starting strength gym
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting toward 60

Default Lifting toward 60

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Brief background before the log begins: I am a 59 year old man, 5"10", 200 lbs. I lifted some 30 years ago but never with any regularity. I managed a 155 1 rep max bench press at age 29. In February I decided it was time to get stronger and in better shape. I wanted to also get my Type 2 diabetes under control and get off my BP meds. I based my weigh training on John Patrick O'Shea's Scientific Principles and Methods of Strength Fitness. I substantially increased my overall activity levels. I am not displeased with my results (A1c < 5.5%, no BP meds, weight down 30+ pounds, body fat percentage down to 28 from 35.)

http://www.mynetdiary.com/webDisplay...UserId=5546611

Despite my efforts I was not making as much progress as I would like in getting stronger. After lots of research, reading Starting Strength, Practical Programming for Strength Training and watching the Starting Strength video I have embarked on SS as of Sunday. The rest of my posts will be SS logs.

My previous workout was Bench Press, Power Clean, Inclined Press, Cable rows, Machine assisted Dips, Lat Pulldown, Abs, Squats. Monday was a heavy day, Wednesday light, and Friday Medium. My last heavy day on bench press was 90 lbs x 6, 110 lbs x 6, 125 lbs x 6, 135 lbs x 4, 145 lbs x 3, 155 lbs x 1. I wasn't trying to increase my squats and the power clean was increasing very slowly.

Yesterday began a new day.

Awesome. Crush it!

After warming up with a rowing machine I began. I started each lift with an empty bar and warmed up to about 80% of my working weight. My first day work sets:

Squat: 150 lbs x 5 rep x 3
    Press: 75 lbs x 5 rep x 3
    Deadlift: 155 lbs x 5 rep x 3

Week 1 Day 2

Squat 150 lb x 5 x 3
    Bench 135 lb x 5 x 3
    Power Clean 95 lb x 5 x 3

I don't have the strength to do pull-ups unassisted so I use the weight assisted pull-up/dip machine to offset some of my body weight. Today I did 3 sets of 5 with 60 lbs of assistance.

I can definitely feel the results of shifting the bar lower and going deeper in my squats. I am struggling with form on the power clean. Getting my elbows up is a challenge. I am using the war ups to work on form on all my lifts.

Great job, keep it up.

I was under the assumption that since I had been lifting three days a week before that I could do the same with SS. After the first two days I think that a lift 1, rest 2 recommended for older lifters is a better pattern for me. Forty-eight hours isn't sufficient recovery time. There is sometime during everyday I can get to the gym. Day three will be Friday instead of tomorrow.

Welcome to forum - you've come to the right place!

I concur that past 30, recovery (among other things) just takes more time. I find esp. squatting profits from 3-5 days rest in my case (or going light and heavy once a week), and after initial progress deadlifting on a weekly basis is plenty. Pressing and bench pressing though benefit from more frequent stimulus. Ultimately you'll quickly develop a feel for what works for you - everyone responds differently.

B. Shaw said youth is wasted on the young. Oh well. So true.

Two days of rest definitely helped. Day 3 Log

Warmup - Rowing for 5 minutes

Squats:

Warmup: 45 lbs x 5 x 2, 95 lbs x 5 x 1, 115 lbs x 3 x 1, 135 lbs x 1 x 1
    Work set: 160 lbs x 5 x 3

Press:

Warmup: 45 lbs x 5 x 1, 50 lbs x 5 x 1, 55 lbs x 2 x 1, 60 lbs x 2 x 1
    Work set: 80 lbs x 5 x 3

Deadlift:

Warmup: 95 lbs x 5 x 1, 135 lbs, x 2 x 1
    Work set : 175 lbs x 5 x 1

For what it's worth here is my progress with my previous workout:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-o...ew?usp=sharing

starting strength coach development program
    The previous link did work like I thought.

I'm pushing Monday's scheduled workout to Tuesday. I'm leaving town Wednesday and hope to find a gym close to the hotel where I can workout Saturday afternoon. If not it will be Monday before I can work out.
    Last edited by David Clark; 11-01-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add picture

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast