starting strength gym
Page 176 of 191 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 1907

Thread: 57bergstrm an elderly beginner log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Over here second shot is scheduled for 28 days. I'm going today for #2.

yeah pfizer is 3 weeks and moderna is 4 weeks, glad to hear that jerry!

Thats good news, we have made it thru the hard times, in two weeks from now Im at least safe from getting a lifetreatening disease.

Quote Originally Posted by 57bergstrm View Post
    Thats good news, we have made it thru the hard times, in two weeks from now Im at least safe from getting a lifetreatening disease.
    I pray that we all get to that point!

Wednesday
    14/4-21
    Bench
    76kgx5,5,5,4
    ”Heavy” day

Thursday
    Squat in kg
    40x5
    50x5
    60x5
    70x5
    80x5
    90x3
    100x2
    110x1
    Decided to change strategy for my lifting. Been almost two weeks since my last squat. Summer is coming soon, it means less training and more sailing activity and work on my farmhouse in the north.
    I want to continue train and keep my strength on a acceptable level. Last year I stopped entirely for almost 6 months, not good for progress. Wont make the same mistake if I can avoid it.
    So I try to stay on a 80-90% of my recent maxes.

It sounds like a good idea. I read the article by Rip where he talks about maintaining strength. I wish I had kept up some sort of working out when things didn't allow me much time for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 57bergstrm View Post
    Decided to change strategy for my lifting. Been almost two weeks since my last squat. Summer is coming soon, it means less training and more sailing activity and work on my farmhouse in the north.
    I want to continue train and keep my strength on a acceptable level. Last year I stopped entirely for almost 6 months, not good for progress. Wont make the same mistake if I can avoid it.
    So I try to stay on a 80-90% of my recent maxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    It sounds like a good idea. I read the article by Rip where he talks about maintaining strength. I wish I had kept up some sort of working out when things didn't allow me much time for myself.
    My season to put the lifting on the back-burner is winter, since my primary focus during those months is snowboarding several times a week, which does not lend itself to recovering from heavy lifts. In the past, I just stopped lifting, then restarted my LP each spring from scratch. It was enlightening to go through the NLP a few years in a row, learning more each time, but I topped out at about the same weights for each lift by the time winter rolled around. So no real progress, other than fewer tweaks to deal with each year as the form improved.

During a seminar back in 2019, I talked to some SSCs about this. Their suggestion was to get at least one intensity set in for each lift once a week, since we lose strength so quickly if we don't keep that intensity up. I started doing that over the winter of 2019-20, but of course the 'vid put a halt to that and training for the entire summer. We now have a garage gym, so for this past winter (2020-21) I made sure that I got at least one intensity set per lift per week, and that really did the trick. I didn't slip too much on each lift. IF I thought that I needed a bit more volume, I'd add two backoff sets to that intensity set, but I would not do any sets across.

I'm now transitioning back to resume my LP with a slight deload to compensate for the increased volume. But I'm already within a few weeks of matching, then exceeding, my 2020 max lifts for sets across.

That recent Maintenance article just helped confirmed that I was on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    My season to put the lifting on the back-burner is winter, since my primary focus during those months is snowboarding several times a week, which does not lend itself to recovering from heavy lifts. In the past, I just stopped lifting, then restarted my LP each spring from scratch. It was enlightening to go through the NLP a few years in a row, learning more each time, but I topped out at about the same weights for each lift by the time winter rolled around. So no real progress, other than fewer tweaks to deal with each year as the form improved.

During a seminar back in 2019, I talked to some SSCs about this. Their suggestion was to get at least one intensity set in for each lift once a week, since we lose strength so quickly if we don't keep that intensity up. I started doing that over the winter of 2019-20, but of course the 'vid put a halt to that and training for the entire summer. We now have a garage gym, so for this past winter (2020-21) I made sure that I got at least one intensity set per lift per week, and that really did the trick. I didn't slip too much on each lift. IF I thought that I needed a bit more volume, I'd add two backoff sets to that intensity set, but I would not do any sets across.

I'm now transitioning back to resume my LP with a slight deload to compensate for the increased volume. But I'm already within a few weeks of matching, then exceeding, my 2020 max lifts for sets across.

That recent Maintenance article just helped confirmed that I was on the right track.
    Sounds like a good strategy, did you do 1x5 or some other variant on the work set?

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday
    28/4-21
    Bench
    70kgx5x3
    14days since last bench so I dropped 10% on the weight.