starting strength gym
Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Antigeezerdom Log

Default Antigeezerdom Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey folks,

Been lurking on this board for a while and decided to pony up my log. Been specifically reading Jon Sullivan, Mark Hurling, and Bobg’s logs since they are all old farts and I am heading that direction soon enough!

I’ve been running and lifting for several years culminating in running a couple marathons in 2012. I decided to push the strength envelope after achieving my cardio goals and fixated on Crossfit in June 2012. Crossfit was a ton of fun and I met some of my strength goals through this program. I learned how to do basic compound movements and trained up from being unable to do a pull up to being able to do sets of 2-3. The basic compound movements we did in Crossfit were like a tease to me because they were not consistently trained. I decided to take a break from Crossfit to a pure strength program due to work constraints and stumbled upon SS in 2013. I have been on SS since Feb 1. 2013 and have made decent progress.

I have zero interest in fat fucking myself on the gomad diet and will take my gains as they come. I currently adhere to a Paleoish diet with about 2300-3000 calories per day. I eat 180-200 g protein a day and this is the only macro I track. I eat three meals a day and make sure they are large enough for satiation. Occasionally I will eat milk products (once every two weeks or so) but am pretty dialed in on the Whole 30 paleo plan. I eat enough that I have plenty in the tank for recovery and support gains.

I have several goals for this program.
    1. Prepare me for a physically demanding job that requires mental/physical endurance.
    2. Prepare me to have the physical strength and ability to withstand the physical beat down of Krav Maga.
    3. Age with grace and beat down the younger primates (as Bobg would say).

I typically train Thurs/Sat/Mon although this changes depending on work factors. I mix 1 long run on the weekend and 1 HIIT sprint session a week to maintain cardio conditioning. I warm up every workout with 500m sprint on the rowing machine. Typical time to complete my workout is about 2 hours.

Wt. 175
    Bodyfat 18-20%
    Height: 5’ 10”

PreCrossfit
    Marathon Time: 3:35ish
    Pullups=0

Crossfit 2012#s
    Squat 3x5=195
    Squat 7x2=210
    Deadlift 3x5= 210
    Powerclean3x5=115
    Pull Ups1x3=1 unbroken
    3 mile time post workout:23:15

2/1/13
    SS Start
    Squat3x5=150
    Press3X5=45
    Powerclean3x5=95
    Deadlift3x5=150
    Bench3x5=80
    Pullups1x3= 1 unbroken

4/1/13
    Squat3x5=220
    Press3X5=100
    Powerclean3x5=140
    Deadlift3x5=240
    Bench3x5=145
    Pullups=3x6 unbroken
    Chinup=3x6 unbroken

Runner turned strength focused...I'm pretty proud of these numbers and want to see where I am this time next year.

Thank you all for the read and hope my log helps people.

Edit
    7/1/13

Lifts:
    Squat 1RM: 365
    Press 1RM: 145
    Bench 1RM: Unknown
    Deadlift 1RM: 330
    Squats (3x5): 305
    Press (3x5): 115
    Deadlift(1x5): 320
    Bench (3x5): 187.5
    Pullups: 3x7
    Chinups: 3x7
    Abroller: 1x32

7/25/13
    Current Workout Cycle. Recomp for 30 days to try to lose 10 pounds and then recomp using Jordan's protocol.

A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    DL 1x5
    Chinup 3x6
    Jordan's 30:140x8 HIIT protocol from Hell.

B
    Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Oldster's Abroller from Hell 1x20
    Pullup 3x6
    Curllzzz 3x5
    Last edited by Runner; 07-29-2013 at 08:17 PM.

As a representative of the old folks brigade I'll speak for all three of us,

"Who are ya' calling an Old Fart, you little upstart of a whippersnapper? Oh, and while we're at it, "

All funnin' aside, welcome.You have twenty years to catch up to the dinosaurs. Ask plenty of questions along the way, mind the recovery, eat well and be strong. Now that the formalities are out of the way how about a nice cup of tea?

Love the name of your log! I gotta get that poster of Walt.

And for a musical moment, "You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill."

Old Folks Boogie:

Heh. Modern take on Shakespeare, who wisely noted that alcohol "inflames the desire, but dulls the ability."

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    As a representative of the old folks brigade I'll speak for all three of us,

"Who are ya' calling an Old Fart, you little upstart of a whippersnapper? Oh, and while we're at it, "

All funnin' aside, welcome.You have twenty years to catch up to the dinosaurs. Ask plenty of questions along the way, mind the recovery, eat well and be strong. Now that the formalities are out of the way how about a nice cup of tea?
    524967_421384864561410_1419781911_n.jpg

Yeah its been a pretty cool run on SS so far and I look forward to seeing how far I can get on SS before I cry uncle and back off the intensity. Thanks for the welcome and I have truly enjoyed your training log.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Love the name of your log! I gotta get that poster of Walt.
    Thanks! I look forward to many years of fun times before gravity has it's way with me...

33bjxck.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Heh. Modern take on Shakespeare, who wisely noted that alcohol "inflames the desire, but dulls the ability."
    The goal of course is to keep trying and bat better than .500 or as Yogi Berra would say..."the game ain't over until it's over."

Too funny just now. About an hour ago I was coming back from a project walkthrough with a couple of other guys in their 50's who were moaning about getting old. To which I replied, "I'll kick the Reaper's ass and bench press the lid off my coffin!"

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    And for a musical moment, "You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill."

Old Folks Boogie:
    That was actually a pretty cool song...although this is more my style...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg

Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast