starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From Suck to Good: Plebe Year Log

Default From Suck to Good: Plebe Year Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Introduction: I am a 6 foot 1 19 year old plebe(freshman) at the United States Naval Academy and I have been following Starting Strength. After tearing my ACL (In a basketball game) during my junior year of high-school I followed Coach Rip's advice and built my squat up to 315 while preparing for my senior year of basketball. The newly acquired strength and body-weight led to a successful season in which I averaged 27 points per game. I am training to make the Naval Academy varsity basketball team during the 2015-2016 year.

Athletic History: I attended a Starting Strength Seminar as an 18 year old which was extremely beneficial to my form and confidence under the bar. Prior to Plebe Summer I also attended CT Fletcher's first-ever MASSTERPLAN Seminar. It was an eye-opening experience to see men of that size for a week of training. I went having no experience bodybuilding and I got my assed kicked day in and day out, but it taught me the level of intensity that is required to reach that level. I have an immense respect for those who bodybuild. I also got to shoot the shit with CT Fletcher which is pretty fucking cool. My senior year I ran a 100 meter dash in 11.1 seconds, a mile in 5 minutes 12 seconds, and I can dunk a basketball relatively easily. I think Crossfit may be the only thing worse than running long distance. Given the two I would choose a heart-attack.

Lifting Progress: My strength diminished to a low level following plebe summer as during the 2 month military indoctrination I was not able to lift weights. My progress from September 1, 2014 to today November 5, 2014 is as follows:

Squat 175lbs 3x5 to 330 3x5
    Deadlift 225lbs 1x5 to 360 1x5 (DO)
    Bench 135 3x5 to 195 3x5
    Power Clean 115 to 175 5x3
    Press 95 3x5 to 150 3x3
    Bodyweight: 186lbs to 201lbs
    Last edited by John Guerra; 11-05-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Welcome and best to you both in your Naval career and in your strength building.

Carson--Thank you for stopping by. I'm looking forward to logging here.

11/4 Workout: Squat 330 3x5 -- This was a PR
    11/5 Workout: Bench 200 3x5 -- This was a PR as well
    Direct Arm Work for 4 sets-- Yes I actually worked armz and it felt good god dammit.

Notes: As a plebe here I don't have much time as I can't be in the gym during study hour--8 pm to 11 pm--so I often have to split workouts over two days. Hasn't been a problem so far. Bench was tough but doable and I'm looking forward to 205. My Squat has been locked in for a while and I don't expect problems with 335. Next workout will be Deadlift on Friday with possible light squat and overhead press. In other news, our room got a perfect score on the "Alpha Inspection" so there's that.

Pre-Workout notes: We celebrated the Marine Corp Birthday with a 4-mile run in boots at 5:30 A.M. yesterday. I knew this would have consequences so I took out the squat and just deadlifted and pressed. I was satisfied with the results.

11/7 Workout:

Deadlift 375 1x 5(Unbelted) -- I was planning on 365, but that felt too easy so I pushed up a little. 375 wasn't difficult but my double overhand grip failed at rep 4 so I did the last two mixed grip. I will be using the hook grip for my work sets going forward.

Press (Belted) 155 3x3 -- PR but extremely difficult so I will be microloading going forward with this. Eventually I will use the greyskull reset on these, but I am hoping to push a few more pounds first.

Summary: Good day considering the circumstances of that run and little sleep. I will be back Sunday to Squat, Bench, and Power Clean. Goal is to be 205 by next week.
    Last edited by John Guerra; 11-08-2014 at 10:50 AM.

11/10 and Veterans' Day Training

Squat 335 3x5 -- PR
    Bench 205 1x5 2x4 -- PR
    Power Clean: 180 5x3 -- PR

Notes: This Squat was first time I hit 335 for a set of 5 -- the 15th rep was real tough but the first 14 felt nice. Bench was tough and my inability to grind out a tough rep on the bench killed me in the second set -- I need to get better at that somehow. Best Powercleans have felt in a long time too -- I finally was able to hear a bullet like sound when I landed. Next Workout is Thursday with light squat, press, and deadlift.
    Last edited by John Guerra; 11-11-2014 at 07:39 PM.

11/13

Light Squat: 265 2x5 -- relaxing
    Press: 157.5 3x3 -- PR
    Deadlift: 380x5 -- hook grip

Notes: I was able to get this workout done in an hour, which was great. Press felt 100x better than I thought it would -- there was a point where I thought my press was going to stall at 115 so I'm glad it is still improving. The hook grip is not very comfortable as of now, but I am expecting it to improve as it goes -- at least it is secure. Next workout is Saturday or Sunday depending on how things go and it will be Squat, Bench, and Power Clean.
    Last edited by John Guerra; 11-14-2014 at 06:46 AM.

11/16

Squat 345 3x5--PR

Notes: All I had time for today. Unfortunately I left my microplates back in my room so I had to add 10lbs to the bar. I summoned Karwoski's words about the glove compartment for today. It was difficult, but I made it happen. Looking to Bench and Powerclean on Tuesday with how this week's schedule shapes out.

Nice Job on the squats. Karwoski is a great motivator. I love his quote "You WANT it to be Heavy"

Ozdamo -- Thanks for stopping by -- Karwoski's SS video is one of the best out there.

11/18
    Bench 205 x4 175 x5 175 x 10 -- I got pissed off after 205 so I dropped weight and hit a max rep set which turned out pretty well. I am giving 205 one more shot before I just switch to 3x3 on the bench

Power Clean 185 4x3 -- I left one set out on these but it was pretty good. Some reps were a bit sloppy, but I'm getting better.

Summary: Next Workout will be Thursday with the light squat, Press, and Deadlift. I will also be throwing some med balls around earlier that morning to work on explosiveness. I don't believe that a few med ball throws will adversely affect my ability to progress, but I'll find out shortly.
    Last edited by John Guerra; 11-18-2014 at 08:03 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    11/20

Light Squat: 275 2x5
    Overhead Press: 160 2x2
    Deadlift: 385x5 (hook-grip)

Summary: I really didn't nail my recovery this week like I needed to as my calories were down and sleep was too little. Some BS PT was a factor, but bottom line is I didn't eat enough. I'm taking things in stride here: on one hand my upper-body lifts sucked this week, but my deadlift and power-clean felt great. Next workout will be heavy squat and I'm not sure what else. It might be time to transition to Texas Method for press and bench press.
    Last edited by John Guerra; 11-20-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast