can do it next time. Like a real loser. Its easier with the press and squat, you just keep on pushing until it gets up. The deadlift makes me act like a weakling.

16/8-15 Deadlift

40kgx5, 50x5, 60x5, 80x3, 95x2, 105x2, 115x1, 125x1,
    worksets 135kgx3 failed rep nr 4
    got angry and made a new PR 1RM @142kg
    135x1,
    backoff 117,5kgx5x2

Bench VD
    worksets:
    75kgx5x3
    75x4x2
    75x3
    Short rest
    Backoff: narrow grip
    60x5
    60x8
    Chins Blueband 10,11. Greenband 3, 3.
    Notes
    It felt a little better to lift a 1RM PR. But Im disapointed about the miss with the fives.
    The bench moves on, really pleased with it, raised the weight with 1,5kg.

I have a moment of fear with almost every lift. Actually the fear only lasts a second. Then I say, I will not embarrass myself. Even if I collapse I will not embarrass myself. If the bar lifts from the floor I'd rather collapse than not lift it all the way. I guess I'm stubborn and I don't take rejection well even from an inanimate object. I'm a bit more frightened of the squat than I am of the DL. At least I've never fallen with the DL. I have with the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I have a moment of fear with almost every lift. Actually the fear only lasts a second. Then I say, I will not embarrass myself. Even if I collapse I will not embarrass myself. If the bar lifts from the floor I'd rather collapse than not lift it all the way. I guess I'm stubborn and I don't take rejection well even from an inanimate object. I'm a bit more frightened of the squat than I am of the DL. At least I've never fallen with the DL. I have with the squat.
    I think its better to lift at a gym from that perspective, others are watching. I lift on my own in the basement, nobody sees my embarrasment.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 57bergstrm View Post
    Thanks for asking Lou!
    It makes me think, two things are bothering me, first is the total impossibility to forsee how many reps I can manage, even if a feel great, like I did today, just gave up. The other issue is the problem (as Rip often points out) the hands want will not lift what the back cant. Its like todays deadlift, felt easy the first three reps on 135kg, then my head just shuts down and I drop the bar, its like my head suddenly decides to not care if I make my fives, I can do it next time. Like a real loser. Its easier with the press and squat, you just keep on pushing until it gets up. The deadlift makes me act like a weakling.
    I get it. Dl's are not very forgiving. Any fatigue anywhere in the linkage will cause problems. Also, just my own observation, fatigue accumulates fast from rep to rep with dl's.
    I've included in my training assistance lifts to deal with areas of dl that I sense need additional strength and conditioning.
    Another personal onservation, just because I write a number of reps as my plan for the session doesn't always mean I will get them.
    So in the case like yours on Saturday I scheduled dl 305 (2) 6's. I only got 5 on my first set and second set so I rested 5 minutes and did 3 reps. Than 225 sldl for (2) 6's. I don't let this shit bother me. I make adjustments.
    DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOUR SELF.